Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
almagary
Wears funny hat (cloth)
almagary began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Touch
Adobe Digital Editions is monitoring Calibre database

OK, let's try this again, with less space-wasting clowning and with some focus on the issue of privacy. I'm starting a new thread as the clowns took over the first one and I have new details.

In the other thread, the.Mtn.Man and charleski made a couple of substantial points but are wrong on the facts and interpretation in this case. TedJ, avantman42, JSWolf, The Terminator, MorganM, beautifulsoup, and ScalyFreak obviously have nothing to contribute and I would challenge the karma points some of you have awarded yourselves.

First, take a look at the thumbnail below. It's a screengrab of a piece of the ADE error-message debris that flew by as ADE crashed when, as always does, it encountered my Kobo WiFi. Here's the text, in case the thumbnail is hard to read:

Adobe Digital Editions

The Story of a Lie - Stevenson_Robert Louis.epub:
IO Error on local file open

Path:
L:\Stevenson_Robert Louis\The Story of a Lie (1267)\The
Story of a Lie - Stevenson_Robert Louis.epub

Event Detail:
Error #2038
---end---

OK

Drive L: is one of my USB ports. Error 2038, discussed elsewhere and at Adobe's ADE forum, is a general-purpose error.

Here are the facts of the matter:

--I downloaded this public-domain Stevenson ebook from the University of Adelaide collection via weblink and imported it directly into Calibre, which numbered it 1267. That is Calibre's number, not mine, not Kobo's.

--I did not import this ebook into ADE. ADE has had no connection with this ebook.

--I have not informed ADE that I have Calibre on my PC as well as the desktop apps for Kindle and Kobo. I have not instructed ADE that I want it to monitor every ebook it can find on my PC. The ADE user has no access to these non-transparent functions.

--I did not sideload that ebook into my Kobo at any point. I did not open it in any ereader or even the Calibre viewer. There can be no bookmark, no annotations, no record of any activity other than its presence in the Calibre database.

So what we have here is an inert ebook that exists in my system only in Calibre.

And is being tracked by Adobe Digital Editions.

Why?

charleski (#5 in the other thread) believes that ADE is syncing annotations. the.Mtn.Man (#2) suggests ADE "probably has to make a catalog of what's already on the reader [Kobo] in order to avoid conflicts when transferring new books."

What syncing? ADE crashed the first time I plugged in my Kobo, and has crashed every single time, whether it is running when Kobo is plugged in or I try to boot it when Kobo is already plugged in, and this is also the case when no other ebook app, including Calibre, is running. There is no working relationship whatsoever between ADE and my Kobo.

But I have to use ADE. It has an exclusive role in getting public library ebooks via Overdrive. ADE has an exclusive role in downloading a good number of ebook purchases. I have no choice to have it on my PC. But I won't use it for elibrary management and can't use it with my Kobo for any function. I use the ever-evolving and useful Calibre to run my elibrary.

I ask this forum: Why is ADE poking around in a desktop and tracking all titles in a Calibre library? Not just on my computer: yours. And yours.

Would it be okay for MS Word on its own to poke around and find all possible text documents or other material that could be opened in Word? No. Would it be okay for Google News to monitor what news items are opened in Yahoo News? No. Would it be okay for Netflix to monitor Hulu activity on your computer? Of course not.

Yet ADE is monitoring my ebooks in the database of another program, Calibre, and it is doing so without user activation, initiation, preference, or permission. There is no opt-in or opt-out choice here. And no possibility of disabling that function.

In terms of user utility, ADE is doing nothing useful in tracking my elibrary. Explicitly, it can exercise some kind of control over the 43 borrowed and purchased books, as for example it removes access to borrowed books after three weeks. Implicitly, no common-sense understanding of what function ADE has on a computer would encompass general roundup and monitoring of one's ereading.

I find nothing in the ADE webpages at Adobe suggesting that it has a natural, obvious, built-in, "everybody knows" function to monitor all the digital books on a computer. Yet in a non-transparent way, it has that design function.

As to privacy, Adobe has no separate privacy policy for Adobe Digital Editions. The general policy at http://www.adobe.com/misc/privacy.html is long and plainly written but no reference to ADE or user ebook data. While the policy offers some broad privacy protection, it also has some broad allowances for Adobe and agents, as for example:

You also acknowledge that in certain countries or with respect to certain activities, the collection, transfer, storage, and processing of your information may be undertaken by trusted third party vendors or agents of Adobe such as credit card processors, shipping agents, web hosting providers, mail and email service providers, communication services, and web analytic providers, to help facilitate Adobe in providing certain functions.

In a letter I am asking Adobe to explain precisely (a) why ADE is monitoring a Calibre database without user knowledge and (b) what the ADE privacy policies are regarding the ADE's collection, transfer, storage, and processing functions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE-Error2038-StevensonEbookInCalibre-2011Aug1.png
Views:	249
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	75137  

Last edited by almagary; 08-03-2011 at 09:40 PM.
almagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Assorted Nooks
Do I understand you correctly that the Kobo is connected when you get this error? If that's the case, then ADE tries to check what's on the device and gets into trouble because of some trace of this file. That trace has probably been left there by Calibre who doesn't always play well with Kobo.
The file path L is your device, not your hard drive, isn't it?
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
jswinden
Gone Fishing
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingies
Quote:
Would it be okay for MS Word on its own to poke around and find all possible text documents or other material that could be opened in Word?
This is precisely what some of the eBook reading apps in Android do. They search for all possible eBooks on the device which they can read and make it easy for you to import them into the app's library. I'm glad they do this as it is a pain in the backside to look for eBooks manually.

As far as ADE, I suspect this is all that is going on. Adobe has neither the resources nor the desire to spy on what books you read and where you have them stored. I hate to say the obvious and piss you off, but you are over reacting and being unnecessarily paranoid. ADE is not out to spy on you!

As far as name calling, that is a bit uncalled for. We often disagree with one another in these forums and that is cool. But please don't take it to a name calling basis simply because you disagree.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
I have reported this thread because it's more of the same paranoid delusional anting and raving. Please, go buy a paperback.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Rather than have people like us speculating, I suggest you contact Kobo directly and ask them if they know what is happening. Try help.kobo.com or getsatisfaction.com/kobo.

Last edited by taming; 08-03-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: removed my own speculation
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Perhaps a more innocuous explanation is that ADE installs itself as the default application to open epub files. You may have inadvertently opened the file at some point, invoking ADE to read it. Or Windows may have called on ADE to do some sort of content indexing when you plugged in the USB drive containing it as drive L: at some point.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
dafrizz
Ultimate Player
dafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Do I understand you correctly that the Kobo is connected when you get this error? If that's the case, then ADE tries to check what's on the device and gets into trouble because of some trace of this file. That trace has probably been left there by Calibre who doesn't always play well with Kobo.
The file path L is your device, not your hard drive, isn't it?
+1

This is what I suspect is happening. You obviously use calibre to manage your kobo and upload content. As you would have noticed calibre is aware of what books you have uploaded to the kobo and which ones only exist in your calibre library.
As asawi said I would suspect that calibre has left some trace of that book you mention on the kobo and ADE has simply picked up on that. The calibre developer might know more.
I don't know where you get the idea that ADE is searching or tracking your hard drive (via calibre), that error message is clearly related to your kobo (L drive), not your hard drive. Crashed or not, it obviously established some connection to your kobo.

EDIT: To test that theory. Add a new book to your calibre library, do not connect your kobo, close calibre, connect kobo, open ADE, search error message for that new book (assuming ADE crashes). Any reference to that new book ?

Last edited by dafrizz; 08-03-2011 at 07:24 PM.
dafrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ok I'll take this seriously.

1. I don't see a thumbnail. Where are you getting this error from?

2. You are jumping to conclusions with unsubstantiated information. If you suspect that ADE is aware of your ePub's located in your Calibre file location there are tools/means of factually verifying this. You can use a tool like Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896645) to see if ADE ever touches your files located in that section of the file system. Obviously you would have all other applications closed but Process Monitor set to log, open ADE and record the interactions. Like others have indicated you may have associated ADE with .epubs, or ADE may do a system scan for any .epub files in much the same manner that applications like iTunes can scan an import any associated files into their library. Again you can go into your control panel > default programs (win7) to see what application is associated with what file type.

3. Your further jump to the conclusion that ADE being aware of your ePub's = Adobe being aware. Again this is unsubstantiated. You could investigate this by using a tool like WireShark (http://www.wireshark.org/) to capture the packets on your network connection to see what interaction ADE may be having with Adobe servers. The payloads may be encrypted, so you might not be able to tell specifics but this should give you some notion, though one would expect ‘some’ interaction for DRM reasons.

4. Contact Adobe and ask what information is transmitted by ADE. Obviously there is going to be some interaction for it to employ its DRM. You and your system would have a unique id, likely an ip address recorded also, and then some key exchanges to allow you to open your ebooks. They are likely also aware of the books 'in' ADE, though I'd be curious if they know specific book names or just some abstract id. I highly doubt they would transmit any information of files on your systems outside this as it would run afoul of laws in certain countries, though it is not uncommon for software to transmit some general system information (os version etc.).

5. The fact that ADE is crashing ("as always does") is already problematic and points to some issues that may or may not be due to ADE itself. I personally practise good computing hygiene and have not had ADE crash on any of the three systems I use. These crashes may be indicative of larger issues, including but not limited to conflicts, corrupt system files, malware, rootkits, faulty or failing hardware etc.

As you can see there are some practical steps you can take before exclaiming what at this point is FUD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_u...inty_and_doubt). I also take privacy seriously so I'm not discounting your concerns, but the positioning of your post jumping to so many conclusions is unhelpful, and alarmist at best.

Last edited by molman; 08-03-2011 at 08:03 PM.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Further. With regards to point 2, this (http://blog.laptopmag.com/epub-prime...now-and-more/2) states that;

"When you first start the program, ADE will scan your computer and add all of the ePUB files it finds. If you load books to your computer later, you can still add them to the library."

..which places some credence on the scanning system to populate its library line of thinking.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
molman
Evangelist

@dafrizz: it didn't look like the mounted Kobo drive to me as L: is rather far down the alphabet unless he/she has a lot of partitions (my Kobo mounts as drive D: ) and the folder structure is different to how they are laid out on my Kobo Touch: eg. Author Name Folder\eBook Name.epub, without the second folder. Maybe it’s different on the earlier Kobo's? But then I just assumed he/she had her Calibre library on a seperate partition/drive.

@almagary: what is your L: dirve? is it the partition/drive where your Calibre library is located, or is it the drive letter allocated to your Kobo when you mount (connect via USB)?

Last edited by molman; 08-03-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Moderator Notice
This is a reminder that MobileRead's Guidelines require politeness and avoidance of personal attacks. This reminder has become necessary as a previous thread has been closed, partially due to same. If you are unable to satisfy those Guidelines, refrain from posting.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Do I understand you correctly that the Kobo is connected when you get this error? If that's the case, then ADE tries to check what's on the device and gets into trouble because of some trace of this file.
Isn't ADE supposed to do this? Just like any other ebook library manager, it detects when you connect a reader, and it looks at what is on it, and then tries to update its database. Isn't this pretty much standard behavior?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
almagary
Wears funny hat (cloth)
almagary began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Touch
The thumbnail didn't get attached to my original post. It's there now.

Yes, when ADE crashed, my Kobo was at drive L, a USB port.

The Stevenson title is, as I said, totally inert and inactive in my Calibre directory. Kobo hasn't had it; ADE hasn't had it.
almagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Error #2038 is not because ADE is watching you.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/314863

That link is about error #2038. It seems to be a flash error.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
molman
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by almagary View Post
The thumbnail didn't get attached to my original post. It's there now.

Yes, when ADE crashed, my Kobo was at drive L, a USB port.

The Stevenson title is, as I said, totally inert and inactive in my Calibre directory. Kobo hasn't had it; ADE hasn't had it.
@almagary: You say the eBook is inert (which I take to mean you have loaded it in to Calibre, but have not used send to drive to send said ebook to your Kobo).

Are you able to go to your L: drive (when Kobo connected via USB) using file/windows explorer and dis/confirm the non/existance of said said folders and or files (the ones in the error)? Don't open ADE or Calibre before doing this.

Also are you able to confim which application .epub files are associated with? If you don't know where to find this, going to a .epub file in you file/windows explorer and double-clicking on it to see which application it opens in would be easiest.

@JSWolf: The error seems to be a generic IO error code for Flash (as in Adobe Flash) which I believe ADE uses to render the eBooks/for the ADE application. My reading of the error in this thread is that ADE was trying to read the eBook "L:\Stevenson_Robert Louis\The Story of a Lie (1267)\The
Story of a Lie - Stevenson_Robert Louis.epub"
on the Kobo (L: drive). This seems to indicate that the Kobo had been connected, mounted as L: drive while ADE was open and then the application had issues with reading said file (maybe Calibre/ADE open same time, bad dismount of drive etc..), as at a guess to index what was on the device for sync reasons (as @ScalyFreak alludes).

@almagary: Was Calibre open (or had it been) whilst ADE was also open?

Last edited by molman; 08-03-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Tags
conspiracy theory, paranoid