Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Only one paper book

So far this year I've read

18 ebooks
12 audio books
1 paper book

I have little desire to read paper books. I consider a hassle to read them now.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I've read;

2 Pbooks

43 Ebooks.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I've read:

30 ebooks
4 paper
0 audio
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I just read three paperbacks in a row, and ... I liked it. I liked flipping through pages and holding the books and using paper bookmarks. I liked being able to quickly go back a page or two to check something, and to flip to the end of the book to check an endnote or a reference.

I did find myself occasionally trying to increase the font size, however.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
Why is it a hassle to read a paper book?
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimarenda View Post
Why is it a hassle to read a paper book?
Hassle to hold (I tend to read thick books).
Can't change the font size.
Isn't self lit.
One side of the book puts the other side of the book in shadow.
Words curve into the spine.
I can't pull out my phone and pick up where I left off when I'm out and about.
Can't click on a word and see it's definition.

Lee
Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Paper books... Those are those things that look nice in a bookcase, right?

Shimarenda: ease of use, ease of taking it with you, ease of finding a certain spot, ease to use a dictionary if you don't know a word... Oh wait, make that difficult instead of ease... Not to mention the cramps in my hand, trying to keep the book open at the right spot and annoyance when you can't find you bookmark when you want to put the book away...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I've read 7 paper books this year (couldn't get some of my book club books on e-book).

I've lost count of how many e-books I've read. Well over 150.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
Ah, got it. These are just problems I don't have when I read a book, and I don't take my reader everywhere with me, so that's no different. The only "hassle" my wife and I have with paper books is lack of shelf space, but that has nothing to do with the act of reading them.

Of the six books I've finished this year, two were paper.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've read about 15 paper books. Mainly because I didn't have the ebook forms at the time.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Mind you, my point really wasn't "paper books are something I refuse to read". It speaks more to the fact that I have plenty of reading material in ebook/audio book for.

The one paper book I read was because my daughter had bought it and read it.

My sister thought I'd like to get a copy of the Steve Job's biography for Christmas. And I would have, except I downloaded it the day it was released. No need to drive anywhere.

What I asked for instead was an Amazon gift certificate. On Christmas day, she'll give me the certificate, and I'll buy the new Tom Clancy. No need for either of us to go shopping.

I like the experience of reading ebooks better. They are much more convenient to buy. Ergo, without TRYING, ebooks have simply replaced paper books....for me.

Lee
Old 12-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Zero paper books, and perhaps 7 audiobooks.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
19 Paper Books
34 Ebooks
3 Audiobooks (Including Volume 1 of Das Kapital)

I sorted them according to the modality of consumption that was dominant. I frequently 'read' a book using paper, electronic, and audio versions, shifting to the most convenient format as I go throughout my day. Das Kapital, for example, I listened to while driving/walking around (using the version at Librivox.org) and then consulted the electronic version at the Marxist Internet Archive (marxists.org) to review what I had listened to and to make notes. I would also occasionally consult my paperback version; I even checked out the Fowkes translation from my local library to compare it with the Aveling translation that was used for the ebook and audiobook. Del Toro's the Fall was almost half-consumed as an Audiobook and Perdido Street station was consumed as all three, with a plurality going to the paperback I checked out from the library.

Last edited by luqmaninbmore; 12-20-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Forgot two ebooks that I read over the weekend.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote