Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Lightbulb A better eInk Journal writing experience

(retracted)

Last edited by borisb; 08-15-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
alefor
Edge User

Great suggestion! So, enTourage should make the effort to at least sell a full sized pen thru their store. It seems they should do everything possible to encourage students to use the eDGe. The included stylus just won't cut it.

Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Another thing I've personally noticed is that it helps to rotate the eInk screen 180 degrees (Settings - Display - Screen orientation) when I'm doing a lot of Journal writing. This makes sense, of course, as normally you write on the right side of a journal/binder/book.
Unless, of course, you're left-handed. It's perfect for me!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
ckole
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Unless, of course, you're left-handed. It's perfect for me!
Me too! Signed Lefty

Old 04-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
devseev
Edge User

I also find that using the buttons for page turns, etc. is more convenient in 180 degree rotation mode. I am right-handed, but I guess in the minority here

Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
janiki
Edge User

Can anyone share what type of pen they use, or which full size pens would work best with the eDGe?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
...Another thing I've personally noticed is that it helps to rotate the eInk screen 180 degrees (Settings - Display - Screen orientation) when I'm doing a lot of Journal writing. This makes sense, of course, as normally you write on the right side of a journal/binder/book.

This way your elbow is floating free off the side of the eDGe rather than brushing the LCD side (and possibly activating things you didn't intend). At least to me, this feels mroe comfortable and natural.
Ya, swapping sides was the first thing I figured out as a "rightie". Touching the e-ink screen had me inadvertently clicking things on the LCD.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 AM   #8
Kewlcat
Edge User

Hope this is the right thread. I searched but couldnt quite find what I was look for, so here goes...

I know a lot of people use the Journal side for notes, but is it me or does the writing on that side look...well...not attractive??
It cant be me, because when I use Maple paint on the LCD side, my writing looks much better...

Am I missing something?
I cant stand to look at my writing if its that ugly...or do most people not care about it so much & I'm just being nit-picky :P

Old 05-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #9
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewlcat View Post
Hope this is the right thread. I searched but couldnt quite find what I was look for, so here goes...

I know a lot of people use the Journal side for notes, but is it me or does the writing on that side look...well...not attractive??
It cant be me, because when I use Maple paint on the LCD side, my writing looks much better...

Am I missing something?
I cant stand to look at my writing if its that ugly...or do most people not care about it so much & I'm just being nit-picky :P
Be sure that under Tool "Shapemaker" or "Ruler" is NOT checked and use pencil "Fine". Should me kind like Maplepaint result.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Kewlcat
Edge User

Thanks for replying sjarrel. I checked out those settings & neither shapemaker nor ruler are selected. The thing is when I set the pencil to 'Fine' the stroke looks rather pixel-ated (the 'Medium' is a bit better), as opposed to Maple paint which looks smooth. Not sure if this is because of the e-ink technology...
But I realised that even the strokes are sometimes a bit off in certain parts of the screen...so some letters get squished up...I will try re-calibrating a few more times & see if it improves things...

Old 05-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
sarah11918
Edge User

My journal looks fine. I do wonder whether the journal looks better on the EE than the PE. I had heard people report more unusable screen areas on the PE (ie it was more difficult to write near the margins of the screen) and on a smaller screen, that effect would surely be more pronounced.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
AguaKate
Edge User

Also, the margin issue is MUCH better on Ermine! When you have the "quick draw" option selected (default) the first version of what you write will be pixelated, and when you refresh the screen or it auto-refreshes, the writing should smooth out. If you don't like seeing that pixelated first version and don't mind a slower response, you can turn off the quick draw feature in settings in journal preferences. I prefer fast response.