Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Bill Beaux
Bill Beaux began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Thumbs down Is Sony just not going to address the no-Collections-on-external-storage issue?

I bought a Reader in the first week of release and thought that this would be considered a priority issue, but several long months and two updates later and nothing has changed. As far as I can tell Sony does not even acknowledge that this is a problem.
Bill Beaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
It is an issue?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
It is an issue?
Heck yes! In particular, it's a big problem for those of us who have hundreds of books on the reader. Most of them on an external-card, of course.

Collections on the external card would help a ton with keeping track of series and the order of books. It would also be one more way to (slightly) ease the problem of navigating to the book you want when the list of books is 60 or 70 pages long.

Various folks have suggested that Sony left out this feature (along with hierarchical navigation of some sort) in order to make the device as simple as possible -- sort of a KISS decision. This might have been a good choice for some portion of their audience... but they forgot to think about the really heavy readers amongst us. Like me! Just who did they think would be springing for a $350 single-purpose book reader anyway? Seems like a no-brainer that it would be the folks at the intersection of gadget-freaks, early adopters, and heavy readers. And a large fraction of such folks have no problem with hierarchy. AND have the desire to have many many documents on the device at any given time.

So... How 'bout it, Sony? When will you do something to make it easier for us to manage 500 to 1000 books on the reader? Collections on the external memory card? Hierarchy of some sort that actually works? These things can be OFF by default, if the KISS thing is really at issue here.
Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sony is definitely aware that this feature is a highly requested feature. And they have been relatively responsive with two firmware upgrades already, and not locking down the device too tightly against the numerous user "hacks" that we have seen thanks to igorsk's great universal flasher.

Count me in among those who would really like to see a hierarchical system for books. However, while I first considered the SD card essential for storing books, I have found that the internal memory is sufficient for me. I wouldn't want more files on it until we can delete directly from the Reader anyway.

On the other hand, it would be pretty awesome if I could keep a whole library on a 1 or 2 gig card and not have it "mess up" my main book list for internal books. Even better if I could transfer to/from the SD card from the main internal book list or across folders. That would make the delete function not as important also, as I could use a "Deleted" or "Completed" folder to keep track.

As it stands I still consider the SD card slot important, but only for two things:
1) Music, but not often, mostly because I never am sure if the music player is off or not, and it's not real easy to navigate.
2) Passing books to the reader without having to use the connect software and a cable.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
The KISS theory with regards to hierarchical storage or collections doesn't make sense though, in the context of the expandable memory, unless Sony assumed that primarily music would be going on to the expandable memory. But in that case, why make the software support putting a book on the SD/MS slots at all. They had to know it would be possible to put literally thousands of files on a SD or MS card, which is the nightmare to manage it currently is.

I haven't put any music on my cards, is the management of mp3 files any better, i.e. do you get some hierarchical support there, or is that also flat?
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman View Post
The KISS theory with regards to hierarchical storage or collections doesn't make sense though, in the context of the expandable memory, unless Sony assumed that primarily music would be going on to the expandable memory. But in that case, why make the software support putting a book on the SD/MS slots at all. They had to know it would be possible to put literally thousands of files on a SD or MS card, which is the nightmare to manage it currently is.

I haven't put any music on my cards, is the management of mp3 files any better, i.e. do you get some hierarchical support there, or is that also flat?
The management of mp3s on a SD card is exactly the same as ebooks.

I wonder if they thought no one would want to use the card slot?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote