Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 07:06 AM   #1
Capodasello
Capodasello began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 8300
iLiad as a text editor

Hi everybody from Rome, I am new to the family.

I am considering buying an iRex iLiad for professional reasons. I frequently have to annotate documents (mostly Word, PowerPoint and PDF) on the go. I print them out, annotate with a pen, then fax them back to people who will have to make the changes. In addition, I am very frequently making notes during meeting that have to be then typed to be shared with others.

I am looking for a device that helps make all the above paperlessly. It looks iLiad could do it, but I have been unable to understand the details, and I hope iLiad users out there can help. Here are my questions:

1. Does iLiad allow only to annotate or also to create new handwritten documents? I am thinking using it as a notebook.

2. In what format will such new documents be created?

3. Can I visualize and annotate word and powerpoint documents, or do I need to convert in PDF document?

4. When I annotate a PDF document, will I be saving a new version of the document which includes the notes?

5. Will the notes be visible on a normal PDW viewer when I share the annotated document with somebody else not using a iLiad?

6. Is there any good handwriting recognition software available for iLiad (I am thinking converting a handwritten document in a typed one)?

Thanks a lot for your help on this.
Capodasello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
You can annotate pdf documents and create new handwritten notes. I use my iliad for taking notes in meetings and use the software available from irex to convert to editable documents.

You will ned to turn word and powerpoint documents into pdf in order to annotate.

The annotations done to pdf documents is a separate document to the pdf but simple tools are provided to merge the relevant pdf with its applicable annotation file.

I think the note files are png format.

Hope that helps
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Capodasello

Thanks Martin, this helps a lot.

Are you happy with your iLiad in terms of usability? Is the note taking experience sufficiently similar to paper (e.g. how slippery is the pen on the screen, how much pressure you need to put on the pen) to make it a smooth conversion? How easy is it to erase and correct?
Old 11-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
sergio
sergio began at the beginning.

Device: tugsten t, hp tc4200
hi, capodasello, I'm a fellow italian, iliad owner, but since I also own a Tablet pc, I would advise to use one of these, for the purpose you are talking about, annotating documents, you can annotate directly on Word, use the onenote software, and easily convert hand writing in text, ...without having to convert everything in PDF format..

ciao sergio
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
Capodasello

Sergio,

Agreed, yet I like the iLiad because of the eInk screen (I hate reading on a traditional computer screen and the "paper feel" of iLiad interface seems friendier) and I do not want to spend the money a tablet pc is going to cost me for functions that I will not use (since I have already a laptop I like and a desktop).

The key question: how good a substitute for a fully fledged tablet pc is the iLiad if only note taking is concerned? Is there comparable handwriting recognition software available to capture notes taken with the Iliad to what you would get for a tablet pc?

Ciao

Antonio
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
The pen does feel slippery on the iliad but I got used to it pretty quickly. My handwriting is very poor yet the software I bought from irex does a pretty good job despite my not yet completing the little training exercise to help the software figure out my writing style. You can create and load templates on the iliad for note taking which is pretty helpful. I find it easier to turn the iliad and write in landscape mode, longer lines that way. A lot of the notes I write on the iliad stay on the iliad such as shopping lists.

I have no experience with a tablet pc so can give no advice on comparisons. I find the iliad a delight to use. I love the experience with just straight reading but the ability to cart around pdf's for technical purposes is very helpful and so is the note taking.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't take notes on my iLiad, but I have the impression that handwriting recognition and merging notes into the PDF are done on a Windows PC. Or is the iLiad's stand-alone capability better than I thought? I don't view the need for a PC as a big deal, but I thought I would mention it for completeness.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote