Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-11-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
mightymouse2045
Enthusiast
mightymouse2045 began at the beginning.

Device: xoom
Try icon menu partly hidden in gnome shell (Fedora 15)

Hi Kovid,

Just wanting to let you know that when Calibre tray icon is enabled (obviously), the context menu that's opened by right clicking on it is partially hidden behind the gnome shell's notification area bar...

For Fedora 15 and Gnome Shell 3.0 users (not sure if this affects other distros), the notification area is down the bottom right and is hidden until you move your mouse down there or a message pops up associated with one of the apps that makes use of it.

It a semi transparent bar about 1cm in height that pops up, and part of the context menu in calibre gets hidden by that, which happens to be the Quit option. I can move my mouse carefully and just reach the top of the Quit item and therefore close it, or sometimes even though it is hidden I can still select it through the bar (it's not the same behaviour for all scenarios).

I have noticed this with a number of apps - however I noticed Deluge and Quake terminal are working correctly and their context menus pop up on top of the notification bar, so thought I would mention this in passing

Cheers

Example Calibre's Context Menu

Example Quake Terminal Context Menu
mightymouse2045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not much I can do about that, it happens somewhere between Qt and the window manager gnome shell uses.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
mightymouse2045
Enthusiast
mightymouse2045 began at the beginning.

Device: xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Not much I can do about that, it happens somewhere between Qt and the window manager gnome shell uses.
Ah ok - It's just odd that some apps work and others don't. I thought it might have been specific to the applications.

So you mean those apps written in Qt aren't working together with the gnome shell's window manager, and the apps that are working as expected are written in another language?
mightymouse2045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, I just mean that calibre itself contains no code to determine the position of the popup menu. In some desktop environments that is done by the graphics toolkit (Qt) and in some environments (notably X server based ones) by the window manager.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-11-2011 at 12:44 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote