Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
momtodogs
Lovin' the e-life!!!
momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini
[Old Thread] skipped files on Windows backup

I have been getting this message about Windows backup re Calibre Library, for some time now.

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Calibre Library. Error: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

I haven't done anything about it, because (1) I also use Mozy to backup my data files, (2) I have many other cans of worms around the house, and (3) I'm a procrastinator .

I'm not sure when it really started. Could have been when I upgraded to Windows 7 (64-bit), or when Calibre Update 0.6.17 required deletion of the old, and reinstallation of the new Calibre, or more recently when I had to get a new motherboard installed, and did a complete wipe and reinstallation of my system.

I do know it coincides with the change in location of the Calibre Library in my user folder. It used to be a subfolder in My Documents (C:\Users\xxxxx\My Documents\Calibre Library), and now it has separated itself (I didn't change anything) to C:\Users\xxxxx\Calibre Library.

Since I now have other cans of worms I don’t want to go fishing with, right now, I have decided to open this one.

I realize that, for some, the solution would be to switch to another operating system (non-Windows); however, I have a very intermediate computer skill level. I tried switching from a PC to Mac a few years ago, and that lasted all of 3 days. I have a long learning curve and a short attention span.

Please tell me how I can make sure my precious library is saved properly and automatically.

PS. Calibre is awesome!!

Last edited by momtodogs; 06-30-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: correct punctuation
momtodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
That error means that there is something wrong with your windows installation.

Microsoft's support site has many posts about this kind of problem, where the solution varies according to how the user got there. Try googling for
0x80070002 windows 7 backup site:microsoft.com

Almost all of the replies I looked at started with a suggestion that you run file system check. That is a good thing to do regardless, so you might want to start there. To do a check, right-click on the drive (probably C, select properties, then tools, then "Check now". It will probably complain about not being able to do the check at the moment, asking of you want it done at the next reboot. Say yes.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That error means that there is something wrong with your windows installation.

Microsoft's support site has many posts about this kind of problem, where the solution varies according to how the user got there. Try googling for
0x80070002 windows 7 backup site:microsoft.com

Almost all of the replies I looked at started with a suggestion that you run file system check. That is a good thing to do regardless, so you might want to start there. To do a check, right-click on the drive (probably C, select properties, then tools, then "Check now". It will probably complain about not being able to do the check at the moment, asking of you want it done at the next reboot. Say yes.
It most certainly does not mean that at all.
This KB article is quite clear about the possible causes, and a mangled windows install is not included as a cause.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Whoa! Look at the path

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Calibre Library.

I suggest there is something amiss with the Windows installation. AFAIK Calibre doesn't put anything in the Windows directory or any of its sub-directories.

On my two Windows 7 Pro systems the only things I have in C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\ are Windows related. They are busy systems in terms of installed software, but there is no trace of anything other than Windows data in that location on either system. And I do mean Windows, there's nothing even from MS Office, Visual Studio, Expression, SQL Server etc, let alone any 3rd Part apps - not even Apple or Google And in case anyone is wondering I did show hidden and system items when I took a look there.

@momtodogs- if the file system check as suggested by Chaley doesn't resolve the problem, then have a look at what's in the C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\ folder. Let us know if there is there a folder or file named "Calibre Library" or similar - if its a folder then let us know what's in it.

FWIW - I gave up on Windows Backup/Restore because of errors of the sort you're having - including Restore errors, I now use Macrium Reflect.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
It most certainly does not mean that at all.
This KB article is quite clear about the possible causes, and a mangled windows install is not included as a cause. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281
This is good information and chaley obviously didn't find this exact link, but the info he did find reflected his good advice to Google 0x80070002 windows 7 backup site:microsoft.com to find the solution.
Moderator Notice
@NSILMike please do not reply to ancient threads to argue the fine details of a response. This thread was about a year and a half old and never should have been resurrected because it wastes good folks time responding to folks they think need help, but no longer do.

@BetterRed good input but since the OP asked for help 9 months before you became a member it is no wonder you were late.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-29-2012 at 10:42 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert