Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
CookieMomster4
CookieMomster4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
complete shutdown of computer

I have been wondering for several months what causes my computer to shut down abruptly and completely, turning itself off. I just found out, though I have no idea why. I hadn't run calibre for a few months, in fact, since summer (wasn't using my Kindle as much) and then began again last week to use it. I started calibre, and as soon as it started doing it's "jobs" the computer shut off completely. I thought that was odd, since I hadn't had it happen since summer. Did it again--shut down. Waited a week, then started calibre again--boom! Has anyone experienced this at all? I have a Samsung R480, and only calibre does this to it! I can't imagine what I might be doing wrong--it didn't do this the first few times I used it. I can't find anything different in the configuration of programs I have installed. Any ideas??

Kathy Weatherford
CookieMomster4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMomster4 View Post
I started calibre, and as soon as it started doing it's "jobs" the computer shut off completely. I thought that was odd, since I hadn't had it happen since summer. Did it again--shut down.
Unfortunately you have a problem on your computer and calibre seems to trigger your existing problem. The way I see it you can either not run calibre and continue running your computer as normal or you can try to correct the underlying problem on your computer. The second option might not be easy. You can start by ensuring all of your Operating System updates are current.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMomster4 View Post
I have been wondering for several months what causes my computer to shut down abruptly and completely, turning itself off. I just found out, though I have no idea why. I hadn't run calibre for a few months, in fact, since summer (wasn't using my Kindle as much) and then began again last week to use it. I started calibre, and as soon as it started doing it's "jobs" the computer shut off completely. I thought that was odd, since I hadn't had it happen since summer. Did it again--shut down. Waited a week, then started calibre again--boom! Has anyone experienced this at all? I have a Samsung R480, and only calibre does this to it! I can't imagine what I might be doing wrong--it didn't do this the first few times I used it. I can't find anything different in the configuration of programs I have installed. Any ideas??

Kathy Weatherford
You might have a hardware problem, like a bad fan, weak memory or a failing Hard drive.
Calibre will make things work hard during a conversion.
The bang and it powers off could be a PSU or CPU Fan (or the fins are hidden under lint).

Open the event viewer and look at the red marked System items. see if anything obvious.

(Do NOT defrag a failing drive) Clone that puppy (software comes in most retail replacement/upgrade, drive kits.) now and install the new drive.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You might have a hardware problem, like a bad fan, weak memory or a failing Hard drive.
Calibre will make things work hard during a conversion.
The bang and it powers off could be a PSU or CPU Fan (or the fins are hidden under lint).
Excellent point, the cpu is probably getting too hot and shutting down. I think it might be time to buy a can of air, open up the case and blow out all of the dust, starting with the dust in the fan and fins on top of the CPU. While it is open the OP should turn it on and ensure that all of the fans are moving free.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember; it's a laptop he has (or an ultra laptop) so a lot harder often to get inside.

See if it has any tools for monitoring temperature, or look at programs like SpeedFan, RealTemp or SIW to monitor the temperature.

You could if needs be get a laptop cooling stand.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can also go to Preferences->misc in calibre and tell it to run no more than one job at a time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember; it's a laptop he has (or an ultra laptop) so a lot harder often to get inside.

See if it has any tools for monitoring temperature, or look at programs like SpeedFan, RealTemp or SIW to monitor the temperature.

You could if needs be get a laptop cooling stand.
Yes, Getting insid a LT can be fun

A Laptop has a battery, so we can rule out the PSU fan (LT Bricks don't have 'em) and the battery will run it if the plug is yanked from the wall.

Does this happen with the wall cord attached?
Does the LT run normally on battery? (weak battery clue)

If it is not Heat:
Run Memtest 86+, it could be sick RAM.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #8
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
When the fan went out on my laptop, it would shut down with a CPU Fan Failure message (Lenovo T400).

But when you run something very CPU intensive, the fan should run and you can feel it.

You can also try one of the CPU exercising programs to see if it causes the same issue.

Last edited by Pinecone; 10-18-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
But when you run something very CPU intensive, the fan should run and you can feel it.

You can also try one of the CPU exercising programs to see if it causes the same issue.
I'd suggest Prime95 (Google it ). It will work the CPU hard. If CPU overheat is the problem, that should trigger it.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
THANKS, I could NOT remember the program that was always recommended to stress a CPU.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
THANKS, I could NOT remember the program that was always recommended to stress a CPU.
You mean calibre is not on that list?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
TFeldt
Connoisseur
TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Asus Transformer, Galaxy S
I'm just guessing like everybody else here but there's a good chance that it isn't actually a heat problem but that stressing the cpu (and thus possibly activating other power consuming features, like leaving eco mode and entering high performance mode) simply requires too many watts. I've had quite a few laptops with too weak psus for what the rest of the hardware required during peak workloads. They also tend to degrade over time.

Definitely recommend checking the temperature and fully updating the software like previously noted. But if it is the psu then there's no proper way to fix it except replacing it, fortunately it's an external part on most laptops.
TFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
CookieMomster4
CookieMomster4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Wow...you all are really helpful! I will try several of those things, including blowing out the fan with the air can. As for it being a laptop, if it were a Dell, I'm pretty sure I could get in to it (having repaired my daughter's and my old one several times with the excellent directions in the service manuals), but I don't know about this one. (I first learned about the dell service manuals when my autistic son learned he could pop the keys off the keyboard like so many little Scrabble tiles...) Anyway, thank you all for the many possible answers and solutions you have offered! Much appreciated!!
CookieMomster4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Heat problems on a laptop often go away if it is ventilated. I have had no luck with cooling mats, but placing the laptop on a plastic pop crate has always eliminated the problem. Worked for 3 different laptops.

second picture in this link
http://www.mylittlefarmintown.com/20...d-brown-paper/
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Heat problems on a laptop often go away if it is ventilated. I have had no luck with cooling mats, but placing the laptop on a plastic pop crate has always eliminated the problem. Worked for 3 different laptops.

second picture in this link
http://www.mylittlefarmintown.com/20...d-brown-paper/
Metal Cake cooling rack works very well (Remove cake: Frosting is hell on fans ) as the metal wicks some of the heat as well as letting air enter with ease.