Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Preparing old book for EPUB

Having seen the wonderful work some of our MR gang do preparing old books for us to download I thought I would spend some time tidying up a Google scan of Windelband's History of Ancient Philosophy. This was all working OK until I came to the first piece of Ancient Greek. I had to write it out in Unicode (which works) but by the time I had reached about the 15th piece of Greek I was becoming totally sick of the whole thing! The OCR that Google uses turns Greek into a string of gibberish. Has anyone out there tried to scan and convert a non-Roman alphabet with any success? Any tricks and tips to pass on? I am just trying to avoid having to retype every piece of Greek.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Well, it looks like you're going to have to OCR the Greek parts yourself. Most decent OCR packages shouldn't have a problem beyond the fact that they're setup for modern Greek, and so will miss a lot of the diacritical marks. This is what happens in ABBYY Finereader - it recognises the basic Greek letterforms without any problems, but fails to capture the diacritics.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
There's also a special Greek font with all those diacritics at the American Philological Association. They have some programs for Windows and Macs to make it easier to type. too.

I haven't used any of that - I ran across it just a few days ago.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I must admit I hadn't thought of rescanning the book - that is a very good idea and might be a lot tidier than Google's efforts. I don't mind if it misses a few diacritical marks, but at least gives the sense of the quotation.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote