Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.
 
Posts: 397
Karma: 85500
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sydney
Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
can I use generic microUSB wall charger?

I have a generic micro USB wall charger which I use to charge my Samsung galaxy phone, it has a output of 5V, I wonder if it is safe to use it to charge the T1 reader?
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #2
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
feenix1363's Avatar
 
Posts: 194
Karma: 233336
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK
Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Should be, mine has been OK and I charge from a micro-USB phone charger as well.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.
 
Posts: 423
Karma: 75216
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: old europe
Device: Kobo Mini
It is safe! As stated in many other threads here...

Background: Charge current regulation is done by the device, not by the charger. The charger is nothing but a power supply.

Samsung is a good brand. But I definitely won't use a cheapo USB charger.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur
caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.
 
Posts: 61
Karma: 7586
Join Date: Nov 2010
Device: Sony daily edition 950
I have a follow=up question on that. If I can use the wall charger from my phone in the US, can I also do the same in Europe , or would it fry the reader
caribbean_spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Lalilulelo
Enthusiast
Lalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the rough
 
Lalilulelo's Avatar
 
Posts: 41
Karma: 7298
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Algeria
Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbean_spur View Post
I have a follow=up question on that. If I can use the wall charger from my phone in the US, can I also do the same in Europe , or would it fry the reader
I think it should work the same as long as it plugs into the wall socket, except sockets are not the same all across Europe (UK different from French for instance and French being the same as US?). You would need an adaptor or whatever it is called, to come between the charger and the socket in case they don't fit.
Lalilulelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 3,117
Karma: 9269999
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK
Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
If you're like me and have any x50's the wall charger from those is also fine.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
nosnoop
Enthusiast
nosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavens
 
Posts: 45
Karma: 13564
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: Kindle Paperwhite; PRS-T1
I can't understand why, but it did not work with my original iPhone USB wall charger.

My PRS-T1 screen went blank and reset itself the moment I plugged it in.
nosnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #8
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.
 
Posts: 423
Karma: 75216
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: old europe
Device: Kobo Mini
The charger should correctly rated regarding AC in voltage, of course Most chargers are multi-ranged, i.e. 100-240V. But if it is rated 110V for US, it will burn in EU.

i**-Chargers are non-standard!!!

A proper usb charger has to short-circuit USB data wires such that the device recognizes it as being a charger, not a computer device.

Have a look here for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Charging_ports

i**-Chargers are different...

Last edited by uboot; 12-08-2011 at 04:09 AM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #9
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.
 
Posts: 239
Karma: 16806
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Kobo Aura One
My iGo charger will charge the T1 as well as my 650. I just ordered my Dad adapters from iGo's website for when he travels since I am getting him an iGo charger for Christmas. Of course, today he asked me what charger he should buy. I had to tell him to hold off. We'll see how smart he is and if he figured it out.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
mediax's Avatar
 
Posts: 250
Karma: 1058454
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Swindon, UK
Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I can't understand why, but it did not work with my original iPhone USB wall charger.
I've seen this in similar threads about chargers for the PRS-650, and the general consensus seemed to be that Apple do something proprietary with their wiring that stops the charger working on non-Apple devices (and presumably stops non-Apple chargers working on iPhones).
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #11
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.
 
Posts: 423
Karma: 75216
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: old europe
Device: Kobo Mini
iGo charger is not Apple and thus may work fine.

What I meant to say is: Apple chargers (iPhone, IPad, etc.) are non standard, i.e. they do have special circuitry (resistors between data and supply lines) such that an Apple device recognized it as being an Apple charger.

Non-apple-devices may get irritated by this.

The correct pinout is described at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Charging_ports

You can verify this by measuring the resistance between the two inner pins in the middle of the usb plug. Should be zero.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #12
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter
 
IndecisiveMe's Avatar
 
Posts: 276
Karma: 106
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
I've seen this in similar threads about chargers for the PRS-650, and the general consensus seemed to be that Apple do something proprietary with their wiring that stops the charger working on non-Apple devices (and presumably stops non-Apple chargers working on iPhones).
I've been using my iPhone 3Gs USB wall charger happily with my Pocketbook 360 for two years. I've just bought a T1 (haven't opened it yet, it's a Christmas present from my husband) and had assumed this would work, too.

I'm in Australia, no idea if that makes a difference.

I've also bought one as a gift for my mother. She had a stroke a couple of years ago and is no longer very savvy with technical things. I was hoping giving her one of my spare iPhone chargers was going to be the easy way for her to charger her reader.

Has anyone else tried an iPhone charger with success? I saw one person in another thread that said it worked fine.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 52,567
Karma: 47532967
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Sony Readers have never worked with Apple USB chargers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:06 AM   #14
nosnoop
Enthusiast
nosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavens
 
Posts: 45
Karma: 13564
Join Date: Nov 2011
Device: Kindle Paperwhite; PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
Has anyone else tried an iPhone charger with success? I saw one person in another thread that said it worked fine.
My T1's screen went blank and reset itself as soon as I plug it into my iPhone USB charger.

So no, don't try it.
nosnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #15
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter
 
IndecisiveMe's Avatar
 
Posts: 276
Karma: 106
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
My T1's screen went blank and reset itself as soon as I plug it into my iPhone USB charger.

So no, don't try it.
When you say "reset itself" do you mean it rebooted? Or wiped everything it contained?

If it was merely a reboot, it might be worth me trying it out. I find it odd that it's working for some and not others.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB Wall Charger RedRoverJ Kobo Reader 53 01-02-2014 05:26 AM
Buy WTB wall charger or car charger, Cruz Reader r101 fkeese Flea Market 1 08-12-2011 01:45 PM
PRS-350 Can I use my Kindle wall charger? BeccaPrice Sony Reader 10 07-21-2011 11:30 PM
K2 wall charger safe to use with K3? ficbot Amazon Kindle 3 02-02-2011 04:23 PM
Help! Is my problem the K1 or it's charger (wall) texasnightowl Amazon Kindle 5 05-19-2010 03:43 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.