Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 02-03-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony PEG-TH55

What a beauty! It even has WiFi!. Cannot wait to see what Sony brings out for OS 6 soon

http://www.sony.jp/CLIE/products/dem...H55/index.html

(needs flash)
Old 02-06-2004, 11:35 AM   #2
jasondv
Enthusiast
jasondv began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten|T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
What a beauty! It even has WiFi!. Cannot wait to see what Sony brings out for OS 6 soon
Agree. This is close to perfect (320 by 480 screen, tablet mode, Wi-Fi, looong battery life -- 5.5 hours of Wi-Fi with brightness setting on MAX, 17 hours on MIN). Don't know how many people will pick this up, though, as OS 6 is just around the corner.

Apparently, it will be released in Hong Kong soon, and there's an English page available here. Enjoy!
Advert
Old 02-06-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Ditto the "near perfect" sentiments...this one has me seriously thinking about upgrading.

OS6 issue doesn't seem to be an issue...since apps to take advantage of that are probably farther off than the release of ox6, and the network improvements are nil as well...by the time any OS6 model is fully taken advantage of, it will be time to trade this one in anyway, so might as well upgrade now!
Old 02-06-2004, 03:20 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps it will be even possible to upgrade from OS5 to OS6? I thought I heard something about it somewhere...
Old 02-06-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Perhaps it will be even possible to upgrade from OS5 to OS6? I thought I heard something about it somewhere...
Sony? Allowing an os upgrade? They whip people for that in Tokyo, don't they? ;-)

Aren't the processors for the new os6 units going to be different?
Advert
Old 02-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #6
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Quote:
I've heard that there will, indeed, be an upgrade from 5 to 6. Otherwise they will have pissed off a considerable number of users... Users with disposable cash, who buy things like the UX50!

As for the TH55, I'm torn on my next upgrade. I've been looking at the
TJ37. The US model will have wifi, which suits me fine. What reason would I have for getting the TH55 other than 320x480?

I am totally psyched that Sony finally got it together and is coming out with low-cost handhelds with wifi though!
Old 02-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

For me 320x480 is already one major reason to go for the TH55. Too bad it doesn't natively support landscape like the T3 - 320x480 landscape is a true pleasure for reading ebooks & browsing the web.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:15 PM   #8
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

I see.

Well for me it's at $150 price point issue.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:27 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

True true. But how often do you buy a new PDA? I still use my old Clie 760cd And before that I was a proud owner of a Palm Vx.

What usually pays off is to wait two months or so, when the current latest model is replaced by an even newer model. Prices drop sharply then
Old 02-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #10
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

Quote:
True true. But how often do you buy a new PDA? I still use my old Clie 760cd And before that I was a proud owner of a Palm Vx.

What usually pays off is to wait two months or so, when the current latest model is replaced by an even newer model. Prices drop sharply then

Totally true. So then the question becomes: Will it be worth it to wait for the TH55 to come down to a TJ37 level?
Old 02-08-2004, 01:19 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I'd say yes. That is probably what I do Wait for the prices to drop.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:02 AM   #12
gvtexas
Addict

SonyUSA is now showing (and accepting orders) for the TH55 ($399.99) and TJ37 ($299.99).

This is the first time i've been really torn about preordering (and not waiting until the first price drop) a pda, since the 55 is near zactly what I've been waiting for. Trouble is, there's always a few "oops" with any new model, so what's going to be the oops for this one? Or should i wait to see the new Palm T-whatever?

Decisions, decisions....

Main differences (per Sony's spec sheets):
55 has 123mhz Sony Handheld Engine cpu, 37 has 200mhz i.MXL cpu (have to think the 55 is better/faster/more power stingy, but no facts behind that)
55 has voice recorder, 320x480 screen
55 is .10 thicker, .38 taller
55 can sync via wifi
55 is 1.5oz. heavier

Personally, the screen size is the drawing card of the 55. I miss my HandEra's huge screen, and although the 320x320 Sony screens are nice, that extra real estate is mighty handy and makes the wifi almost usable.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:09 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvtexas
Trouble is, there's always a few "oops" with any new model, so what's going to be the oops for this one?
I've heard people complaining that the Sony manufactured ARM926 based processor it features is one of the slowest OS5-based CPUs around. On the other hand, I don't want the fastest CPU in town if that means that my battery is dead within the next 2-4 hours. What it still misses in my view:

- Landscape view (great for eBook readers)
- OLED screen (Sony announced that it will commercialize an active matrix OLED in spring this year!) = better display and less battery-consumption
Old 02-10-2004, 10:10 AM   #14
jasondv
Enthusiast
jasondv began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten|T
I have a friend with a UX-50. While it doesn't feel blazing fast like the T|C and T|T3 do, it's no slouch either. But even the 144Mhz TI OMAP in my T2 feels pretty fast enough, so I don't think the Sony "handheld engine" will be a disappointment.

What I don't get is why they couldn't get it to do "instant" landscape like the T3 does.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:22 PM   #15
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I have no intention of buying this unit, since my T3 is just fine, thank you, and I see no reason to buy a new unit without OS6.

BUT, I do see serious drawbacks to the TH: the hardware buttons, long a Sony annoyance, are in a simply awful position; the jog dial is on the back, and I suggest to all of you that you move your index up and down on the back of your PDA to see how that feels; the horizontal buttons on either side of the jog dial are small, to judge from the pictures; the processor is slower which to most of you is probably of little import but to me who uses 10-15meg dictionaries it will make a real difference (when I went from my 615 to the T3, my 12meg English-Russian dictionary went from taking 9-10 secs to appear to less than 1).

I will wait for OS6 and an OLED screen. Philippe Radley