Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
obsessed2
Edge User

Pocket Edge Hibernation Issues

Seems the PE is not exempt from the hibernation issues being reported by EE owners. I too have experienced several occasions where the PE refuses to wake up when pressing the Menu button. This seems to happen when I close the lid and not when I use the Power Switch and manually select hibernate (makes me wonder if the camera has anything to do with hibernation because how does the PE sense when the cover is closed). Fortunately every time the PE would not wake up I hold the power switch the PE shuts off and I am able to bring it back up with no problems. My son also has a PE and he says he has NEVER experienced any problems with hibernation. He did tell me that once the PE would not turn off and he left it on over night and was able to turn it off in the morning. Maybe some service running in the background might be interfering with the hibernation resume process. The majority of the time my PE comes out of hibernation without an issue. Have any other PE owners experienced any problems with hibernation? I understand by default Froyo shuts down (suspends) Apps when you exit out of them. However, has anyone used a Task Killer program and do you think there is a need for one?

Old 05-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
gecko
Edge User

I use Advanced Task Killer (on my EdGe and my phone). Don't know if there's any *need* for them; it depends on what *need* means. It's another button to push, so I feel like I'm actually running the machine. I prefer cars with manual transmissions for the same reason.

Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
I use Advanced Task Killer (on my EdGe and my phone). Don't know if there's any *need* for them; it depends on what *need* means. It's another button to push, so I feel like I'm actually running the machine. I prefer cars with manual transmissions for the same reason.
The "need" might be to make sure all tasks are killed before putting it into hibernate. Like I said, the majority of the time my PE wakes up fine from hibernation but, there has been about 3-4 times since I have owned it (almost 1 month) where it wouldn't wake up and I had to power it down. My son has a PE and he has never had any problems with hibernation. I'm thinking maybe I have an App or task that is cached in hibernation is preventing it from waking up on occasion.

Last edited by obsessed2; 05-10-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
larka2006
Edge User

I had Ermine on PE for about a week, not have a single problem with hibernation wake up, I usually just close up PE, but did several force hibernation through power slide or rotate button. Always wake up quickly. One service is running and using most battery is Edge Idle (cell phone icon, 100% out of service range, of course), I have no idea why and how to stop this. If I use wi-fi, there is another service of Edge Idle (with Wifi icon on it). On Dingo there is no such services, only "display" and "camera" services if no wifi used. However Dingo PE lost almost all battery being powered off completely for 5 days, and Ermine PE hibernated for 44 hours and still had 83% left (and actually ereader was used during that time intermittently).

UPDATE: Now my PE hibernates and I cannot bring it back, not even with power switch. I recall this was the first time it fell asleep with WIFI running and I moved to different network with it... Also it is not usually hot when hibernates, now it is...Any suggestions???

Last edited by larka2006; 05-16-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
mark.r
Edge User

I have a new PE with the ermine update and it has been having problems going into hibernation- sometimes when I fold it shut it hibernates and sometimes it doesn't. The power switch always works and it has never had a problem coming out of hibernation.

I have wi-fi turned on, and set to sleep when the screen goes off.

I have very few apps loaded on the device and when I look at "running processes" I don't see anything related to any of those apps. Any ideas?

Advert