Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Question Editing RTF Files

Hi all,

I was curious if anyone can help me. I have 2 books in RTF that I'd like to edit a couple of things with, and I was hoping someone could help me.

First, I'd like to be able to change the Title and add the author to the files to be displayed on my Reader and the Connect Software. for some reason, no matter what I do within the file, the Title and Author stays as is on both.

Second, I'd like to know how to create chapters within the documents that could show up on the Reader where I can skip to a chapter using my menu functions. They came through as one long document each. I'd like to split it up and have it where if I skip to chapter 3 it begins fresh as Chapter 3 when I skip to it.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer....

DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
that's why vvv gave us bookdesigner

rtf files are just one long stream of characters, no chapters, no toc, no graphics. create a lrf file in bookdesigner if you want that stuff

i use msword and setting the title and author within the msword edit session of the rtf works. setting it in windows doesn't.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Thank you,

After about an hour doing what I wanted to a particular book, I got exactly what I was looking for.....thank you very much Uncle Duke
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
While I don't want to rain on the BD parade (I use it myself, and like it a lot), there're a couple of other things you can do if you just need a quick adjustment.

You can open the file in Word and edit the document properties to add the meta-data in. The location on this varies from version to version, but under the File menu item is the place to start looking.

The other one is to manually insert the meta-data into the RTF via a plain text editor like NotePad (not WordPad). You can find details here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote