Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
Kobonewbee
Kobonewbee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My Kobo won't mount!

When I plug my Kobo into my computer using the provided usb cable my computer knows it is there but fails to mount it so that I can manage books. I am a linux UBUNTU user, and don't know what to do. I don't have wireless at my house yet, so I need this connection to register and install any books I buy. Any help would be great, use small words please as I am not very tech savvy! Thanks!
Kobonewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
...uhh. A Linux user might be able to answer this better (o.O you're not very tech savvy, but you're using Linux? Really?), but you may end up just needing to run a windows emulation if you don't want to do some crazy command line stuff.

Not being a Linux user, however, I could be wrong.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
If it's not mounting as a removable mass storage device (if you have a thumbdrive, check to see that that works), you might need to manually set up the entry in /dev and then an /etc/fstab entry. Alas, it's been years since I've last run a Linux and even when I was decent at it, I never was able to successfully set up devices that required /dev-diving, so hopefully someone else'll come along).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
If it's not mounting, something is wrong. (duh).. So here's how to check what's happening behind the scenes.

Unplug the Kobo

From a Terminal Window:

sudo dmesg -c

(You can read what's there, but it might be hard to figure out what's relevant)

Connect the Kobo to PC. If the Kobo is registered and therefore pops up the "Connect or Cancel" screen, press "Connect."

Wait about 10 seconds.

In terminal window, type: dmesg

Copy and paste the output of the command here or on Ubuntu support list/forum for further advice.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
The first thing to check is if _other_ USB storage devices are okay -- that is, if Ubuntu automatically mounts them after you plug them in. If not, then the issue is generic for all USB storage. If it does mount those, but not your Kobo, that's a different issue. Report back here when done with this test.

Oh, and: You should probably change the title of your thread/post so that it has the word Linux in it. (Maybe a moderator could do that for us?)
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Kobonewbee
Kobonewbee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
The only thing it would mount externally was an aircard I have had troubles mounting external dvd writers and stuff, never figured them out though.
Kobonewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:12 AM   #7
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
Well, it sounds like you've established that it's a general problem with your computer, not something specific to your Kobo device.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
ginger_rocket
ginger_rocket began at the beginning.

Device: WANTED: PocketBook HD 3
In case anybody comes across this thread:

I'm on Ubuntu 19.04 and found that plugging my AURA ONE into one USB port didn't work where another USB port did work.
* Try all your USB ports! *

Other things it could be:
* Wrong cable (blows my mind that this matters.) You must use the cable that came with the KOBO. There are replacements on Amazon. YMMV.
ginger_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
And, for the people with intermittent USB issues on Linux (saying something like io error and bad cable or emi in dmesg), where the USB port doesn't work after for any device, I just found that going to sleep and waking up fixes it until it happens again.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger_rocket View Post
In case anybody comes across this thread:

I'm on Ubuntu 19.04 and found that plugging my AURA ONE into one USB port didn't work where another USB port did work.
* Try all your USB ports! *

Other things it could be:
* Wrong cable (blows my mind that this matters.) You must use the cable that came with the KOBO. There are replacements on Amazon. YMMV.
Trust me when I say you do not need to use the cable that came with your Kobo. I don't even know where the Kobo micro USB cable is. It's someplace, but not worth trying to find. I've used many other micro USB cables and all worked no problem. One difference is I've been using my Kobo with Windows since November 30, 2014.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
And, for the people with intermittent USB issues on Linux (saying something like io error and bad cable or emi in dmesg), where the USB port doesn't work after for any device, I just found that going to sleep and waking up fixes it until it happens again.
Would you say it's a Linux issue?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:56 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The only USB issues I ever had with early i.MX50x Kindles vanished after a motherboard swap, FWIW.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:15 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Sleep for the device or the computer?

Or you?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:53 PM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Ironically this thread jumped up as I started having issues with my Forma moutning, sadly it's got issues mounting with different cables, in different ports, on different computers so I suspect the USB port on the Forma is starting to go. Which would be the first time I've had the port fail on any ereader, Kobo or otherwise.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:07 AM   #15
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sleep for the device or the computer?

Or you?
For the computer, which the Kobo makes think its ports are broken for some reason.

But, I wouldn't say no to some sleep either .
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote