Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
ebookof
Enthusiast
ebookof began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Pocketbook unstable regardless of what I try

Hi,

I have had the Pocketbook IQ for some time now. I have rooted it several times using the approach below and the non-ugly market install:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=146

Unfortunately, recently, the Pocketbook IQ has become really unstable. Even if I reflash the unit using the approach above, it remains unstable.

What I am starting to think is that there might be something I am unable to delete when I restart the sequence and that might cause the instability.

I usually start by deleting the partitions on my SD card, formating it, and then redoing the partitions. After that, I flash firmware 2.0.6 and do a factory reset after it loads the first time. Only then do I flash the other components.

Despite the extra measures I have taken to start things over, is it possible that something is remaining on the internal card/memory?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
ebookof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I am far from an expert, so I can only offer this piece of advice: perhaps using a new internal card might do the trick??
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
musicman2523
Groupie
musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook iq 701
Don't believe it's the internal card.
un root and reload 2.06 and see if it's stable.
musicman2523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Usually, when a system is unstable, it could be because of the way the file permissions are set up.

Can you give a step-by step account telling precisely what you did and in what order? That could help figuring it out.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
ebookof
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
Usually, when a system is unstable, it could be because of the way the file permissions are set up.

Can you give a step-by step account telling precisely what you did and in what order? That could help figuring it out.
Here is what I do:

1) Remove all the partitions on my SD card and reformat.
2) Create three partitions on my SD card: FAT32, ext3 (approx. 300MB), and linux swap (approx. 300MB).

Then, I follow the method described at: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=146

3) Flash 2.0.6
4) As an added precaution, I do a factory reset and reflash 2.0.6 to make sure that nothing remains from previous installations.
5) Flash a2sd
6) Flash fake AV Patch
7) Flash market install and follow the steps described in "non ugly market Install" as described below for 2.0.6 (including the restore framework):
- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...11&postcount=2
- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=21

I tried using the method above without the fake AV Patch (which apparently would be a source of instability... apparently due to Titanium Backup), but without it, I am unable to get access to functions such as installing programs on the external SD card.

So that's about it for the steps I am following.

I will wait on the new patch you (Icewyng) are working on instead of starting again with this method.
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookof View Post
I tried using the method above without the fake AV Patch (which apparently would be a source of instability... apparently due to Titanium Backup), but without it, I am unable to get access to functions such as installing programs on the external SD card.
Made the same experiencewith the Fake AV patch.
Why don't you just root it with Z4Root and then install TB from a backup. This way mine runs stable
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
ebookof
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Made the same experiencewith the Fake AV patch.
Why don't you just root it with Z4Root and then install TB from a backup. This way mine runs stable
Could you describe the whole process?

What steps do you follow to have the devices rooted, have access to android market and be able to install programs on the SD card?

I tried z4root in the past, but I was not able to get all this working.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For rooting 2.0.6 I used superOneclick, for software and howto ask google, drivers installed via PDANet, freeware to be found on the net, can be uninstalled after the drivers are on. Market via "Non ugly Market Install".

2.1.1 rooted with Z4Root, got the APK from my other tablet, just run it and when it reboots you're done (check for Superuser in App drawer). Unfortunately no market for that. Tried changing fingerprint but there seems to be more.

For Apps on SD either App2SD from Market or Link2SD, howto was posted here some time ago, just look
Old 11-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
ebookof
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
For rooting 2.0.6 I used superOneclick, for software and howto ask google, drivers installed via PDANet, freeware to be found on the net, can be uninstalled after the drivers are on. Market via "Non ugly Market Install".
Can you reexplain how you did it on 2.0.6? You lost me.

I understand you used SuperOneClick to root the IQ. However, I am not sure I understand the next steps including the reference to drivers and PDANet. No need to explain the "Non Market Ugly Install".

Thanks in advance for the clarifications.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 AM   #10
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookof View Post
Can you reexplain how you did it on 2.0.6? You lost me.

I understand you used SuperOneClick to root the IQ. However, I am not sure I understand the next steps including the reference to drivers and PDANet. No need to explain the "Non Market Ugly Install".

Thanks in advance for the clarifications.
PDANet is a software for your Android phone and your computer to share an internet connection. This is pretty useless, but if you connect an Android device to your PC and then install PDANet it will install all ADB drivers for every Phone you connect. You need this drivers to run SuperOneClick.
As I had some problems with installing ADB drivers for my varios Android devices this is a very good way to do this. After your IQ is recognized by your PC you can uninstall the programm from both PC and IQ, the drivers remain.
Superoneclick may suggest your IQ is already rooted, disregard this and continue the process. If it hangs upon one step (mostly #5 or 6) try another exploit (upper right corner)

Last edited by troll05; 11-08-2011 at 04:24 AM.