Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
Tell me about the on screen keyboard

Is it good to use or frustrating?
Is anyone using the vox to reply on this forum....?
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
At first I was on my desktop, but i took time to open my vox just to reply to this. I can type really easily with this keyboard, sure not as fast as with my desktop, but still fast.

All this was type with the vox in portrait mode(the small key).
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Haesslich
Evangelist
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've used it to reply on this forum. It's standard Gingerbread, which makes it slightly frustrating. Look for a more thumb-friendly tablet-oriented keyboard app - I just wish you could get Thumb Keyboard on this.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I've never used a thumb keyboard before, but I think I'd like it!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
It's ok but then I've been a touch typist since when I took manual (non electric) typewriters in high school. And I've been programming computers ever since.

(Indeed I have 8 or 9 of my favourite keyboard once I realize they stopped making that ergonomic layout anymore. At about 5 - 8 years life per keyboard I should be good until I die.)
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
ron1959
Connoisseur

Ok question for you guys using your thumbs.
Seems to me like portrait mode would be cramped and top heavy & landscape mode would be too wide to reach all over with thumbs?
comments....?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
ron1959
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
It's ok but then I've been a touch typist since when I took manual (non electric) typewriters in high school. And I've been programming computers ever since.

(Indeed I have 8 or 9 of my favourite keyboard once I realize they stopped making that ergonomic layout anymore. At about 5 - 8 years life per keyboard I should be good until I die.)
Hi Tony - do you lay the tablet flat on a table on the table for touch typing?
I always thought it would be difficult to view the screen that way but I guess if the angle is ok for reading it should be ok for typing.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Haesslich
Evangelist
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1959 View Post
Ok question for you guys using your thumbs.
Seems to me like portrait mode would be cramped and top heavy & landscape mode would be too wide to reach all over with thumbs?
comments....?
It is. That's why there are special apps which split the keyboard and move it to the corners, so you don't have to reach around so far... and it's easier to type that way than to put the tablet down to peck and keys.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Dunno if the Vox supports it, but if it does, load Swype ASAP. It's the only way to "type" on a screen keyboard.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
pokee
Fanatic
pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post

I also learned touch typing on a manual typewriter in high school! I can type about 70 wpm...but the touch screen keyboards drive me nuts. I just can't seem to type quickly on them. I've tried to touch type with my hubby's ipad and I make about 10 mistakes per sentence. I seem to have more success thumb typing - but honestly, I just try do do most of my typing on a 'real' keyboard!!!

That's funny about your collections of keyboards! I hate those ergonomic things, but I know some people love 'em.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I find it really easy to type on the Vox. Much nicer than an iPhone, Blackberry, or iPad. I prefer typing in portrait mode, I find the size of the keys and the spacing is perfect for my hands. (I have replied to some forum posts with the Vox, but not this time).
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #12
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
The Vox keyboard is a reskin of the standard Gingerbread keyboard. In my (obviously biased) opinion, it is one of the nicer tablet keyboards I've used. Way, way better than stock. Personally, I find it better in portrait than landscape, though...

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1959 View Post
Hi Tony - do you lay the tablet flat on a table on the table for touch typing?
No, 95% of the time I'm using the Vox so far is in my comfortable recliner chair. So I'm resting it on my err substantial belly holding it with my left hand and hitting the keys with my right hand.

I can see, now how shall I put this politically correctly, some women not being able to use this technique due to err obstructions.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
That's funny about your collections of keyboards! I hate those ergonomic things, but I know some people love 'em.
The style of the keyboards is so old that the primary connector on is the large round PC XT style. Not the smaller PS/2 connecter. It did come with a PC XT <> PS/2 adapter. And I have another PS/2 <> USB adapter. Bizarre but it works.

Now being the paranoid pessimist that I am three of those keyboards are stored at three different friends houses and one is in my vehicle. Those are my backups in case the house burns.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
Haesslich
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
The Vox keyboard is a reskin of the standard Gingerbread keyboard. In my (obviously biased) opinion, it is one of the nicer tablet keyboards I've used. Way, way better than stock. Personally, I find it better in portrait than landscape, though...

James
Landscape is why you need split keyboards. It's more of an issue in that mode, but even portrait on anything bigger than a 7" tablet is pain with the stock keyboard. As it is, I find I can be more efficient with one even on the Kobo as I don't need to reach over into the middle of the screen for some of the more commonly used keys (t, r, f, v, c) in typing.