Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
mclien
42, the answer
mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Pocketbook 603
general android question(s)

Since I'm intrested in a nook touch and this would be my first adroid device, some questions to android in general:
as I understand it you need an google account to be able to get acces to the android market?
And this this the only way to get new software?
and is there a diffrence between pre-installed and root-ed devices?
mclien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
as I understand it you need an google account to be able to get access to the android market?
Yes.

Quote:
And this this the only way to get new software?
No. Some dev uses their own website, there is slide me, the amazon app (if you're in the US).

Quote:
and is there a difference between pre-installed and root-ed devices?
"root" is the admin user on android. Basically rooting means you can do stuff the "normal" user won't be able it do.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
mclien
42, the answer
mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Pocketbook 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
"root" is the admin user on android. Basically rooting means you can do stuff the "normal" user won't be able it do.
I'm aware of that. What I ment is: When I install another android version (not one from the original supplier), like mentioned here:
http://nookdevs.com/NookTouch_Rooting
Do I still use the ways as with the original andriod or do I got other ways from then on?
mclien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yes ... and no, the real answer is that it depends on which "custom ROM" you use. Some are just the vanilla Android and have the things that were supplied by Google that the manufacturer may or may not have left. Some take out all the manufacturer supplied "bloat wear" and others change which version of Android you have.

It all depends on what the ROM developer thinks is important. And everyone is different, so there will be many different ROMs. You just need to read the forums and decide which one is closest to what you think is important.

Last edited by wodin; 11-21-2011 at 12:56 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote