Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you re-read books? (Select all that apply)
Never 23 5.71%
Sometimes I look something up for reference later 46 11.41%
I often look something up in a book I've previously read 48 11.91%
I re-read a few favorites multiple times, cover to cover 194 48.14%
I re-read many books (2 or more times), cover to cover 157 38.96%
If I'm away from my library for very long, I go into withdrawal symptoms! 57 14.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Do you re-read books?

This isn't a scientific poll, because only a subset of Mobileread participants will probably contribute, and we're not exactly a random selection of the population, but I'm curious about how many people here read books more than once.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The only books I reread are (mainly scientific) non-fiction ones, and those I usually don't read on an e-book reader (due to limited screen size).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm curious -- does the limited screen size present a problem because of diagrams, or text?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In my opinion, a lot of the books of the type Alex mentioned are large and do have a lot of diagrams. And sometimes color is important. The current eink readers are not sized properly for books of this type. I know the iLiad would be the best one, but it's still not wide enough. And if color is needed, then it's a bust no matter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Most of the reference books I use are text and tables. Maybe one diagram in 200 pages. What I need for them is an index or a very detailed TOC. Most of my day-to-day reference books are supplied to me in Word format often with the tables also available in Excel. Great for cut and paste operations.

I seldom reread fiction -- I get bored too quick. Some books, like Ben Franklin's Autobiography, can be read again and again. These are very rare for me.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2007, 01:14 AM   #6
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
As mentioned in another post I only buy a (leisure fiction or non fiction) book that I think I will reread. In fact I rarely read a book cover to cover that I do not want to reread at least partly. For me a book either grabs me or not, and if not I will drop it since I already have enough books that I want to read or reread.

In general I have about 10-15 fiction books/magazines on tap and 3-4 non-fiction books (mostly history, math problems/puzzles or general physics) that I read from (currently 3-4 SF anthologies/mags - Eclipse 1, Escape Velocity, Aeon 11, Challenging Destiny 24, and several sf/fantasy/hist books, Traitor and Tyrant by M. Cisco, The Bone Key by S. Monette, Radiant by JA Gardner, Endgame by K. Smith, Ghost Portrait by G. Norminton, The Lion of Venice by M. Frutkin, Gentlemen of the Road by M. Chabon and several others a bit lower on my list now) switching until one grabs me.

When a "buy and read on publication" arrives, I drop those and read that one until I finish and maybe reread at least parts of it (currently just finished War Machine by A. Remic, started The Somnambulist by J. Barnes with At the Court of the Air by S. Hunt waiting immediately after).

Of course if in the meantime I get in a different mood, I turn to other books on my waiting list (got 50-60 more easily), I may reread something...

This is why it's crucial for me to have guaranteed access (with prudent backups of course) to all my e-books too as I have to my print books...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:49 AM   #7
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Really good fiction gets re-read. I have read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories several times, since I was young. Also some Mark Twain, the Miss Marple stories and others. Given enough time, it is in some ways better than reading the story for the first time. You remember enough to know the overall story and the characters, but don't remember all the details, so it is still enjoyable. You can also get more out of it, as you pickup details that you missed before.

Of course, technical information gets re-read as needed.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #8
strangeseraph
Connoisseur
strangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I re-read. Not all the time, but I'm a Harry Potter fan so I have to have my HP books nearby at hand in case the urge should strike. I'm also a speed reader.
strangeseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I do revisit some of my favourites. From Sherlock Holmes to the The Three Musketeers to things like the Belgariad.

I also reread the previous books to a series before I get the new release. This means I've read Honor Harrington books a lot. Not to mention the Wheel of Time!
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
A
When a "buy and read on publication" arrives, I drop those and read that one until I finish a.

Of course if in the meantime I get in a different mood, I turn to other books on my waiting list (got 50-60 more easily), I may reread something...

This is why it's crucial for me to have guaranteed access (with prudent backups of course) to all my e-books too as I have to my print books...
I was thinking that I was alone in this habit. Good to know there are others that skip around too.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I re-read books/series I like all the time. I've got hundreds of books I've read more than once, many more than two or three times.

Since I'm big on re-reading I'm afraid to lock into any DRM scheme. I'll stick to MS Lit so I have something I can convert & read on whatever device I might have at the time. If I was going to 'trust' one DRM scheme at this point it'd probably be Mobi I think, but for some reason I just can't get myself to make that leap.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Usually I abhore rereading but... there is an instance where it happened, yes I failed. HP6 before HP7
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #13
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I rarely reread unless it is an old classic I like such as a good Graham Greene novel...

HP never have: NEVER will

hidari

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Usually I abhore rereading but... there is an instance where it happened, yes I failed:grin. HP6 before HP7
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #14
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
I re-read by accidental more often than purposefully, when I start reading a book only to realize after a time that I've read it before, maybe twenty years ago under a different title. But since I don't remember details, I'll finish it again. And there are a couple of books I'll read again on purpose when I'm hospitalized.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
Inna
Inna began at the beginning.

Device: PDF
Re-reading favourite books is like re-watching favourite films. I really like it.
Inna is offline   Reply With Quote