Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 08-25-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Iphone Unlocked

Engadget was shown a successful software unlock method for the Iphone. Cool.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/i...ugust-24-2007/
Old 08-26-2007, 03:25 AM   #2
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Actually made the public paper over here, kinda exciting to hear. Apparently the guy (a 17 y.o. kid!) who figured out how to unlock the carrier on the iPhone said that while it works, it takes a couple of hours to do, so I guess it isn't for the faint of heart. Now it's just a matter of time before China starts importing a slew and releases them on eBay at a fat profit (maybe, I know the iPhone is overly expensive as it is, can't imagine how much this will add to their charges).
Advert
Old 08-26-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Actually made the public paper over here, kinda exciting to hear. Apparently the guy (a 17 y.o. kid!) who figured out how to unlock the carrier on the iPhone said that while it works, it takes a couple of hours to do, so I guess it isn't for the faint of heart. Now it's just a matter of time before China starts importing a slew and releases them on eBay at a fat profit (maybe, I know the iPhone is overly expensive as it is, can't imagine how much this will add to their charges).
My understanding of the way that expensive devices such as these are funded is that they are sold at an artificially low price, because the "real" cost is then recouped via the phone contract. It's surely in nobody's interest to have a phone "cracked" like this - the inevitable consequence is going to be higher prices for the consumer. It beats me why someone would even try to do something like this - whom does this person think he's benefitting?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Go read the article. The 6 guys who demoed it for Engadget wrote a software hack. It takes less than 5 minute to do it.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Wasn't there a Chinese knock-off already? The tPhone which was unlocked?
Advert
Old 08-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's surely in nobody's interest to have a phone "cracked" like this - the inevitable consequence is going to be higher prices for the consumer. It beats me why someone would even try to do something like this - whom does this person think he's benefitting?
I'm not disputing the notion, I haven't really considered it, honestly, but if, as you suggest, HarryT, there is no benefit, then I should think that the hacked/cracked/whatever iPhones won't actually sell to anyone. They'll just go down as evidence that someone was clever, and that'll be the end of it.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry - you misunderstand me. I mean "no benefit to anyone in the long term". Obviously this will permit people to use an iPhone at much lower rates on other network, but at the expense of Apple probably making a loss on that device because they aren't getting the revenue from the phone contract. People who buy an iPhone know that much of the real "cost" of that phone is paid in the phone contract. I don't know if it's illegal, but it's certainly immoral (IMHO) to take a highly-subsidised device and then "avoid" paying the real cost of it by using it on a different network.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the iPhone subsidized then? I didn't think it was in the first place, and wouldn't they have to sign a contract to get the subsidized price regardless?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I understand that you do have to sign a two-year contract with AT&T in order to buy an iPhone. I don't know if that can be cancelled or not. I'm sure the price must be subsidized - the iPhone costs what? $499 or something like that? Compare that to the price of contract-free "hi-tech" phones - they often cost $800+. They are generally significantly subsidized by the phone operator.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yeah, phones usually are significantly subsidized, but I thought I'd seen something (possibly erroneous) about the iPhone not being subsidized -- it stuck in my memory precisely because it was unusual.

Generally those contracts can be canceled, but you have to pay a cancellation fee/penalty, and I think you have to repay any subsidies (there I could be totally wrong, as I haven't fully read one of those contracts in a really long time )
Old 08-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't know either - I'm just speculating, as usual .
Old 08-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
According to Ars (a well respected tech news website), it is not subsidized. link

I am personally against vendor lock in. To my knowledge (and in my limited experience), PDA phones especially are only subsidized when purchasing a contract. When I bought my current phone, I was in the middle of my contract. I ended up paying ~$700 for it. I believe that especially in this case, I should be able to take my phone to whatever network supports the technology it uses. If I like the device, but not the carrier, why should I have to give up my phone (or buy another one)?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
It is not subsidized. However, Apple gets a cut of every activation and every monthly bill. So, Apple stands to lose money as well as AT&T if the phone is unlocked.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:38 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I am personally against vendor lock in. To my knowledge (and in my limited experience), PDA phones especially are only subsidized when purchasing a contract. When I bought my current phone, I was in the middle of my contract. I ended up paying ~$700 for it. I believe that especially in this case, I should be able to take my phone to whatever network supports the technology it uses. If I like the device, but not the carrier, why should I have to give up my phone (or buy another one)?
I agree with you, Adam, but what I always do (which I believe is the right thing to do) is buy an "unlocked" phone independently of the contract. That gives you complete freedom to go to anyprovider you wish, at the expense (obviously) of paying significantly more for the phone in the first place.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Except in the case of the iPhone, you're paying full price for it in the first place, and there isn't an "official" unlocked version available.

When I bought our Trēos last spring, I signed up for the 2 year contract and took the discount. If I wish to change providers when the contract is up (which I probably won't, I'm pretty happy with Cingular/AT&T), I'll just use one of the web services that unlocks phones for $30~40. My understanding is that law here in the U.S. (may vary by state) requires providers to unlock phones upon request once the contract expires, though they are allowed to put prerequisites on that (payments up to date, a fee, etc.). I figure it's easier and possibly cheaper to just go with the service. And I feel no qualms about that. I won't have done anything, and I'll have fulfilled the original agreement completely. They'll keep my business so long as they continue to treat me well, which is as it should be.

I'm not sure why they bother with locking them any more, frankly: you're already bound by the contract, and if you decide to ditch them at the end, you get to take your number with you, and you can get a free phone for signing up with the next guy. As more and more folks figure out they can unlock the things, it'll get increasingly pointless. Maybe they'll give it up eventually.