Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
emt
Nameless Being

With Some Trepidation...

I installed this ROM from XDA - Developers * [ROM][ZIP] Nookie Comb 0.4.2!!! (Froyo-based) Updated 4/2/2011 *(I used the non-overclocked one)
and the installation (following EXACT instructions went off without a hitch.

It is arguably the best software that I have seen for our Nook Colors because:

The Nook becomes lightning-fast even without overclocking.
We can now run Flash!!!!!
It incorporates the best-of-the-best software.

I had purchased a Xoom but returned it fora number of reasons (primarily because it was rushed to market before it was ready) - my Nook with the Froyo installed is, IMHO, far better (and the price cannot be beat)

I can not recommend this enough - thanks to the awesome work of Mikegonz over on XDA we can now have a tablet that is an IPad killer.

Any questions, please post and I will try to answer them.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
How's your wifi working?
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Very nice!

I'm thinking at this point however if anybody is going to go through the hoops of installing a new OS to the nook. I would recommend going for CM7 (Gingerbread 2.3) over Froyo.

There was a time, about a month ago, when nookie was more stable than CM7. However CM7 now is just as stable but has the benfits of hardware acceleration(video), Googles Gingerbread optimizations, Bluetooth and Tablet(nook) like features added to it.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakdaleMike View Post
How's your wifi working?
WiFi works just like before - no issues.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post

I had purchased a Xoom but returned it for a number of reasons (primarily because it was rushed to market before it was ready) - my Nook with the Froyo installed is, IMHO, far better (and the price cannot be beat)

we can now have a tablet that is an IPad killer.
Ok, the nook color is a great device but let's not get crazy. Not an ipad or Xoom killer...
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Ok, the nook color is a great device but let's not get crazy. Not an ipad or Xoom killer...
Leaving aside the screen size for a moment, can you name something that the IPad can do that a well-rooted Nook can't? I can name several that we can do with a rooted Nook starting with SD Card/USB storage. The displays are the same kind of IPS with about the same resolution so you're paying roughly double for some extra screen area (and also the Apple tax). Oh, did I mention Flash 10.2?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Leaving aside the screen size for a moment, can you name something that the IPad can do that a well-rooted Nook can't? I can name several that we can do with a rooted Nook starting with SD Card/USB storage. The displays are the same kind of IPS with about the same resolution so you're paying roughly double for some extra screen area (and also the Apple tax). Oh, did I mention Flash 10.2?
Before we go through all of this, I had a nook color since launch day (just sold it last week) and I was one of the first people on this forum to hack it.

Check some of my older posts; I am very familiar with the nook color.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Before we go through all of this, I had a nook color since launch day (just sold it last week) and I was one of the first people on this forum to hack it.

Check some of my older posts; I am very familiar with the nook color.
That's not an answer, really. I, too, am interested in what you have to say about it. But you can't expect at least two people to go searching all your posts for something that you may have said at some point in the past that may or may not be relevant to what you said yesterday.

Perhaps you can flag the appropriate posts instead?
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
That's not an answer, really. I, too, am interested in what you have to say about it. But you can't expect at least two people to go searching all your posts for something that you may have said at some point in the past that may or may not be relevant to what you said yesterday.

Perhaps you can flag the appropriate posts instead?
Well, the thing is that I don't think having the "mine is better than yours" argument is very worthwhile. I don't expect people to search my old posts. I think each device has unique strengths and weaknesses. I'm not going to say anything bad about the nook color because I loved owning it. I had to sell it to buy a device with a bigger screen (due to a research project I'm working on for my job).

Actually, I have nothing but positive things to say about the nook color. For months I posted here talking about different apps, hacks, tweaks, fixes, etc.

The short answer to the question is that the nook color is not an ipad or Xoom (let's not just focus on Apple) killer because they are not the same type of device. One is a 7" ereader that can be hacked into a tablet. The others are large screen tablets that do not require hacking.

The nook color can not "kill" the other devices because screen size changes the class of the device. Perhaps you can compare the nook color to the Archos 70, Blackberry Playbook, and Samsung Galaxy Tab. For the money I think it offers more bang for the buck than those devices (that's why I bought it and hacked it). It is also the absolute best color ereader (Devices like the pandigital novel and Pocketbook IQ don't even come close).

Again, no device is perfect, and they each fit a unique need for the individual user. I needed a larger screen, and I also wanted a device with a 4:3 aspect ratio. The ipad 2 fills both those needs, and the nook color didn't. I also like the screen better on the ipad because the colors are more vibrant and it is more responsive. Also, the build quality is slightly better. In addition, the two cameras are fun. Lastly, being able to use my Netflix account on the ipad is nice. To be clear, I owned and enjoyed both devices, so I have no reason to be biased. So, those are the things that the ipad can do that the nook color can't. By the same token, the nook color runs android and can do flash. It also has expandable memory. These are great features, but in the end they aren't as important to me as what the ipad offers. I have 32gb of storage on the ipad 2, so I personally don't need any more. Also, most of the sites that I visit frequently are ipad friendly, and the ones that aren't work fine using Skyfire, so flash isn't that big of a deal.

If we want to have a spirited debate comparing tablets, that's cool. I think it is fun to do so as long as it is not mean spirited. For the most part, Mobileread is a very nice community. However, we shouldn't try to compare Apples (pun intended) to oranges. A better debate would be the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 vs. ipad 2 vs. Xoom vs. eee Transformer vs. HP Web OS tablet. Those devices at least all fall into the same category. Just my two cents.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
emt
Nameless Being

"Well, the thing is that I don't think having the "mine is better than yours" argument is very worthwhile".

Agreed - I am not interested in a flame war - both tablets have their place.

On balance, for what you pay for it, the Nook Color is a fabulous bargain and IMHO head and shoulders above the cheap tabs coming from China. I also had an IPad (now sold) and I'm waiting to get my hands on an IPad 2 (particularly for the bluetooth). I also had a Xoom (very briefly - the lack of memory expansion via SD and the overpriced crappiness of the accessories made me return it) and still think the Nook is a great bargain

If only the Nook had bluetooth - do any of you think it's possible?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
dschoemaker
Reading Fool
dschoemaker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, 2x Nook Color, NST, IPad 1 & 3
There is bluetooth capability already built into the NC. Some folks at XDA have a fine discussion going on getting it hacked. Try a google search with "bluetooth and Nook Color" and you'll find some information on it. Not ready for prime itme yet.
dschoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Quote:
If only the Nook had bluetooth - do any of you think it's possible?
Bluetooth is working in the nightly builds of CyanogenMod 7 for the NC. The only problem is range; at the moment it's pretty low (1-3 feet). Check xda-developers.com for details.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote