Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How tech savy are forum members
PC, what's a PC 2 1.52%
Use PCs frequently but I often leave the complicated stuff to the help desk 9 6.82%
I can run my own PC 30 22.73%
Ipconfig/all is part of my vocabulary 23 17.42%
Give me fifteen minutes with all of the hardware and software I need and I can build a working PC 45 34.09%
I am a subject matter expert 20 15.15%
None of the above 3 2.27%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Tech Savy

Another mobile read forum member brought up an interesting point, how tech savy are forum members?

In the real world I am employed as a network administrator so technology is what I do and electronic books are simply a natural extention of what I do already

But how tech savy are the rest of the members?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I know enough to empty my bit-bucket when it gets full.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I've built my last 4 computers.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I am a user interface designer/information architect for the websites of a Fortune 500 consumer goods company. I also do front-end development (html and javascript, which is like programming for kiddies). I'm very tech-savvy but the funny thing is, I dread doing computer maintenance stuff. I don't find it fun. I was so thankful for the Tools plug-in because I *really* did not want to mess with installing Python on my mac. I am also too chicken to flash my Sony reader with custom firmware.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I am a user interface designer/information architect for the websites of a Fortune 500 consumer goods company. I also do front-end development (html and javascript, which is like programming for kiddies). I'm very tech-savvy but the funny thing is, I dread doing computer maintenance stuff. I don't find it fun. I was so thankful for the Tools plug-in because I *really* did not want to mess with installing Python on my mac. I am also too chicken to flash my Sony reader with custom firmware.

eP
This is because you love it so much and are afraid it bricks (for us parents of a Sony = gets hurt)

I think that's sweet
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I think I'm fairly tech-savy. I've been building my own pc's since I lived on my own. I do my own OS maintenance, both for my home computer and my work laptop.

I did chose the "Give me fifteen minutes with all of the hardware and software I need and I can build a working PC", though, I doubt it'll only take 15 minutes, installing Windows takes a lot longer these days!

And about flashing my Sony, I don't see any need as I only use the PDF reader anyway

(oh also because they removed the Dutch language and the reason for me to buy the Sony was to help my mother if she had problems, so I could check on my own device what she has to do)

Last edited by Sweetpea; 04-21-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, Poppaea, that's exactly right!

eP
Old 04-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I am a sysadmin, and I program for fun in my spare time.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i don't think i'm very tech savvy, but i do like to tinker as long as i have instructions i can follow :P
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I can usually make my computer do what I tell it to, with a minimum of promised violence...
If it has a GUI I'm good. Command line, code, CSS, regular expressions and the like are beyond me. I'm savvy enough to be able to create and format books, fix typos and cover images on purchased books and work most of the features of Calibre I need to. Tech savvy? Maybe not. Tech I-probably-won't-embarrass-myself-too-badly-if-I-give-it-a-shot? I can live with that.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
20+ years with Intel. Software Evaluation Engineer. But I can hold my own with the hardware side.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
OMG ... jgaiser ... and I liked you!

I built my first computer from a bag of parts (yes, parts as in parts to be soldered to a board) and three conflicting sets of instructions. It was a ZX-81. I've been building computers ever since (and teaching other people to do so). I used to write and sell my own software, and before that I worked as a programmer; now I'm a freelance website designer, doing everything from front-end presentation to back-end code (generally in Perl). I've done occasional general IT consulting, written a biweekly newspaper column about computers, and am somewhat well-known for my saying (usually screamed at someone who says "I can't!") that "it's not aptitude, it's attitude."

Also, I sound a lot more impressive on paper than I really am!

p.s. It's "savvy".
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP
because I *really* did not want to mess with installing Python on my mac.
No need to mess with installing Python on a Mac. If it's not a dinosaur (and it can't be if you're using the latest calibre and plugins)... OS X comes with Python already.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No need to mess with installing Python on a Mac. If it's not a dinosaur (and it can't be if you're using the latest calibre and plugins)... OS X comes with Python already.
Well I guess I'm not that savvy then!

I did, however, put my own fonts on my Sony and I worked out my own custom CSS which I add via Calibre. I think that I would have been less happy with my Sony "out of the box" because I really hate the font that it comes with. OTOH, maybe if I were a less-savvy person, I wouldn't notice what an awful font it is (I used to work in publishing as well).

eP
Old 04-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #15
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
I ticked the "Give me fifteen minutes.."
I've built 6 or 7 own desktops. I run/manage 4 websites (php/MySQL/XML) and are responsible for "all" PC's in my near family.

Also, I'm a gadget freak; having had (and solely use) HP RPN calulators since 1992, set up my own data network including integrating my audio/video system. I'm "sysadmin" at work (on a ship) and for my family. Including remote help/maintenance of family systems.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote