Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
kado
Enthusiast
kado began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
Urgent Need for a Super-Simple Setup

Hi everyone,

My 65 year old mom is leaving shortly and I am trying to setup her Nook Classic with the functions she'll need before she sets off. Time is off the essence; therefore, I initiated this thread hoping that your prompt contribution will be available in no time.

This thread will also act as a cover-up as to what needs to be done for a Nook Classic to operate at its minimum as my mom's needs are very limited -no browsing, no music, no fancy programs, but just:
1) non-western (custom) font friendly epubs
2) non-western (custom) font friendly system/user interface
3) cover flow function working for all sideloaded epubs as if they are purchased from B&N

I am sure you all have already noticed Nook Classic does not support non-latin fonts neither in epubs nor in the system. This is a feature that a next generation Nook owner takes for granted, but not Nook Classic owners unfortunately.

So, in order to sort the font issue out for all epubs, I implement Extra CSS trick for custom fonts (in my case it is Turkish), and it seems to be working fine. If anyone is in this situation, here is the link of the whole story finally heading to a success:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=36361&page=18

It is all thanks to Jackie_W and if you find the link helpful in your case, please do not forget to add her karma as she deserves much more than my humble 2 points.

Therefore:

1) Case is closed, it took days though.

2) Since the system fonts are not non-western font friendly, book titles are again messy. I noticed in many threads there are ways to replace system fonts with custom equivalents; but I am not sure how to do it as there are unclear and mixed instructions in many forums; and they are not so clear for what equipment they would work for.

The Nook Classic I have has firmware 1.7.0 and its serial number starts with 10113 as displayed within settings menu.

3) To activate cover flow, do I have to root or softroot Nook Classic based on the parameters stated above; and if yes, how? Could anyone suggest a link to a working step-by-stey guide for Nook Classic?

Many thanks in advance and happy new year to everyone.

Last edited by kado; 01-02-2012 at 04:03 AM.
kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I guess it's too late now?
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
kado
Enthusiast

I see your point Ubermensch; but it will still be a good new year present. Well it was something I should have done when I first presented the Nook Classic to mom months ago but I didn't know what to do then. I hope this time, I will...

Mom has already been using it but for a very limited number of books. Now I have more epubs but need to improve the gizmo first.

So, I have one more week. Mom is just visiting me and will be waiting for this to complete. Never is late Ubermensch.

Last edited by kado; 01-02-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
kado
Enthusiast

Uhh, on a second thought, by asking if "it is too late now?" if you mean the Nook Classic is outdated now and I should switch to another and modern ereader, I can only say this:

Despite all the font issues Nook Classic had built-in and with all due respect, I still think this gizmo is unique. There is no another hybrid ereader which combines benefits of e-ink technology for mom's 65 year old eyes, without having to refrain from the joy of seeing colorful cover pages. Only that way I thought she would feel the actual books she sees in bookstores truly reside inside this small equipment. She truly adores it. With this respect, I still think this Nook Classic is the best I have ever seen in the market. That was the main reason why I bought it almost a year ago. I noticed shortly after purchase, the infamous non-latin font issues it had but dind't know what to do then. And I had to say goodbye to mom till a week ago. It is a good opportunity for me now to bring this piece of equipment to the level of its modern counterparts with non-latin font friendly interface and flying covers. That's the only thing she would need, nothing more or fancy. Why am I dreaming of this? Because after reading almost all forums for the past week in this regard, I now know it can be done.

Another important thing is Jackie_W's support on this issue. She put enormous work on this and was extremely helpful; therefore, I cannot let her efforts go to wastebin. Please support her with your generous karma as well.

Many thanks for your time.

Last edited by kado; 01-02-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
kado
Enthusiast

Ohh gosh! On another thought, if you mean due to the automatic update Nook Classic made to upgrade itself to 1.7.0 when I first connected it to wifi internet after months, therefore it is now late, well, please confirm so that I will not bother anybody for now at least.

Last edited by kado; 01-02-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
kado
Enthusiast

3 different interpretations out of one simple sentence Ubermensch...

I truly wonder now if I could come up with another one shortly...

Last edited by kado; 01-02-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Tags
cover, epub, nook classic, root