Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Apple Store Rejecting ePubs with chapter images...

I've just had a Client tell me not to use images in place of chapter headings from now on because the Apple store are now rejecting epubs with images.

Can this really be true?

I tweeted Liz castro.

Her reply:
Quote:
I have heard the Apple will refuse ePubs with images the contain text. All text should be HTML
Are Apple really Serious?

How are people suppose to add font design elements into ePub without embedding fonts, now???

I'm flabbergasted if this is true!!!

Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can embed fonts in ePub for use with iBooks and it works. I've done it.

But in order to sell the ePub, you have to have the rights to embed the the font(s).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Font embedding aside... "no images that contain text" is a pretty ridiculous (not to mention random) restriction. And how would they even know? Are they proposing to OCR each and every image looking for alpha-numerics?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Font embedding aside... "no images that contain text" is a pretty ridiculous (not to mention random) restriction. And how would they even know? Are they proposing to OCR each and every image looking for alpha-numerics?
Apple's requirements seem to get stranger and stranger.

They would probably spot-check the images, looking for text.

I suppose they want all text in html so they can grep for illicit text, such as advertisements for other sites, pricing information, etc. that isn't allowed in the iBookstore.

Hmm, I hope this doesn't apply to the cover image!
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
So... they'd reject all graphs, diagrams, maps...

Somehow I doubt it.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
So... they'd reject all graphs, diagrams, maps...

Somehow I doubt it.

Graham
That's what I'm thinking, Graham. Something stinks, here.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote