Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
eBook Licensing: How many people and how many devices?

Thanks to Pottermore - launching in October, with what we hope will be all seven Harry Potter books in all manner of electronic formats to support the majority of devices available - I will be making my first eBook purchase(s). So far I have been reading only public domain works.

I have a Sony PRS-350, and my girlfirend is contemplating an Android smartphone. If I purchase these books, will we both be entitled to access them? I'd be buying EPUB (for my reader), and AFAIK there is an 'App' to open EPUBs on Android (presumably through Google eBooks).

I'm guessing I will have to allow my GF access to my Google account in order for her to access the files. But is there anything stopping her (legally) grabbing the files (once I've downloaded them to my computer) and using them as she sees fit? (Assuming these are truly DRM-free.)

With a paper book, a whole family often shares one copy (especially with Harry Potter). I'd hope to be able to share my eBooks with those I live with!
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Most publishers allow a reasonable level of sharing. With the Kindle, for example, you can read most books on up to six devices simultaneously, registered to the same account. With ADE books, you can share content again on up to six devices, registered to the same ADE account. We'll have to wait and see what the licensing terms are at Pottermore.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
We won't know for certain until they're selling stuff, but the press releases have promised DRM free files, most certainly in ePub (and probably in mobi, too for the Kindle). The latest press release mentioned compatibility with 80 different readers. I believe the Google Books part is more for reading "in the cloud," but even there, you can download ePubs. Once you have the file, all you have to do is sideload it to your devices. They'd probably like for you to buy a copy for each reader, and some would argue that you should, but nobody but you will ever know if you did or not.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote