Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Can you guys expand or expound upon how you use the email to your device feature?

I've never used it. I want to know what I'm missing. What kind of files do you "email" to your kindle and why. I might want to use this functionality more if I know more about why it's useful. Thanks a lot.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I just used it for the first time the other day. My wife wanted to take a large Word doc with us, I emailed it to my kindle.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've never used the conversion features of emailing a file, but have used it to email myself books from Calibre a few times and from Fictionwise as well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Well, I can only speak about the conversion stuff, even though I have K3 Wifi, as I have not had documents emailed directly to the device yet.

@OP: The FREE Amazon doc conversion feature via email is great. Send an email to <insert your account name here>@free.kindle.com, be sure to write "CONVERT" in the subject line and then attach stuff like PDF files, .docs, whatever. Few seconds later, Amazon will send you back a AZW version of the file suitable for your Kindle.

I do not choose to receive the docs via Wifi directly on my K3 because I like to edit the book metatags first. So, I have been transferring books to my K3 exclusively via USB.

not much, but hth all the same,
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I use it sometimes when I'm too lazy to get up and go find the USB cord to transfer a book from Calibre to the device.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I always use it. My Kindle has never been plugged into my computer. I just email my ebooks from Calibre, and my weekly reports I like to read I just edit in Word and email to myself from work. Its there when I get home
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i use it to email books to my kindle (that i did not get from amazon) because i'm lazy to do the usb thingy
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I use it via Calibre to send Instantpaper and books to myself, although here lately the kindle address has been choking on mobi files..quite upsetting
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Amazon explains it here. Watch out for the fees for 3G transfers.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I use it sometimes when I'm too lazy to get up and go find the USB cord to transfer a book from Calibre to the device.
That's probably my main use of the e-mail feature. I was talking to a friend who is thinking about getting a Kindle the other day. He liked the idea of being able to e-mail a Word document to his Kindle.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I use the Kindle e-mail to receive ebooks or edocuments from:

Calibre
Baen Books/Webscriptions
Personal documents
Delivereads

It is super easy to use. Just remember to go to Manage Your Kindle and put in the information from the from website or e-mail you want to get documents or books from.

I have the Wifi Kindle 3. With the 3G+Wifi, I would only send to the Youremail@free.kindle.com address.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
scubayak
scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Nook Color
In addition to the uses other posters have already described, I use the fetch news feature in Calibre and have news automatically emailed to my Kindle every day. If you're interested, there is a small tutorial on this at my blog, which is linked in my signature.
scubayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've used it, like many others, through Calibre to send stuff to my Kindle when I don't have the usb handy.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I feel the need to point out that the email feature is really only convenient (relatively speaking) for Kindle 3 owners. You can set it up to always send documents directly to your Kindle via your *@free.Kindle.com (so that they always go via wifi) free of charge... yada, yada.

To get documents delivered directly to your K2 or DX (no wifi) you are going to be charged a small fee. And if you send documents to your *@free.kindle.com, they go to your Amazon account's associated email address... and you still need to transfer them to your Kindle via USB cable.

So while there are still some times that I use my Kindle's email address... with K2's/DX's, there's no; "Woohoo!! This is really frickin' handy, free, and great!" feeling. But yeah, I can see K3 owners really digging it.

/END SOUR GRAPES.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
As for the fees and the @free.kindle.com vs. just @kindle.com, I've actually set the maximum "fee" I'm willing to pay to 0.00. This means that even my @kindle.com address becomes a free.kindle.com address. I'm too frugal to want to pay fees for emailing documents to my Kindle.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote