|03-17-2011, 05:15 PM||#1|
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
will NY Times paywall kill the Calibre feed?
I just got this email (pasted below) from the NY Times, announcing details of their new paywall. Will the "20 free articles per month" cap kill the daily Calibre feed that I love so dearly?
Dear New York Times Reader,
Today marks a significant transition for The New York Times as we introduce digital subscriptions. It’s an important step that we hope you will see as an investment in The Times, one that will strengthen our ability to provide high-quality journalism to readers around the world and on any platform. The change will primarily affect those who are heavy consumers of the content on our Web site and on mobile applications.
This change comes in two stages. Today, we are rolling out digital subscriptions to our readers in Canada, which will enable us to fine-tune the customer experience before our global launch. On March 28, we will begin offering digital subscriptions in the U.S. and the rest of the world.
If you are a home delivery subscriber of The New York Times, you will continue to have full and free access to our news, information, opinion and the rest of our rich offerings on your computer, smartphone and tablet. International Herald Tribune subscribers will also receive free access to NYTimes.com.
If you are not a home delivery subscriber, you will have free access up to a defined reading limit. If you exceed that limit, you will be asked to become a digital subscriber.
This is how it will work, and what it means for you:
* On NYTimes.com, you can view 20 articles each month at no charge (including slide shows, videos and other features). After 20 articles, we will ask you to become a digital subscriber, with full access to our site.
* On our smartphone and tablet apps, the Top News section will remain free of charge. For access to all other sections within the apps, we will ask you to become a digital subscriber.
* The Times is offering three digital subscription packages that allow you to choose from a variety of devices (computer, smartphone, tablet). More information about these plans is available at nytimes.com/access.
* Again, all New York Times home delivery subscribers will receive free access to NYTimes.com and to all content on our apps. If you are a home delivery subscriber, go to homedelivery.nytimes.com to sign up for free access.
* Readers who come to Times articles through links from search, blogs and social media like Facebook and Twitter will be able to read those articles, even if they have reached their monthly reading limit. For some search engines, users will have a daily limit of free links to Times articles.
* The home page at NYTimes.com and all section fronts will remain free to browse for all users at all times.
For more information, go to nytimes.com/digitalfaq.
Thank you for reading The New York Times, in all its forms.
Arthur Sulzberger Jr.
Arthur Sulzberger Jr.
Publisher, The New York Times
Chairman, The New York Times Company
|03-17-2011, 05:56 PM||#2|
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada City, Soviet Canuckistan
Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
|03-17-2011, 07:04 PM||#3|
creator of calibre
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
You may have to subscribe to the NY times. If you do and enter the correct account information in calibre, the download should continue to work as before, see for example the wall street journal recipe in calibre which is subscription based.
|04-03-2011, 10:16 AM||#5|
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: Kindle 3
So far the paywall is completely ineffective. Their efforts to date have no effect on a calibre download, and can be easily circumvented when reading from any browser with a few clicks of a mouse. I won't describe the method(s) here, but a simple Google search will show them.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Adding a feed to the built-in NY Times recipe||t0s||Recipes||3||03-03-2011 11:26 AM|
|Calibre news feed question||winterescape||Recipes||5||01-30-2011 08:52 AM|
|Can I Kill Collection Creation in Calibre?||rhadin||Calibre||8||01-22-2011 02:34 PM|
|The Times will add Paywall in June||Nate the great||News||47||03-30-2010 10:51 AM|
|calibre 0.6.20 won't complete NY Times news feed||Zapped||Calibre||9||11-13-2009 10:41 AM|