Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
mitchell_iles
mitchell_iles doesn't littermitchell_iles doesn't littermitchell_iles doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire
Science Fiction

I'm a new kindle owner and I've decided to expand on my very limited knowledge of science fiction. Any suggestions for a newbie to the genre?
mitchell_iles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
First: Think about how important the science is to you. Most SF can be broken down into hard, believable science presentation (generally referred to as "SF") and soft, cool-looking but unrealistic science (referred to as "Sci-Fi"). There's some wiggle-room between them, and some famous novels (and novelists) walk the line between them admirably.

Then think about story types that interest you. SF generally gets into: Space exploration; alien encounters; technological developments; psychological exploration; futuristic conflict; futuristic political action/intrigue; futuristic adventure; and futuristic societies.

If you know what you prefer, just mention it online, and the list of potential books for you to read will be supplied to you by myriads of fans.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Go to the Baen Free Library. Nice selection of Space opera, mil sci-fi, and fantasy. All DRM Free.

http://www.baen.com/library/

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to highly recommend the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons. There are 4 books in the series. I have read the first two and they are very good.

1. Hyperion 01 - Hyperion
2. Hyperion 02 - The Fall of Hyperion
3. Endymion
4. The Rise of Endymion

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-13-2012 at 02:27 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell_iles View Post
I'm a new kindle owner and I've decided to expand on my very limited knowledge of science fiction. Any suggestions for a newbie to the genre?
Here's a thread that will give you a good insight as to what folks on this board think is the best in Science Fiction:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142009

Enjoy. It is a grand adventure that I've spent 45+ years on and never exhausted my sense of wonder.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I think Steven has the right track. There is such a difference between sub-genres and some authors assume a grounding in the genre. Charlie Stross is one of my favorite authors but a new SF reader will likely be thrown by how much he assumes of his readers.

I've been a fan of the cyberpunk subgenre since it was invented. So I'll suggest a couple of classics, Neuromancer by William Gibson and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (much more intended humor in Stephenson's books). If you like short stories more then maybe Vernor Vinge's "True Names" collection would work. But the whole subgenre might not be your cup of tea.

If you like aliens you might prefer Vernor Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep" and "A Deepness in the Sky."
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Good advice here so far...

I got into the Liaden series last year and loved it...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132919

You might want to try the first couple Honor Harrington books from the Baen free library mentioned above, that's a pretty popular series.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
I second the Hyperion recommendation. The first book of the series is one of the best sci-fi I have ever read. The sequels, while not so good, are still better than the average.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
What kind of books do you normally like to read? Are you open to YA (young adult) novels? I think those can be a good "intro" to sci fi.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
unfortunately most of what i would recommend like Ringworld by Larry Niven or Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke aren't in ebook format yet for whatever reason.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
mitchell_iles
mitchell_iles doesn't littermitchell_iles doesn't littermitchell_iles doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire
Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. I will check them out immediately.

I generally read horror, paranormal, adventure and comedic works but enjoy some of most genres.

Thanks again,

M
mitchell_iles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Don't forget Project Guteneberg's science fiction bookshelf. Everything in it is free and there are some very good selections indeed.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. I will check them out immediately.

I generally read horror, paranormal, adventure and comedic works but enjoy some of most genres.

Thanks again,

M
Then I highly recommend the Heirs of Alexandria Series. The 1st book is in the Baen Free Library.

http://www.baenebooks.com/m-1-baen-b...urerFilterID=1

enjoy bernie
Old 01-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:

Thanks again,

M
i'd highly recommend the works of Larry Correia then, specifically Monster Hunter International and Hard Magic. they're a mix of all 4 of those: action/adventure novels filled with monsters and super powered folk with a light comedic tone running through them. they're not sexual or obscenity filled either (i don't know what anyone's sensibilities are but i'm sure that's a plus for many folks.)
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post

Thanks again,

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i'd highly recommend the works of Larry Correia then, specifically Monster Hunter International and Hard Magic. they're a mix of all 4 of those: action/adventure novels filled with monsters and super powered folk with a light comedic tone running through them. they're not sexual or obscenity filled either (i don't know what anyone's sensibilities are but i'm sure that's a plus for many folks.)
Do not start Monster Hunter International at night, because you will not be able to put it down until your are done with it. Then you will want to read it again.

http://www.baenebooks.com/c-108-mons...ry-coreia.aspx

enjoy bernie

Last edited by gbm; 01-13-2012 at 08:58 PM.