Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
ePub Help

I was checking for ePub validation. The books reads fine. But got this error when tried validation. Anyone knows what this means. I will appreciate. This is to publish with smashwords. Thanks.

<<ERROR: the-power-of-breathing.epub: The file tmp_b3c75fed30cbb7c367ea4b2007cf78c5_HKsKAy_html_m 5b32798a.png does not appear to be of type image/png >>
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
A .png is an image or picture. The validation software believes the image listed as a .png file is not, in fact, a .png file. Possibly it is a version conflict (image is a newer file format that the validation software can deal with), or possibly it is not, in fact, a .png file.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Is there supposed to be a space in the file name?

tmp_b3c75fed30cbb7c367ea4b2007cf78c5_HKsKAy_html_m 5b32798a.png

That would be a problem for many code applications.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
This might have been a Word document before it was converted to what might be an ePub wrapper on top of a garbage dump.

If this is a book that the OP is creating, I suggest the OP go into the underlying filenames/code and really fix the mess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad mini, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
A .png is an image or picture. The validation software believes the image listed as a .png file is not, in fact, a .png file. Possibly it is a version conflict (image is a newer file format that the validation software can deal with), or possibly it is not, in fact, a .png file.
I can confirm that ePubCheck has no problem in dealing the png images. I think you're correct in advising that it's possibly not a png file.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I can confirm that ePubCheck has no problem in dealing the png images. I think you're correct in advising that it's possibly not a png file.
Hi Taustin and AlexBell. I do appreciate your response. So how do we go about it? I may share the entire situation further with smashwords.

Nine of my 12 guides pass the epub test. One of them I fixed yesterday only. Below are the error messages that I get with other 3 guides. Any idea what do these mean!

I will continue to work on these. Most of these errors perhaps are link and image related. The major work is to locate them.

I will appreciate any clue on how to find these errors or to know what these mean.

1. <<ERROR: the-power-of-breathing.epub: The file tmp_56e5d5dbe37ad7496a77581a2e5789e3_VW6W9h_html_m 5b32798a.png does not appear to be of type image/png>>

2. <<ERROR: art-of-stress-free-living-eastern-and-western-approach.epub/tmp_90dd12c32a5b750b5645fd483b9830eb_aTzujH.ch.fix ed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed_split_011.html(38) : attribute "width" not allowed here; expected attribute "abbr", "align", "axis", "char", "charoff", "class", "colspan", "dir", "headers", "id", "rowspan", "scope", "style", "title", "valign" or "xml:lang" >>

3. << ERROR: HHL-epub.epub/tmp_6c6543aa0c591fd11631fa8ca3bcaedb_G67JJi.ch.fix ed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed_split_014.html(207 ): attribute "height" not allowed here; expected attribute "abbr", "align", "axis", "char", "charoff", "class", "colspan", "dir", "headers", "id", "rowspan", "scope", "style", "title", "valign" or "xml:lang"

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
DrDln
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This might have been a Word document before it was converted to what might be an ePub wrapper on top of a garbage dump.

If this is a book that the OP is creating, I suggest the OP go into the underlying filenames/code and really fix the mess.
Yes, this is a word document that is converted to epub format (by using what smashwords call meatgrinder).

What is OP that create the ePub file? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
DrDln
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Thanks for your response. Most of the images or pictures I use are jpeg (or rarely gif) format. There appears to be one image that is causing the problem and I don't know how to identify in my word document that I use to convert.

I do appreciate all your help.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:37 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad mini, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDln View Post

So how do we go about it? I may share the entire situation further with smashwords.
I think this is your best hope. We can tell you what the error messages mean, and if you were doing the conversion by hand could suggest alternate markup. But only Smashwords understands the mysteries of the meatgrinder.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
SandyHarper
Banned
SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'SandyHarper understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

I am getting the following message during ePub validation with one of my guides. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I use msWord file to upload on smashwords. Thanks.

<<ERROR: entrepreneurs-guide-to-direct-mail-order.epub/tmp_168b13fbbdd602b440d2f02d1f5f87fb_RTNeh4.ch.fix ed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed_split_011.html(94) : text not allowed here; expected the element end-tag or element "address", "blockquote", "del", "div", "dl", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "hr", "ins", "noscript", "ns:svg", "ol", "p", "pre", "script", "table" or "ul" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")>>

Last edited by SandyHarper; 09-18-2011 at 12:57 PM.
SandyHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDln View Post
Yes, this is a word document that is converted to epub format (by using what smashwords call meatgrinder).

What is OP that create the ePub file? Thanks for your help.
OP = original poster. The person that started the thread.

Since this is a meatground mess, it's not something you can fix by hand. You just have to follow the guide and pray.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
LaoTseu
LaoTseu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindke
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyHarper View Post
I am getting the following message during ePub validation with one of my guides. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I use msWord file to upload on smashwords. Thanks.

<<ERROR: entrepreneurs-guide-to-direct-mail-order.epub/tmp_168b13fbbdd602b440d2f02d1f5f87fb_RTNeh4.ch.fix ed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed_split_011.html(94) : text not allowed here; expected the element end-tag or element "address", "blockquote", "del", "div", "dl", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "hr", "ins", "noscript", "ns:svg", "ol", "p", "pre", "script", "table" or "ul" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")>>
Can you quote the offending text? I looked at your SmashWords and it asked me to pay to download the book. I'm guessing you have test in the <body> without <p> or something similar but I would have to see to tell you more.
LaoTseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
DrDln
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I think this is your best hope. We can tell you what the error messages mean, and if you were doing the conversion by hand could suggest alternate markup. But only Smashwords understands the mysteries of the meatgrinder.
Thanks for the response. The funny thing is I have uploaded each picture/image as jpeg file again. But it still shows the same error message:

<<ERROR: the-power-of-breathing.epub: The file tmp_515c9b2d4bfeaa90944df09430a16bdb_DY4fiR_html_m 5b32798a.png does not appear to be of type image/png >>

The other 9 books formatted the same way have passed ePubl test. That is the frustrating part. There have to something missing and don't know what??

If anyone can help where to locate that file tmp....in error message is what I need to nail down the error. Otherwise it is just shooting in the dark with the hope to hit at the mark. Thanks everyone for all your hints.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
If anyone can help where to locate that file tmp....in error message is what I need to nail down the error. Otherwise it is just shooting in the dark with the hope to hit at the mark. Thanks everyone for all your hints.
That tmp file is an intermediate file created by the meatgrinder in it's conversion process. You don't have access to it. It only exists on Smashwords' servers and is probably gone by the time you see the error. That's why the error messages are largely meaningless to the uploader. It's telling you where there's a mistake in your xhtml code when you didn't write any xhtml code. Very frustrating for the user (and for those trying to help).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
LaoTseu
LaoTseu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindke
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That tmp file is an intermediate file created by the meatgrinder in it's conversion process. You don't have access to it. It only exists on Smashwords' servers and is probably gone by the time you see the error. That's why the error messages are largely meaningless to the uploader. It's telling you where there's a mistake in your xhtml code when you didn't write any xhtml code. Very frustrating for the user (and for those trying to help).
The ePub validation from ThreePress give very clear and useful messages. Maybe that can help you guys find the error.

Sigil also use pretty much the same validation. I found both those tools invaluable when I'm trying to get ePub right.

Last edited by LaoTseu; 09-20-2011 at 07:12 AM.
LaoTseu is offline   Reply With Quote