Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Zabet
Zabet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Removing "New" stamp in covers view

I hate the look of the "New" stamp on all my books, is there a way to remove it without opening each book individually?
Zabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Easily and user friendly? No.

Not very user friendly, Yes. It requires some knowledge of RDMS.

There is a SQL Lite database that drives the T1 books metadata on the filesystem (books.db). Check the books table in this database. If the readingtime column is null, it shows the new flag. So you can simply update the column to any time and the new flag will go away.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
You don't say what reader you have. PRS+ now lets you manually set the new tag. The Order Books utility also lets you set or remove the tag also very easily without having to change your firmware if you'd prefer that method.

Or if you can find which file your reader stores the info, it's a simple matter of editing the file. For the x50 series of readers:

Open the file "database\cache\cacheExt.xml". Each book title needs opened="true" added to it. Change true to false if you want the new tags back on all books.

But again, depends on what reader you have.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point. I assumed OP was asking about the new Sony Reader, model PRS-T1. The previous readers do not use a sqlite database.

Last edited by log; 11-23-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Zabet

I have the prs-t1, but I can't find any options to remove it. Perhaps it is right in front of my face and I'm just not seeing it.
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
log

Sorry Zabet, as I said, there is no "user friendly" options to do this instead of opening each book at least once.

The option I gave to do it all at once requires you to go under the hood (and also requires you're comfortable in doing so).
Old 11-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Zabet

Thanks Log, since my library isn't that large (I always remove books after reading them) I will just take a little time and do it manually.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Log,

I'm willing to try it because it does drive me crazy that most of my "new" books aren't new. They have been read but they are new to this reader only. Saying I have 200 new books is annoying especially when I know that number is really more like 20-25 books.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
You don't say what reader you have. PRS+ now lets you manually set the new tag. The Order Books utility also lets you set or remove the tag also very easily without having to change your firmware if you'd prefer that method.

Or if you can find which file your reader stores the info, it's a simple matter of editing the file. For the x50 series of readers:

Open the file "database\cache\cacheExt.xml". Each book title needs opened="true" added to it. Change true to false if you want the new tags back on all books.

But again, depends on what reader you have.
Brilliant! Thank you so much for this. I did a search and replace on .epub"> and replaced it with .epub" opened="true"> having taken the precaution of saving a copy of the original file somewhere safe first. Worked a treat and no more of those irritating "new" tags.

Cheers
Deddajay - PRS-650
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #10
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
There's a really cool calibre plugin for the x50s that removes the new tag too.
I think it installed by default, but I didn't notice it until there was an update in October.
It removes all books from the 'unread collection' and just takes a second or two.
I wish it worked for the T1!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Which plugin is this???
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
retro
Groupie

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Which plugin is this???
[GUI Plugin] Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List

Thanks to Karl for all his work on it!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ader+book+list
Old 12-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Thanks for the reply, though the details look awfully confusing!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
retro
Groupie

I didn't do anything to configure it or install it. When it showed up as an updated plugin, I let it update and add it to the toolbar. Then used the option to clear the new button. Couldn't be easier.