Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
SnakeByte
SnakeByte began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How to merge different format of a book already in Calibre?

After discovering that the convert to PDF option in Calibre creates pdf files fully rasterized into 300+ megs of non-text selectable monsters , I decided to find try a different way to convert to PDF. After viewing the epub or mobi in Calibre's internal viewer and choosing to print to "Acrobat PDF" I get 10 meg files with selectable text. The problem I'm running into now is how to merge those files back into Calibre. I could just replace the larger meg files with the ones I've created, but for future books where I haven't used Calibre's convert to PDF option, I was looking for a better solution.

Right now what I've ended up doing is creating a new folder, moving all the book formats out of where calibre has them stored them, add my pdf file, delete the book from calibre and then re-import everything. Is there a quicker drag-n-drop solution I'm missing?

This program is amazing and it just gets better every day. I don't know what I'd do without it!
SnakeByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeByte View Post
Right now what I've ended up doing is creating a new folder, moving all the book formats out of where calibre has them stored them, add my pdf file, delete the book from calibre and then re-import everything. Is there a quicker drag-n-drop solution I'm missing?
One way to do this is to select the desired book to which you wish to add the new PDF format, open the edit metadata window and drag the PDF to the formats area, see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	formats_area.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	75713  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The internal viewers print to PDF removes almost all formatting. This is by design to produce a simple ink saving output. Converting to PDF retains all formatting.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Isn't the conversion to PDF on a OSX system problematic? I mean in regards to his giant image based output.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Isn't the conversion to PDF on a OSX system problematic? I mean in regards to his giant image based output.
Indeed.
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
SnakeByte

Is there a better alternative to convert epub and mobi files to pdf where it retains all the extras AND retains text selection? It looks like what I need to do is have Calibre do the conversion and then pass that through an OCR but that pains me to do when I know I've got the original text just waiting to be used (Not to mention the file size issues of having a pdf with a bunch of images).

I'll try to do a pdf conversion on my pc and see if that gives me different results. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
user_none

It sounds like you're in a Mac. Install Linux in a Virtual Box VM. Install calibre in Linux and convert to PDF that way. The image based PDF conversation output is only an issue in OS X. I recommend Linux and Virtual Box because it's all free.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
SnakeByte

Yep, you are right! I tried the same thing on my windows computer and all is well. Good to know!