Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Cybermidas
Enthusiast
Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Should I wait for prices to drop further or buy now?

I have already decided to buy Kindle 3 when I start getting this rumors that Kindle 4 is coming soon and prices for K3 will drop further in the range of $99.

The best deal that I was getting right now in India is 7500 INR (~$168) after customs and import duty for the sponsored wi-fi edition ($114).

If it indeed comes down to ~$100, I would expect to get that around >$140-$145 range.

Since under current conversion rates, a USD buck goes a long way, I am confused. Should I wait for prices to drop further or buy now. Also there is a further factor of Kindle 4 coming. Supposedly there is a budget edition.

Also, if I do buy it now, would I be able to exchange it for something less costly(with refund of course)?
Cybermidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If you want it now, get it now. If the money is really that much of an issue, wait. There is no way to know what Amazon is going to charge for the new units, nor have they even announced their existance.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermidas View Post
I have already decided to buy Kindle 3 when I start getting this rumors that Kindle 4 is coming soon and prices for K3 will drop further in the range of $99.

The best deal that I was getting right now in India is 7500 INR (~$168) after customs and import duty for the sponsored wi-fi edition ($114).

If it indeed comes down to ~$100, I would expect to get that around >$140-$145 range.

Since under current conversion rates, a USD buck goes a long way, I am confused. Should I wait for prices to drop further or buy now. Also there is a further factor of Kindle 4 coming. Supposedly there is a budget edition.

Also, if I do buy it now, would I be able to exchange it for something less costly(with refund of course)?
I believe Amazon offer a 30-day return scheme, but it seems unlikely that this would be worth-while, given the postage and import duty.

Will you get (say) $50 of enjoyment or utility out of it in the next (say) three months? If so, buy it. If something better comes out, you can sell your current device and buy the new one.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
The problem is, when the K4 comes out, you will REALLY want one.

It is like computers. You can wait and pay less for what you want today, but you will no longer want it.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I had thought they wouldn't ship the Sponsored version internationally? But maybe I'm wrong? Amazon claims that they only sell it in the U.S. However, if you are having it shipped to someone in the U.S. and then sent to India, maybe you could instead get the refurbished Kindle Wifi, if price is an issue.

I haven't heard any rumors of the exact price of the K4 though. Probably we will find out in September if any of the K4 rumors are true, so if you are thinking seriously of the potential K4, I'd advise waiting a month and seeing what Amazon does.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Well with interest rates at effectively 0% there is nothing gained by keeping the dollars in the bank. So the only thing that you will gain by waiting is to save $14 for the special offers edition. So you need to make up your mind is saving $14 worth waiting to the end of the year? I don't think a savings of $14 is worth it, isn't a little happiness worth $14 to you, that's just a little more than a movie ticket (which is up to $13 in my area). if the difference was $50 or $75 I would say perhaps being patient is worth it, but $14, I don't think so.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #7
Cybermidas
Enthusiast
Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Well with interest rates at effectively 0% there is nothing gained by keeping the dollars in the bank. So the only thing that you will gain by waiting is to save $14 for the special offers edition. So you need to make up your mind is saving $14 worth waiting to the end of the year? I don't think a savings of $14 is worth it, isn't a little happiness worth $14 to you, that's just a little more than a movie ticket (which is up to $13 in my area). if the difference was $50 or $75 I would say perhaps being patient is worth it, but $14, I don't think so.
Wll, in my country $1 goes to around 45INR...and Movie ticket costs around 100INR (~$2.5)

With import and customs it will come up to as $20-25 if kindle really drops to $99.

Quote:
I had thought they wouldn't ship the Sponsored version internationally? But maybe I'm wrong? Amazon claims that they only sell it in the U.S. However, if you are having it shipped to someone in the U.S. and then sent to India, maybe you could instead get the refurbished Kindle Wifi, if price is an issue.

I haven't heard any rumors of the exact price of the K4 though. Probably we will find out in September if any of the K4 rumors are true, so if you are thinking seriously of the potential K4, I'd advise waiting a month and seeing what Amazon does.
No, amazon is not shipping it. A company here doing it (after keeping their cut of course). They buy from amazon and ship it to India. But they wont sell refurbished K3.

By the way, can we actually be sure that we will get to know something in September?

Quote:
The problem is, when the K4 comes out, you will REALLY want one.

It is like computers. You can wait and pay less for what you want today, but you will no longer want it.

Actually I was hoping that when K4 comes out, K3 prices will drop further which will make it more affordable.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:38 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
By the way, can we actually be sure that we will get to know something in September?
No. Rumours are just rumours. Even if actually based on inside info, there's no guarantee that the plans won't change.

Amazon might or might not announce and/or ship a new version of the Kindle sometime this year.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:26 AM   #9
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Re: Whether we will be able to know for sure. No, we won't know for sure. Nothing is sure regarding the rumors until Amazon themselves makes a statement. There might not even be a Kindle 4 this year. They might wait until next year when there is a new e-ink screen.

Huh, I'm not certain whether Amazon will even be selling K3 if/when they roll out K4. IIRC usually they stop selling the previous model when they come out with a new one? But if the rumors about there being both a button kindle and a touchscreen one are true, who knows.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
Cybermidas
Enthusiast

Then I guess I would be ordering it by end-Aug or early Sept, whatever be the scenario remains...
Old 08-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
Cybermidas
Enthusiast

Has anyone uses this

I would like to know its review. Its previous verison Pi got horrible reviews.

By the way, I just wanted to know

Can Kindle open pdfs of around 200mb size. I understand the general issues with pdf and ebook readers, but Pi used to have an issue where any ppdf more than 40MB in size used to crash the software and rebooting was the only solution
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Cybermidas
Enthusiast

Reading is an addiction!!!

Couldn't wait...went ahead and ordered one..

Kindle 3 (wifi only)

reading is a damn addiction...
but i do enjoy it...
Old 08-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Whoops didn't see that you had bought one.

Amazon normally announces a press conference at a Library when revealing a new Kindle. Until I hear of a Press Conference at a Library I would not get my hopes up.

That said, if Amazon is releasing a new model it is going to want to have a new model on the market for the holiday season. A September announcement with a October release sounds right to me.

There have been plenty of articles in reputable journals and papers saying that Amazon is going to be releasing a K4 and Tablets sometime soon.

Personally, I got my K1 and 3 months later they announced the K2. I was fine with my K1 and would have regretted waiting the three months to buy the K2. If you are on a tight budget and it would cause you pain (emotional pain counts) then wait. If you honestly think you will be fine with the extra money then go for it.

Final note: I am putting money on the K4 having a touch screen version. If you are going to regret not having a touch screen then wait.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:

Kindle 3 (wifi only)
I'm sure you'll be very happy with your new Kindle.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Reading is an addiction!!!

Kindle 3 (wifi only)

reading is a damn addiction...
but i do enjoy it...
If you have any questions once you've received it, don't hesitate to ask. Enjoy!
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote