Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
rias
rias is on a distinguished road

Device: PB 903
PB 903 Question

Hi Experts,

I bought this week the PB 903, which is really an excellent device . One of the important reasons why I ordered this reader was to read news paper in the web, it looks fine except the issue of displaying Arabic Web Pages:

Arabic alphabets appear in the right order (from right to left) BUT letters are separated!!

I am attaching 2 screenshots of a web page (Arabic BBC) and how it appears on the BP reader and same page on my iPhone

Even tried to change the language of the device from English to Arabic did not solve the issue
Can you please advise what I can do in order to get Arabic HTML pages displayed correctly?

PS: I have seen there is an option in the web browser under encoding to select "Custom" Is there a way to add manually any files there which would help
to read Arabic properly?

The device firmware version is: D903.2.0.420110106_160908
I checked the date of the SWUPDATE.BIN file in the root directory: Last Modified 20. ‎January ‎2011, ‏‎18:32:00, which seems to be the latest one ?

I really appreciate your help

Many thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arabic_BBC on the BP_903.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	67793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arabic_BBC on the iPhone.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	67794  
rias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Is Arabic displayed correctly in ebooks?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
rias

All PDF files (converted from Arabic docs) can be displayed correctly. I tried to convert an arabic PDF to epub using a shareware, it seems to work.
And the device itself it does support Arabic, so you can change the language of the menus to Arabic, all the system messages are displayed in correct Arabic. Even the file names of the books is presented in the library correctly.

I added additional Arabic fonts to the fonts directory, but I can not see them within the webbrowser (I can select them for the system menus)
Is there a way to tell/force the browser to use a particular font?

Many thanks for the help, really appreciated!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
doublezed
doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Leggo IBS - a.k.a. PocketBook 603
Hi Rias,
Midori uses another system to render fonts that pass through DirectFB. Just to give it a try and see your additional fonts into the browser do as follow:

1. Connect the 903 to the PC
2. Copy the attached fonts.conf in the main folder of the PB903
3. copy the attached browser.app in the /applications folder
4. copy all your additional fonts in /system/fonts

Remove the PB903 from the pc and power it up. Go into "Applications" and start the "Browser.app". Test to see if your additional fonts are visible inside midori.

Let us know if it worked! Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: zip arabic_fonts.zip (2.4 KB, 232 views)
doublezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
rias

Thanks doublezed!

I tried your steps, but the new "Browser.app" will not start. The screen just goes back for a second.

FYI: I already have the "webbrowser-enhanced.app" which I am using because it changes the resolution to the better size "mode=828x1200" . Additionally there is the default webbrowser.app

So I tried and switched device off and on but can not get the new browser.app running

Another note: I currently don't have SD card inserted in the PB 903 device (need to buy one soon) Could this have an issue with starting the app?

I am attaching the one I have "webbrowser-enhanced.app" which I am using now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip webbrowser-enhanced.zip (627 Bytes, 296 views)
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 03:21 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rias View Post
Another note: I currently don't have SD card inserted in the PB 903 device (need to buy one soon) Could this have an issue with starting the app?
I do not think it could be that, as I have no cards and review's webbrowser works perfectly well (I am on the December version of 2.0.4, tough)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
rias

Thanks!
I updated yesterday to the latest firmware, now the PB 903 has: D903.2.0.4 20110120_182526

Still having same behavior and can not start the new "Browser.app".
Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
doublezed
doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Thanks doublezed!

I tried your steps, but the new "Browser.app" will not start. The screen just goes back for a second.

FYI: I already have the "webbrowser-enhanced.app" which I am using because it changes the resolution to the better size "mode=828x1200" . Additionally there is the default webbrowser.app

So I tried and switched device off and on but can not get the new browser.app running

I am attaching the one I have "webbrowser-enhanced.app" which I am using now.
Ops... sorry Rias, i misread your model and sent you the browser.app for my PB603 that will not work on your device.
I modified your webbrowser-enhanced to use another fontconfig file. In the attached zip file you will find the fonts.conf file that you have to copy in the main folder of the PB903. I renamed the webbrowser-enhanced in webbrowser-enhanced_arabic-test.app so you have not to overwrite the one that is working for you.
I supposed all your added fonts are in /system/fonts. If not so please copy them there.

I'm sorry but i have to ask you to test this file by your own but i have no PB903 device to test on

Give it a try and let us know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip webbrowser-enhanced_arabic.zip (2.4 KB, 218 views)
Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
rias

Many Thanks!

My quick update: I tried the new "webbrowser-enhanced_arabic-test.app" and got strange encrypted error, when I clicked "ignore" the browser opened for a a few seconds with a strange GUI and was closed afterwords

Now even my original "webbrowser-enhanced.app" starts with an error message which I can ignore and continue working with the browser
I attached related screens,

Thanks for the help again!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	error_with new_browser_test_app  .JPG
Views:	351
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	67846   Click image for larger version

Name:	error_with new_old_browser_test_app .JPG
Views:	349
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	67847   Click image for larger version

Name:	GUI of webbrowser-enhanced_arabic-test .JPG
Views:	322
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	67848  
Old 03-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
rias

Good news!! I got now the browser and I can select additional fonts in the browser and Arabic displaying is correct!!!
I am still testing the menu where you can select the fonts in the browser (fixed size font, default font family) I need to know how they affect the behavior. As now the menu text in the browser (menu, back, refresh, stop,...) appear too small.

I will give you another update later, Big Thanks again to doublezed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Arabic_BBN_in _new_browser.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	67857  
Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
doublezed

Quote:
Good news!! I got now the browser and I can select additional fonts in the browser and Arabic displaying is correct!!!
I am still testing the menu where you can select the fonts in the browser (fixed size font, default font family) I need to know how they affect the behavior. As now the menu text in the browser (menu, back, refresh, stop,...) appear too small.

I will give you another update later, Big Thanks again to doublezed
I'm really happy for you Enjoy!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #12
atango
Enthusiast
atango began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 902pro
Hi doublezed,
your tip worked for Korean webpage, too. I now can use Korean fonts I saved in the system/fonts directory.
Thanks!

Last edited by atango; 03-07-2011 at 04:27 AM.
atango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #13
doublezed

Quote:
Originally Posted by atango View Post
Hi doublezed,
your tip worked for Korean webpage, too. I now can use Korean fonts I save in the system/fonts directory.
Thanks!
GREAT! It's a good news!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
rias

Hi all

After many tests with different fonts I can confirm that the workaround by doublezed really fixed the issue with displaying Arabic web pages. Again my thanks for the great help.

On the other hand I am facing similar issue with the fbreader:
I tried all possible options/settings available with different fonts for the fbreader in order to get Arabic ebook (mainly epub but same for html, doc,...) displayed correctly, but unfortunately without success

FBreader does show Arabic letters from right to left but the letters are separated (not rendered)

I am attaching a sample Arabic book which I tried. Any idea? It is really strange as the fbreader offers the option for Unicode, but doesn't complete the job correctly,

Many thanks in advance for any help
Attached Files
File Type: epub FamilyTalkArt.epub (160.1 KB, 233 views)
Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
rias

a quick comment to my last post: I noticed that table of content (TOC) of any Arabic epub book are always displayed correctly in fbreader.