Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
jhay777
jhay777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Memory leak?

I have been using the amazing Calibre software for many months with my Kindle 3, and love it so much I have donated to support the author and development of such a great piece of software. However, I think I have recently discovered an apparent problem with its memory use. If I leave Calibre running in the system tray of my computer for several days at a time (my PC stays on all the time), then memory usage climbs from low double digits up to 300Mb or more. Once it was over 600Mb after 2 weeks of use before I had to close Calibre and restart it.

I am running Windows XP (32-bit) Service Pack 3 with 4 Gb of memory. I only have a small library of a dozen or so books and rarely physically connect my Kindle. I get the Financial Times (UK) and The Age (AU) news downloaded an emailed to the device every morning, and the Economist every Friday, and I only keep the current copy of each in Calibre.

Is this normal/desired Calibre behaviour, or is there something I am doing/not doing that may be causing this progressive increase in memory use?
jhay777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not normal, and I cannot reproduce it. But there have been a couple of reports of this on windows. Unfortunately, without being able to reproduce it, I cannot fix it.

Try keeping it minimized in the task bar instead of using the system tray icon and see if that makes a a difference.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@kovid: IIRC one difference between this report and the last one is news fetching w/email. The last reporter said that calibre did nothing but used memory. At least this time it is doing something.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I doubt sending books by email could cause several hundred MB worth of mem leaks. But it should be easy to test.

jhay777: Turn off news download temporaily (just unschedule your news feeds) and leave calibre overnight, see if the memory usage increases.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
Iborg
Iborg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Hi There

It is possible that this is an operating system issue.

At work, we have two different programs for running scientific hardware. When full screen, both start slowly using more and more memory.

In these cases, minimising then maximising usually frees up the memory.

Good luck.
Iborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
jhay777

OK, will try turning off system tray and news feeds alternately and let you know.

As far as a specific PC thing, I have used Calibre installed on 2 home and 1 work Windows PCs and they all exhibit similar behaviour.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
jhay777

Ok, I disabled system tray (but not news download) and this is what I have noticed in Windows Task Manager:
When I start Calibre the memory usage jumps around a lot, but generally uses around 32Mb. Then I minimise the app and memory use drops to around 7Mb. After the memory usage stabilises a bit, I noticed that its slowly going up in 4K chunks, i.e. 8,388K then 8,392K then 8,396K, etc.
I'm assuming if I leave this overnight it will keep going, and will check tomorrow.
If I maximise Calibre and minimise it again memory usage seems to reset back.

Can anyone else reproduce this?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:20 AM   #8
jhay777

I disabled news download and left it running in the task bar (i.e. not system tray) over the weekend and ended up with 168MB memory use, so there is definitely a problem.
Not sure what to do next?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay777 View Post
I disabled news download and left it running in the task bar (i.e. not system tray) over the weekend and ended up with 168MB memory use, so there is definitely a problem.
Not sure what to do next?
is that a problem - or is that normal. I have calibre running in tray always. and Pc rarely shuts down, just hibernates, so out of curiosity I launched task manager ( win 7 64 bit) - I see 162k memory use for calibre.exe

i force exit & relaunch calibre - now it is using 100k

PS I never ever use the news function.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

168MB memory usage sounds pretty normal to me.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i think the concern is the slow upward drift. when I last posted I was seeing 106K, I now see 118k so its gone up 12k in the last 2 hours for no obvious reason,
& every time I open from tray & close it back to tray it picks up a few more Ks.
now I'll have it do some work -I run "check the library" - memory usage goes up to 127k & stays at that level after task complete when put back into system tray. so it's never releasing un-needed memory ???

its not like I'm about to run out ( I have 6Gb onboard) but it seems that OP has a point. and this could be an issue for folks with only 1Gb or those still running XP in 512k

Last edited by cybmole; 10-03-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
its not like I'm about to run out ( I have 6Gb onboard) but it seems that OP has a point. and this could be an issue for folks with only 1Gb or those still running XP in 512k
512k??? Let's hope not.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre is written in a memory managed language, which means that changes of a few MB up and down will keep happening from time to time. A memory leak would be a repeatable increase in memory usage that happens consistently and stacks up over time.

That's what the OP was reporting, but I cannot reproduce.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

well I'm reproducing it OK here. I just took another look at task manager, after ignoring calibre for a few hours. its now at 134Mb.

so my install has increased its memory usage by 30% since this morning !, it is way out in front of Google Chrome, Outlook , all my other running processes!

what happens when you run task manager & toggle calibre to/from being closed in task bar. do you not see an increment every time you open / close it ?

Last edited by cybmole; 10-03-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, I do not.

Tags
memory leak