Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
jingram221
jingram221 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre/Kindle 3 Public Libraries

Hello all,

I am brand new to the forums, and in need of some help. I am in the process of deciding between the Kindle 3 and the Nook Simple Touch. I would really like to buy the Kindle, but would also like to use the ebook services from my local library.

Is it possible to obtain a book from the public library and use Calibre to convert the book to a format that's can be read on the Kindle 3?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
jingram221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
No. Library books are DRM protected and calibre cannot convert anything with DRM.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Some libraries carry kindle formatted books.
Myself I would chose the nook and see how you like it. More versatile I think.
I bought a kindle for my mother and she loves it, but I really disliked the keyboard and the way the book index seems to hop around.
Still it is nice in many ways

Buy one with a good return policy and if you don't like it return it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
No. Library books are DRM protected and calibre cannot convert anything with DRM.
True for the most part, but some library books are DRM free ePub (admittedly not much available yet) which of course can be converted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Some libraries carry kindle formatted books
There are currently no Kindle formatted library books (unless you mean the libraries that loan out physical Kindle devices). There are some that offer Mobi formatted books, but the DRM isn't compatible with the Kindle unless you modify the file a bit.

Library lending will be available on the Kindle later this year (libraries won't have to purchase "Kindle Copies" or anything, their current inventories will be made to work with the Kindle and Kindle apps).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Some libraries carry kindle formatted books.
Some carry Mobipocket eBooks and they are not compatible as the DRM is different then AZW. And if any did carry DRM free Mobipocket, it's not much if any and it's not anything recent.

I suggest going with the nook Touch. You'll have access to library eBooks now (no idea when the Kindle will). You'll have a nice touch screen. And you'll have ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If it is just for library ebooks, and you want something now, Nook is the way to go at this point in time; I don't expect the Overdrive support for Kindle to arrive until December (the only official time frame given is 'this year').

If you happen to have a smartphone or even just an iPod Touch, I would get a Kindle and use your smart thing until the Kindle library feature arrives. Overdrive's app is fairly decent and it is a much more convenient workflow than using a dedicated ereader like Nook because it doesn't involve side-loading.

Considering the entire ecosystem, Amazon's selection, store, and support is much better. Kindle's feature set is richer. And when library borrowing comes to Kindle, the lending user experience should be much better as well (wireless delivery, no need to side-load with ADE, synching multiple devices, annotation backup etc.).

Also Kindle has a workable web browser that allows you to consume web content (things like wikipedia work great), and download content from various web sites (including dropbox or calibre's built-in content server), and Amazon offers a unique-among-ereaders delivery and conversion service that lets you push content to your Kindle wirelessly (both with services like instapaper and ad hoc using browser plugins like Send To Kindle). With Nook, all 3rd party content has to be side-loaded; wireless is basically reserved just for purchasing and managing books from B&N. The only downside is that Kindle's eBook formats are inferior to ePub, though that doesn't matter most of the time.

I've been a Kindle user since K2 came out, but just bought a Nook STR. I see them as complementary: I'll use nook for library books and my computer book collection (for the latter, I think ePub will look better and be easier to navigate on Nook), Kindle for everything else (I also have the idea of using them together for studying foreign languages - one displaying Russian or whatever, the other the English translation). It remains to be seen how it will affect my ebook purchasing habits, but I suspect I'll continue to invest in Kindle books. My interest is broader than just reading, I'm also interested in the technology of reading, so I could justify the purchase of Nook on that basis.

I won't get into whether touch interface is 'better' than Kindle's many buttons. I'm pretty neutral on it myself but others seem to be more passionate about their preferences. At this point, neither interface achieves any sort of perfection, yet both are good enough for productive reading.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-16-2011 at 12:25 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Actually there are plugins available to let Calibre handle DRM-infected ebooks, See Apprentice Alf's blog.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Actually there are plugins available to let Calibre handle DRM-infected ebooks, See Apprentice Alf's blog.
They are illegal in the US under the DMCA. I am not about to tell someone that they can do something by doing something illegal.

Those plugins are also not condoned or endoursed by the people behind calibre. I will also DRM removal instructions are against MobileRead policy. And if you haven't seen Kovid's signature no assistance (by him as well as other calibre devs) will be given for DRM removal.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
DRM removal may or may not be legal in your country. It is not legal in the United States. The MobileRead Policy on the discussion of DRM removal is:
Moderator Notice
Please do not post links to DRM removal tools nor give detailed instructions for DRM removal .

Our policy is that we permit the discussion of DRM removal in the abstract, but not the provision of detailed instructions for DRM removal nor direct linking to sites where such instructions or tools are hosted.

Regardless of whether DRM removal is legal in your country or not, it is almost universally illegal to copy or distribute copies of copyrighted works without the authors permission.

There are many who oppose the laws on DRM removal and DRM itself (which make it difficult for users to read their books on all their devices), while supporting the laws against copyright infringement.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram221 View Post
Hello all,

I am brand new to the forums, and in need of some help. I am in the process of deciding between the Kindle 3 and the Nook Simple Touch. I would really like to buy the Kindle, but would also like to use the ebook services from my local library.

Is it possible to obtain a book from the public library and use Calibre to convert the book to a format that's can be read on the Kindle 3?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
Kindle books will be available through your local public library using Overdrive within the next few months. Any ebook that your library has available can be borrowed as a Kindle book with no need to convert anything.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Kindle books will be available through your local public library using Overdrive within the next few months. Any ebook that your library has available can be borrowed as a Kindle book with no need to convert anything.
Only if you happen to live in the United States. Please bear in mind that most people do not .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
jingram221
jingram221 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you very much for all of your responses. This helps me make my decision. I appreciate your time.
jingram221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, we don't know for sure if DRM removal for personal use of purchased eBooks is illegal or not and we may never know unless we get a ruling by a judge.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:05 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, we don't know for sure if DRM removal for personal use of purchased eBooks is illegal or not and we may never know unless we get a ruling by a judge.
"We" in the UK know damn well that it's illegal; the law is perfectly clear on the matter.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In The Netherlands it is illegal if it is for copyright infingement. For personal use (format shifting) the law isn't clear. The law even gives the government the right to force DRM suppliers to provide removal facilities for those cases where users can't use the legally obtained contents otherwise. Unfortunately they haven't done this.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle 3, public library