Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
official forums going down tonight.

Posted by an employee of entourage:

Quote:
Dear eDGe Community, We greatly appreciate your support over the previous year but we unfortunately we must come to an end today. In the coming hours we will be shutting down the forum site. We suggest you consolidate the community back to one of the original locations where you started such as MobileRead or Google. You have been a fabulous group to work with. Special thanks go to Boris (who we re-iterate has never been an employee) who has definitely become a great friend to all eDGe users. Best of luck to all of you. Entourage Systems.
I'll try to get up my forum backup(made Saturday) by tonight, this one should be much more complete.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
North19
Enthusiast
North19 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage eDGe, pocket eDGe, kindle
Anyone have any answers on where (if anywhere) we go for service? And whether update services are going down as well?
North19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 05-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
North19
Enthusiast

(Thank you Emusan for your work on the backup)
Old 05-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by North19 View Post
Anyone have any answers on where (if anywhere) we go for service? And whether update services are going down as well?
North19, the company is out of business. There will be no updates, downloads, website, support, warranty, service, etc.

From now on, you'll have to visit these forums where other eDGe users will be able to help you.

Handle your eDGe with great care, because once it breaks, that'll be it.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
North19
Enthusiast

How frustrating that on 5/21 when they said "In order for new users to register their device and purchase e-books from other sources, the registration server that controls the registration information of the device will remain online for the foreseeable future." they didn't seem to know that "the foreseeable future" would be less than two weeks, then.

Given that I won't have access to my full-size eDGe in the mail to register it until later this week, and given that I spent over $300 for it, I'm hoping that registration isn't actually essential for anything, or I will have a very expensive paperweight.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

registration was only useful to gain access to the store and forums, with those gone you will just have to skip the step in the setup(you will then have to go and calibrate the reader screen in settings as I think that step comes after registration). Also, they didn't mention anything about the registration, just the forums, so it may well stay up(hopefully).
Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
It's eery when a corporation goes down. I've been there for several. Different departments invariably have a different view to reality and usually I.T. is the most hopeful since I.T. almost never has any hand in the collapse. But they're given the most hopeful misinformation because it's essential to keep it running as long as possible to close things out.

In short, those who ran the servers might have been told anything, or not told anything at all and just did their best to provide information from the chaos.

The good news is that those who did so much to make the Entourage a great platform will move on to apply their skills to other projects and products that some of us might buy.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Franky
富蘭久 伴 多 告
Franky began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Entourage Edge, NotionInk Adam, Samsung S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
North19, the company is out of business. There will be no updates, downloads, website, support, warranty, service, etc.

From now on, you'll have to visit these forums where other eDGe users will be able to help you.

Handle your eDGe with great care, because once it breaks, that'll be it.
Basicly, the only thing we can do is getting yourself a spare eDGe . It's interesting to see that in Europe they still sell them and act as if nothing is happening. If you got a problem, they claim that they service that.

Now, when I got my spare one, I need to register that. How will that go? And will I be able to upgrade to Ermine from the file I downloaded on my PC?
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky View Post
Basicly, the only thing we can do is getting yourself a spare eDGe . It's interesting to see that in Europe they still sell them and act as if nothing is happening. If you got a problem, they claim that they service that.

Now, when I got my spare one, I need to register that. How will that go? And will I be able to upgrade to Ermine from the file I downloaded on my PC?
As I said above registration is not necessary, and there are a few guides around here(and on the official forums) on how to upgrade with the file you downloaded. I think you just have to place the update.zip(rename it if it is different) on the root directory of a USB stick and place that in the eDGe, turn off the eDGe and then turn back on while holding the rotate and menu buttons(you will need to hold them for about 7 seconds to begin the update process).
Old 05-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Franky
富蘭久 伴 多 告
Franky began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Entourage Edge, NotionInk Adam, Samsung S4
Darn, I'm getting old. You're right, you did describe that, Emusan. Just missed it.
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
geckoFeet
Resident Reptile
geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.

Device: entourage edge
Just in time for me to miss enjoying my banning - seems that they were monitoring the forum. Never mind all the problems people were having with the machines or the company, or the many questions they could have answered but ignored. I got banned for "violating forum rules," which I guess means I shouldn't have posted in Latin. (mister_ed posted in Greek, but left off all the diacritics, so he's, um, off the hook).

Congratulations to cheyennedonna on her scholarship..
geckoFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoFeet View Post
I shouldn't have posted in Latin.
That's just UNRULY!
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
emusan
lol

that must have been due to an autoban, I'm quite sure that they don't moderate the forum anymore, as some of the posts lately have been a bit vulgar(not to mention certain users avatars).
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
tiatrenee
tiatrenee began at the beginning.

Device: PE
Well this doesn't surprise me....the site going down. I saw it coming yesterday when I couldn't get a login screen. It is such a shame.....I just got my PE last week. One of the last one's that Amazon had for under $200. So far I'm not sorry....hope I remain as such. You guys on this forum are great....thank goodness you are here!!!
tiatrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #15
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
Someone should contact the admin and beg for their source code. They have nothing to lose giving it away.
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote