Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
Ruth_M
Ruth_M began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition 950
Why aren't there cases available?

I finally purchased a Sony 950, opting for the ability to borrow library e-books and the eInk screen. I'm pleased so far, but am baffled by the inability to find a cover. Sony isn't selling them any more on their site. Does this mean they are doing away with the model? I recognize that many more nooks and kindles are being sold, but surely there is money to be made selling cases for the Sony 950? I've read the posts on Sony 950 case options on the site, but most are from 2010 and either they aren't available any more (BookArmor, Sony cases) or they involve compromises on fit/usage. The Sony site says the Manhattan Sony store carries the case, so I will try to head over there, but the lack of options is both baffling and worrisome to me. Does anyone have an explanation? Or suggestions?
Ruth_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
dreadcptflint
Enthusiast
dreadcptflint began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
I received my cover from BookArmor last month.
Try http://www.extremeinkjet.com/BookArm...okarmor950.htm .
dreadcptflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
jplain
jplain began at the beginning.

Device: none
This case fits the 950 perfectly: BoxWave Ruby Patent Leather Vertical Flip Kindle (2nd generation) Case. But at under $15, you probably won't be surprised to hear that it is not real leather.
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
bubbasmom747
bubbasmom747 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs950
Smile cases for the prs950

I finally found a case at the Sony store on Madison Ave.
They had to dig in a cabinet to find the one I purchased, I
am not sure which one you are looking for. I got the one with the light.
bubbasmom747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
Ruth_M
Ruth_M began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadcptflint View Post
I received my cover from BookArmor last month.
Try http://www.extremeinkjet.com/BookArm...okarmor950.htm .
They are out of stock now.
I bought the Sony zip case today from Adorama, but it's just to protect it when you throw it in your bag. You can't read while it's in the case.

The Box Wave Kindle2 case looks interesting, and I may follow up, but it still makes me wonder why Sony is doing so little to both promote the 950 and provide accessories for it. Bubbasmom747's experience is symptomatic.

I saw one reference on this site to a possible new model coming soon, is there any more news on that?
Ruth_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
dreadcptflint
Enthusiast
dreadcptflint began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
BookArmor is in stock in Amazon. I went for that one because it is the toughest one that I could find and I have a four year old who loves electronics.

As for what Sony is doing or not doing, it does not matter. I learned a long time ago, to never confuse good marketing with a good product. Yes, they could be doing a whole lot more. There is a dozen little tweeks that could be done to crush Kindle and even bring in more customers. I still think that it is the best reader on the market.
dreadcptflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
here a 2 cases for the 950 from vendors on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sony-PRS-950...item43a5540351

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PRS-950-Dai...item27b93030e0

I currently have the BookArmor case that is just great! Hopefully it will come back in stock for others to enjoy.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
gwbuffalo
eInk Junkie
gwbuffalo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
I have seen this "No Longer Available" thing from Sony many times before with regard to their digital cameras and accessories. They are either switching to a new model (to improve or correct the old model), or changing manufacturing locations (usually to save costs). With regard to the missing covers, it's probably the former because the cases are already made in China.

I cannot see them getting completely away from making covers (at least I hope not). I think they are good sellers, and they fit perfectly, including the nice "magnetic catch" feature on the front and back to hold against the reader (a nice touch). I usually buy aftermarket cases and covers to save money, but the Sony ones word nicely for me.

I do wish they would up the quality on the 950 covers to match the quality of the premium leather cover they sold for the 505. Now that was a nice cover!
gwbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
posted this elsewhere, I'll share here

Cover for prs950

I bought the sony cover with the light but within a month one of the pins broke.

My wife who owns the Nook Color told me, in her ignorance, to try the cover for the Color Nook since the two of them looked the same size...

Two months later the leather cover is still on my 950, the book fits within the clips perfect and is held in place as good as a nook, none of the controls are hidden.

Best feels to a cover I have had.
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Aurora W
Addict
Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950, iPad, Nexus 7
Thank you - I've been trying to find a more durable cover for my 950 (am currently using a slip cover). Will have to see if I can locate a Nook cover next time I'm out shopping.
Aurora W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am using the Oberon Kindle 2 cover with my 950 and love it! Here is a link to a review and some photos. Others have reported that the Oberon NOOKcolor cover works with the 950 too.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107167
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
950, case, cases, sony 950