Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
jrollins
jrollins began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Need help with upgrading

I need with Calibre, I have 0.753 and have been trying to update with 0.7.56. I'm no expert but i have been unable to update and I have downloaded several times just like all the other updates and there's been no change. I love the program but Ive hit a wall and you guys sure dont make it easy...

Also why dont you have a simple email under 'contact' or 'help'; i have to join a forum just to ask aquestion?
jrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
Post split away from a development thread that has nothing to do with the question
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollins View Post
I need with Calibre, I have 0.753 and have been trying to update with 0.7.56. I'm no expert but i have been unable to update and I have downloaded several times just like all the other updates and there's been no change.
You have to be more specific,

What OS do you use?
What happens during the install of 0.7.56?
Does the install complete with launch calibre option shown at the finish?

Quote:
I love the program but Ive hit a wall and you guys sure dont make it easy...
How do you feel we aren't making it easy? Did you click the help button?

Quote:
Also why dont you have a simple email under 'contact' or 'help'; i have to join a forum just to ask a question?
Email is very inefficient for open source community support. Using a forum allows on question to be seen by folks and thus makes for a very efficient support mechanism. For actual bugs there is a formal method to submit them via the wiki. Find out how to report a bug here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Also why dont you have a simple email under 'contact' or 'help'; i have to join a forum just to ask aquestion?
It might be, because this is Open Source software, with developers located all around the Globe?
Do you want to call the UK? Germany? Australia?

To your base question: Upgrade.
Calibre must be fully closed/shut down (no tray Icon present).
Your Anti-Virus package may be blocking proper installation. Temporarily suspend it (Warning: use only distributions referenced from the official Calibre site.)

You failed to mention Which OS you were trying the install on (Each has it's quirks )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
jrollins

Hi dwanthny, thanks for trying to help. I have windos 7 as an OS. I have never had a problem with any of the previous downloads.

when i try to install the latest version, i get as far as Calibre setup with 3 options ;

Change

repair

Remove

intead just going foward with the intallation. I am not a technical guy I like the software and im nto sure what (if anything ) im doing wrong. I get a message saying ' a network error occurred while attempting to read from this file
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi dwanthny, thanks for trying to help. I have windos 7 as an OS. I have never had a problem with any of the previous downloads.

when i try to install the latest version, i get as far as Calibre setup with 3 options ;

Change

repair

Remove

intead just going foward with the intallation. I am not a technical guy I like the software and im nto sure what (if anything ) im doing wrong. I get a message saying ' a network error occurred while attempting to read from this file
I am not a W7 type (XP yes)
Network error? are you installing to a Network Drive (mount) instad of a Local Drive?

From the Control Panel, Add/Remove Remove Calibre (your Library is left alone. Just remember where you left it for the install).

After the remove completes. Locate the Calibre2 folder (it is in Program files on XP) and delete the folder .

Just for Grins reboot.

Now try the install of Calibre with the MSI file on a Local Drive.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
jrollins

what will happen to all the books Ive already put in ?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
what will happen to all the books Ive already put in ?
Your Library is left alone
Calibre should find it's location from user settings on the next install,
But that is why I reccomend knowing the Location. Just in case you have to help it along.
The name of the folder that contains 'metadata.db' is the folder name you should remember.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Change

repair

Remove
These option are normally only offered if Windows thinks you are trying to install the same version as is already installed

I would recommend wht others have. Remove this release and then re-install afresh. Neither your existing settings or your current library get affected by the uninstall/install process.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
jrollins

Hey Dwanthy and theducks thanks for the help i uninstalled and reinstalled and it worked great! Didn't lose any of my books either.

Thanks for your help and paitence with non technical Calibre user