Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
lorenzoens
Edge User

high-pitch hum while charging (solved?)

Updated: I replaced my ac cord and the hum seems to be gone.

Here's the updated report:
Since i replaced the ac cord, the high pitch hum comes out from the power brick with a minor intensity and only when the battery is fully charged.

If I turn on the device with NO BATTERY in, the hum comes out strong and a bit lower as pitch. The hum peaks evertime I perform some kind of action on the eDGe. If I turn off the unit, the hum stops

I'm waiting for cust support to know if they still think I have to return the unit for replacement. By my opinion, if there's a problem it's in the power supplier and not in the eDGe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in Italy, and my power supplier SOMETIMES (I have no idea if particular conditions may cause it) makes a very high-pitch hum while charging. The more time it charges, the stronger the hum. But only SOMETIMES, let's say 50% of the times.
  • I have a spare battery and the hum is the same with it too. On both batteries the code is 0410
  • While charging the device, the led is usually green and blinking. Note that usually I dont use the battery 'til complete discharge.
  • Yes I did try to charge the device in many different power outlets, and in different houses
  • Without the battery no noise seems to come out, but I tried it just a couple of times.

Support asked me to send back the device for replacement! Now, I'm in Italy, I own the Edge from a month and I have to ship it to USA already, it would be a bit pricey shipping, and I couldnt work with the EE for at least a month, I think.

What would you do?

Note that I replaced by myself the AC chord from the power supplier to the AC plug, as it came with a USA kind of plug.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 05-14-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Do you have access to a voltage converter, like a traveler might use, that you can try with the original cord?

Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
lorenzoens
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Do you have access to a voltage converter, like a traveler might use, that you can try with the original cord?
Hi Donna thanks for answering me. Nope, dont have it, but there should be no need for it as the power supplier which comes with the Edge is good for both European and USA market. I just plugged in an italian cable which goes from the supplier to the outlet.

There might me another cause: I used to wind the replaced cable on itself, in quite small circles, as I dont need it in its lenght. I unwinded and tried charging again, and there was no hum. I should try winding it again.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 04-29-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Queue
Edge User

I have a similar, but high pitched buzz occasionally when I use a certain cord, too. I'm live in Korea, so 220v, euro-style plugs. I replaced the part of the cord from the wall to the converter with a local cord so I don't need a wall adapter. The one I use at home is fine, no noise. The cord I use at the office has a high-pitched buzz. So I'm pretty sure it's just the cord in my case. Try a different cord and make sure it's jammed tightly into the converter. A new cord will be a whole lot less than sending your edge back for repair for what sounds like not a problem.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
ivan
Edge User

The only special thing about the eDGe charger is the size of the plug for the eDGe otherwise it is a standard 12v 2.5A switch mode power supply. Note the 'switch mode' in the type of supply, it means just that. Most of the cheap supplies switch at about 15 kHz which should be audible to young ears, especially if it is amplified by the unit being on something that resonates. A loose power lead can cause noise but that is more of a crackle than buzz.

The thing to look out for as a problem in this type of supply is overheating of the case in one spot.

As I said it is a standard supply and I've charged my EE with a 12v 6A supply for another piece of equipment - all I needed was an adapter to fit the EE.

Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
lorenzoens
Edge User

I just used the Edge until the battery was low, then recharged it. No hum at first, but it came out when the battery was 100% from some hours already. Now I swapped out the first battery and put inside the second, will see if and when the hum will come out again.

I noticed that it comes out mainly from the unit.

Thank you Queue and ivan, your answers are useful too.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 04-30-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Franky
Edge User

if you've gottah send it back, can't you ship it to there European partner? Can't they help you out?

I was forced to ship it back to the USA, because they didn't had any European partner. Furthermore, they couldn't, for whatever reason, ship it back to me, because I live in Switzerland. I had to use a friend in the US who I used as a receive & send partner. If you have to ship it back, it's worth asking if they are willing to ship outside the USA.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
lorenzoens
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
I just used the Edge until the battery was low, then recharged it. No hum at first, but it came out when the battery was 100% from some hours already. Now I swapped out the first battery and put inside the second, will see if and when the hum will come out again.
Now the second battery should be fully charged, the high-pitch hum comes out from the power supplier only, and if I try to move the connection between the supplier and the AC plug, it stops for a second then starts over again. If I unplug the plug for the Egde, the hum stops. If I swap out the battery, the hum stops.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
lorenzoens
Edge User

updated, see in the first post