Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
kitschy
kitschy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need something to read lots of PDF's

Hello forum, I'm looking for a small, portable, durable device for reading pdf's on extended outdoor trips. I am currently liking the kobo touch and the sony pocket reader but I'm not really sure if this is the right type of device for what I want. My biggest task will be reading pdf's on it. The pdf's are color, but if the device displays them in black and white that's okay. Right now I'm primarily trying to find out if there are any ereaders at all that excel at pdf's (zooming in, panning, and loading quickly). If other types of devices like netbooks or small tablets do this job better, I'm all ears. I plan to carry a small solar charger to supplement the battery life. It would be a nice bonus for me if I could play mp3 files as well.

My secondary concerns are:

Durability. Whatever I get I plan to use a good sleeve or case but the more durably the device is designed, the better.

Memory expansion. It's great that the kobo has this, my one question is can you quickly swap out multiple sd's or is it made to only hold one? And is there any ereader that can directly connect to an external hard drive and transfer books to its internal memory?

Also I run ubuntu... would I face problems in trying to transfer books from here to there?

Thank you so much for any advice.
kitschy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
I am not sure of the other devices but I have a Kindke 3

It does display PDF files well though I typically rotate
them for easier viewing (it makes them larger).

I also run Linux and it works well with Linux, since you pretty much
just copy the pfd files to the document directory on the kindle then
add them to the desired collection (group).

It also will play MP3's but not so good as a music player as there
really is not a good interface for it, but if you are using it for audio
books then it does that well (I use it with audio books).
(for me I found an iPod is much better for music)

As far as memory you are limited to 3gb and there is no easy way
to expand that (if at all) for me that may be a negative for you
depending on the size and number of pdf files you have.

Now all that being said you my want to look at the Kindle DX
since it does have a larger screen and pdf files are typically
formatted for an 8.5 x 11 inch page.

As far as solar charging, I would look into one of the portable solar
camping chargers should work and you may also be able to use it to
charge your other devices (phone, gps, etc).

As for cases there are many to choose from depending on the level
of protection you want or need, if you will be camping you may want
to look into something waterproof.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Hi Kitschy and welcome to Mobileread!

If you're lookign for information on different types of ereaders, the best place to go is our "Which one should I buy" forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Hope this helps
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Consider the Barnes & Noble Nook Color.

With its installed PDF reader, plus the free-to-download EZ-PDF Reader, the NC is excellent at reading any kind of PDF file. It has an excellent screen, with finger-zoom, and switches from portrait to landscape just by turning the device. It also has a slot for a micro-SD card for expandability. And it runs on Android, so you can get other apps for it (although only through the B&N store for now, many of them are free).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
I love my Kindle 3, but wouldn't recommend one for viewing PDFs - the screen is too small. The DX has a bigger screen, but the PDF support is not as good in that model, and there is no telling if the software will be upgraded to the same level as the Kindle 3.

A device with an LCD screen (for faster display) that has larger than a 6" screen is probably your best bet, if you can afford it. I don't have such a device myself, but I have seen coworkers use PDFs on ipads, and it looks great.
kdgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Consider the Barnes & Noble Nook Color.

With its installed PDF reader, plus the free-to-download EZ-PDF Reader, the NC is excellent at reading any kind of PDF file. It has an excellent screen, with finger-zoom, and switches from portrait to landscape just by turning the device. It also has a slot for a micro-SD card for expandability. And it runs on Android, so you can get other apps for it (although only through the B&N store for now, many of them are free).
+1. I'm using it with CM7 on SD card and just the official Adobe Reader app. It appears to work pretty well. Haven't had time to play with other apps yet to see which one is best for PDF.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
kitschy
kitschy began at the beginning.

Hmm well one says e-ink can read pdf's okay and 3 say no. I have like hundreds of page-sized pdf's... and I plan on reading many of them so I'm probably hoping too much for it (Also can't be assed to convert them all). I don't know about the nook color, I primarily like ereaders for being good in sunlight, easy on the eyes and low on the battery. If I'm getting something with an lcd screen I might as well consider the whole range of netbooks and tablets while I'm at it.

Thank you for the welcome pookey sorry I didn't see that forum... next time I guess.

My best bet is probably a 10 inch netbook, assuming it's not too heavy, because I hate the idea of paying more for a tablet with technology I don't need just because it's smaller.

Thanks for the answers everybody.

Last edited by kitschy; 08-17-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: thanks
kitschy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 AM   #8
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
I'd also suggest something with at least a 10" display.

Most eReaders seem to have 6" or 7" displays and those aren't good for PDF just because of size. I mean, you can do it occasionally, but if it's your main use case...maybe you should pick a netbook or at least a Kindle DX.
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
I have a Kobo touch and while you certainly can read pdfs on it and the microsd card gives you lost of space I find it a pain to have enlarge and move around documents to get an easily readable size.

If it is primarily pdf's you want to use I think a cheap tablet might be the best thing. I have a 7" Archos (internet tablet which runs Android 2.2) and the screen is okay for reading paperback size pdf's and small magazines (i.e. Reader's Digest looks fine but time magazine is too small unless it is enlarged) but if you have larger sized documents I would suggest trying for a 10" screen. I think pretty much every supplier is getting ready to send new units (Android 3.0 or Ipad 2) so the older versions which can run pdf software just fine can be bought cheaply. Worth a thought.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
Sigyn
Junior Junior Member
Sigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beauty

ah, but do you need or want to take notes on the pdf's? Or just read them?

Do you like eink or something more like a tablet?

Do you want the mp3s to be able to play in the background while you are reading?
Sigyn is offline   Reply With Quote