Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
xander
Edge User

Entourage Edge and JPG's to PDF files

Hi Forum

I'm new to this forum and seriously thinking of getting an Entourage Edge (10") but I need to know if the device will allow me to annotate JPG images or do I first have to convert the image to PDF?

So, if I had an image of (say) a crossword I've snapped from a friends newspaper and wanted to 'solve' it on the the EE, would it allow me to fill in the 'digital' grids? I'm aware that there are sites with interactive crosswords, I just wondered if this way was possible?

Hope you can help - and thanks.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
sarah11918
Edge User

There is an Android app PicSay that works perfectly well on the edge that allows you to draw on your pictures, but that's on the tablet not e-ink side.

If solving crosswords and puzzles is really what you want, there is an awesome website that has hundreds you can download as pdfs. (there's another puzzle thread on here - just search for puzzle). It works awesomely.

I haven't tried opening a jpeg on the e-reader side. If I get a chance to do so today, I'll post back. Just wanted to mention my favourite puzzle site and how well the edge works for solving puzzles in pdf form.

Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
xander
Edge User

Hi Sarah11918

Thanks for the reply. Prior to posting I came across your http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ntable-Puzzles link because of the subject title. It has certain points which could be of interest to me.

If I converted the crossword image to PDF, I'd imagine the EE would allow me to 'solve' the puzzle on the tablet? I'd really like to know which side that would be possible.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
sarah11918
Edge User

The e-ink (reader) side is the side that allows you to open and write on pdfs with the stylus using the built in programs (Reader, Journal etc.)
The lcd (tablet) side is the one that runs apps and is touch screen.

What I believe is the better set up is to have pdfs and solve on the e-ink (reader) screen. This is because it's not a touch screen and only responds to the pen. So it's easier for handwriting because you can rest your palm on the device, or hit the screen by mistake and not have it "write" something. That's how this should be used to maximum effect.

The LCD (tablet) side is a touch screen and any item can "touch" it to activate it. You can view pdfs on the tablet side through an app. the app I mentioned before was a lightweight photo editing app. (Not for touch ups, but more for adding smilie faces and mustaches on people, for example.) So if all you had was a jpg, then you could crudely add markings to "solve" the puzzle using that app, or I'm sure other apps that exist for making marks on photos.

But absolutely the best way to go about puzzle solving is to have pdfs and use the e-ink (reader) side.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
xander
Edge User

Hi sarah11918 - thanks for that.

I think I've found the tablet I've been looking for - with your help. It would have been ideal if I could have some 'in-store' hands-on with the tablet. I don't believe its available in UK stores, but there's always Amazon.

Would you recommend the EE size for what I require of the tablet - as its larger in size? I made the decision to go with the 10" because I'd like some room in screen real estate which the PE would be lacking. What do you think?

Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
sarah11918
Edge User

If the main thing you need to do is solve puzzles then the EE (not PE) is an awesome size.

If the main thing you need to do is have this device in a pocket at all times and carry around, you may wish to consider the PE, though in truth, I think it might be too small to provide a good puzzle-solving experience.

Please note that something seems to be happening with the company today, so I encourage you to find some members here who might be thinking of selling their devices and consider picking up one used for a cheaper price. (And I encourage those members in that situation to make themselves known to xander.)

For what it's worth, I LOVE my edge and have had a great year with it, and will use it for many more. It's the only thing available RIGHT NOW that will do what you want it to do WELL. But, we're not sure what this company has in store (a new device? closing up shop?) so please do take that into consideration if making a purchase. Any of the regular members of this site (click on Community in the top bar, then click on "posts" to sort by number of posts) would be entirely reliable sellers from which to purchase a used device. Try to make contact with them soon, in case this forum is also a casualty of the website changes.

I can be found around the webz under this user name if anyone needs to contact me again. You know, just in case.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I think I've found the tablet I've been looking for - with your help.
If you are referring to the EE or PE, I suggest you re-think...or at least read more of the forum.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
xander
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
If you are referring to the EE or PE, I suggest you re-think...or at least read more of the forum.
I was referring to the EE, but your reply implies that the choice is suspect. As you see 'sarah11918' gave me a few pointers. Could you expand on your comment, as I'm close to purchase...but it COULD be delayed if you have a valid point. I'm sensing that there is some sort of upheavel at Entourage which may lead to them discontinuing the product and leaving me with an obsolete device with no upgrades or support - even more so than when it first hit the shelves?

Old 04-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Exclamation Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I was referring to the EE, but your reply implies that the choice is suspect. As you see 'sarah11918' gave me a few pointers. Could you expand on your comment, as I'm close to purchase...but it COULD be delayed if you have a valid point. I'm sensing that there is some sort of upheavel at Entourage which may lead to them discontinuing the product and leaving me with an obsolete device with no upgrades or support - even more so than when it first hit the shelves?
Read these threads;

1. Serious Developments

2. What went wrong

3. Froyo coming after all

4. A long overdue update

Should be sufficient to form an opinion.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
Careermama
Edge User

I really don't understand if we want the company to survive, how scaring off potential customers is a good idea. I love my edge and almost didn't buy it in Feb cause of this forum.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
gecko
Edge User

A single message from the company would be enough to close off all the ominous threads in the forum. They prefer to keep us in the dark, though.

Some of us can hang on the wall, patiently, but most of you are mammals and get bored easily. The company is probably mostly mammals, too, and should understand this.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
Careermama
Edge User

Unless its a buyout...which often means your not allowed to say anything...could be a multitude of reasons. Dh has worked in industry for a long time...and I have often seen the..shut up till your told its OK. We don't work for them. Have signed no nondisclosures...not required to tell us anything. Zen did say stay tuned.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
borisb
Edge User

Buyout/takeover - then why have all the (historical) Press Releases disappeared?

enTourage has not denied anything that has been stated in these forums. Take that for what it's worth.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #14
xander
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careermama View Post
I really don't understand if we want the company to survive, how scaring off potential customers is a good idea. I love my edge and almost didn't buy it in Feb cause of this forum.
Well this is the thing, 'Careermama'. Having trawled tinternet for an 'iDevice' that suits my needs, I thought the 'scare stories' on the forum was part of some very elaborate April 1 thing. Then I had another thought: "...hang on, it's gone past that date and these stories have been going since late Feb/early March...so...". Then I read all that 'Gunnerp245' suggested (thank you) and although a few die-hards are refusing to believe the current situation and WON'T let go of their beloved eEdge, others are jumping ship. To formularize some of the arguments: iPad + Android OS = - eEdge.

So, with a (apparently) very silent Entourage ....I'll hold on to my £'s (but, still be watching THIS space.....)

Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careermama View Post
I am very positive about the eDGe devices as well. But it is not up to us as customers to avoid speculation for the sake of not "scaring off customers". That is the company's responsibility which they have not met, to date. Until they provide some information, given a forum to do so, customer speculation is to be expected as normal behavior.