Notices

Old 08-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
mightymouse2045
Enthusiast
mightymouse2045 began at the beginning.

Device: xoom
Question Calibre on Linux taking 2 minutes to start

Hi,

I have started noticing calibre is taking about 2 minutes or more to start. I noticed this at the same time as I did two things. 1. I changed the sort by format and closed calibre. 2. I upgraded to the latest version (now 2 versions ago).

I've tried to reset it to the default sort and I have since upgraded twice since then. But it still takes the same amount of time to start.

I have about 14,000 books in my library, but as recently as up to last week starting calibre with the 14,000 volume library as the default, it would only take 20 seconds or so to start....

I also noticed BEFORE this problem started ie when calibre was opening within 20 seconds, that the 1st search would take about 2 minutes to complete, and then all subsequent searches are done within 5 seconds.

Now since calibre is taking 2 minutes to open each time, the 1st and subsequent searches are within 5 seconds....

So it seems that there was some bug previously that was causing delays in the 1st search (indexing or something?), which has been resolved, but the problem is now affecting initial start up?

Can anyone suggest some ways I can pinpoint the problem so we can get this bug sorted? Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me in which case can anyone suggest what might be happening on my system that is causing this?

Thanks heaps in advance
mightymouse2045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Make sure you aren't using a search restriction on startup and try hiding the tag browser. There have been no changes to any calibre code that I can recall that could possibly affect either startup or search time in the last 5 releases.

Startup time on my linux system remains what it always has been. About 10 seconds for a 20k book library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
mightymouse2045
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Make sure you aren't using a search restriction on startup and try hiding the tag browser. There have been no changes to any calibre code that I can recall that could possibly affect either startup or search time in the last 5 releases.

Startup time on my linux system remains what it always has been. About 10 seconds for a 20k book library.
Hi, thanks for the quick response. I have no search restrictions in place. How do I hide the Tag Browser and by that I assume that is the panel on the left hand side with Author, Categories, Tags etc?

So when yours starts up do you get a 2 minute delay on the first search?
Old 08-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
mightymouse2045
Enthusiast

Also I have noticed two calibre processes when I start calibre.

1 process is using 40% utilisation while waiting the 2 minutes for it to start, and builds from using 1gb virtual ram to 1.5gb when it finally starts and 475MB RAM when it finally starts.

The second process is only using 120MB of virtual memory and 220KB of RAM

I don't know if this is normal because I wasn't really looking at the processes until I noticed this problem occurring...
Old 08-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
mightymouse2045
Enthusiast

I tried deleting the ~/.config/calibre folder and that made no difference, it still takes 2 minutes to start, so it's not a rogue plugin or corrupted config causing it.

One thing to note is my library is sitting on an NTFS drive, so I will try copying my library to an ext4 drive and see if that makes any difference.

oh and by the way I am running Fedora 15 with gnome-shell
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your problem will be the NTFS drive. sqlite on NTFS *sucks*.

First (and all subsequent) searches takes only a few seconds for me. You can speed up searching by restricting the fields searched. I have it searching only title/authors/tags on my large libraries. See preferences->search
Old 08-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
mightymouse2045
Enthusiast

Quote:
Your problem will be the NTFS drive. sqlite on NTFS *sucks*.

First (and all subsequent) searches takes only a few seconds for me. You can speed up searching by restricting the fields searched. I have it searching only title/authors/tags on my large libraries. See preferences->search
ok it may have been an update to gnome-shell that broke it then. I am in the process of copying the library to ext4 now and will report back once I've done that.

I'll play around with the search options as well.

Cheers
Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
mightymouse2045
Enthusiast

Yeah that made a huge difference. it's back to about 20 seconds or so now on an ext4 partition.

I'd say it was an upgrade to the ntfs-3g binary on gnome-shell that caused it.

I'll still play around with the search options as well, but i would like to know how you got your start time on a 20k library to 10 seconds... can you let me know what partition are you running it on and what is the linux system you are using?

Cheers
Old 08-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well I use a rather heavily optimized gentoo system. ext4 currently though I plan on trying out btrfs soon.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
mightymouse2045
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well I use a rather heavily optimized gentoo system. ext4 currently though I plan on trying out btrfs soon.
ok - well thanks for helping me sort this one out You have without doubt the best product out there - I am glad it's still a free one

Thanks again