Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Drumm
Enthusiast
Drumm began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color(CM10), NookTouch & Meadiacom 850i
Ideas

I would like to see several things, most importantly an android reader/library that Caliber can work with seemlessly, manage large libraries much better, allow for custom categories (Calibre and Android App), handle and track multiple users/devices, allow seemless automatic update of metadata(reader problem mostly) and better performance from the readers.

Either writing a new reader or working with a developer to allow Caliber to work better, and deal with the libraries better would solve most of the problems I have and have seen. There are a few good readers but they really suck at allowing you to find what you want quickly and easily. It's generally sort by title or author, although the stock Nook Color reader allowed you to put books in custom categories, although there was no way to mark when you are done reading it, or User 1 has read it but not user 2 or 3, and maybe a popup to rate the book when you get to the last page, or a rate it button. Rating and who has read it needs to go back to Calibre. Maybe a reccomend to another user button.

A local WiFi connect rather than USB would be cool.

One of my biggest complaints with the two readers (Alkido & Moon)that work on my device (Nook color) is you have to import everything and they make a copy to their own directories. This is really wasteful and totally unnecessary. At most you need a table listing the location, and an update button. There should only be a couple of locations where the books are stored, for example the Nook by default has B&N locations and My Files location, why do you need to create a third, with a propriatary file format?

I know there is a lot here and a bit rambeling, but it is very frustrating that there in no really good reader. Both Alkido and Moon have a premium version with no features worth anything, based on the descriptions. I certainly wouldn't pay anything for them because they both really suck! I would pay $20 easily for a really good reader/library app that integrated with Calibre.

Okay, done ranting....
Drumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Moved from Plugin ideas thread.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumm View Post
I would like to see several things, most importantly an android reader/library that Caliber can work with seemlessly, manage large libraries much better, allow for custom categories (Calibre and Android App), handle and track multiple users/devices, allow seemless automatic update of metadata(reader problem mostly) and better performance from the readers.
Seamless integration depends largely on how accessible the devices' metadata files are. There is automatic management for the Sony devices, and there have been efforts to get integration into Aldiko, although that stalled due to zero interest on Aldiko's side.
You'd need to elaborate a little on how you want large library management to be improved- I've heard people using libraries of 20.000+ books with no problems, so what exactly isn't working well for you?

Quote:
Either writing a new reader or working with a developer to allow Caliber to work better, and deal with the libraries better would solve most of the problems I have and have seen.
See the above comment on Aldiko.

Quote:
There are a few good readers but they really suck at allowing you to find what you want quickly and easily.[...]
These features are all about the reading software you use, not Calibre.

Quote:
A local WiFi connect rather than USB would be cool.
Do you know about the content server?

Quote:
One of my biggest complaints with the two readers (Alkido & Moon)that work on my device (Nook color) is [...]
Again, this is about the reading software you use, not Calibre.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
Drumm
Enthusiast
Drumm began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color(CM10), NookTouch & Meadiacom 850i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Seamless integration depends largely on how accessible the devices' metadata files are. There is automatic management for the Sony devices, and there have been efforts to get integration into Aldiko, although that stalled due to zero interest on Aldiko's side.
You'd need to elaborate a little on how you want large library management to be improved- I've heard people using libraries of 20.000+ books with no problems, so what exactly isn't working well for you?.
Actually, after playing with the software for a few hours last night I did figure out how to use it better, unfortunately I did not find the directions from the links on the market of "help" from the software. I had to search from my compluter. Perhaps I lost those files sith the install somewhere, since I am having duplication problems and have to reinstall it, maybe they will show up.

Perhaps they should try to work with "Cool Reader" which is a Sourceforge project. Maybe they will be little more responsive. Of course, that doesn't help me since it is not compatible with Nook color, according to the market.
Drumm is offline   Reply With Quote