Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
krikket
krikket began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3.0
Unable to convert ebooks

I'm having a bit of a problem with converting ebooks from one format to another using Calibre on my LMDE (Linux Mint Debian) system, and am wondering of people might be able to help me out figure what's going on here.

I click on the book, and start the conversion process (doesn't matter which format you start/end with, I'm getting this result across the board). The Calibre software then stops responding. The OS runs okay, and if I go off to do something else, it works fine. But there appears to be a bug in the Calibre software. Or maybe it's dependent on a package that's not listed, or...

I dunno. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Krikket
krikket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You didn't mention the version of Calibre you were using, or how you installed it. Uninstall/avoid whatever Calibre package that was provided with LMDE and go to Calibre's web-site and download the latest linux installer. www.calibre-ebook.com
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikket View Post

I'm having a bit of a problem with converting ebooks from one format to another using Calibre on my LMDE (Linux Mint Debian) system, and am wondering of people might be able to help me out figure what's going on here.

I click on the book, and start the conversion process (doesn't matter which format you start/end with, I'm getting this result across the board). The Calibre software then stops responding. The OS runs okay, and if I go off to do something else, it works fine. But there appears to be a bug in the Calibre software. Or maybe it's dependent on a package that's not listed, or...

I dunno. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Krikket
Be sure to use the command line shown on the Linux download page 7.47 is current
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:11 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Does Calibre completely stop responding, or does it just sit there and work on the conversion while you can do other stuff with it?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
krikket
krikket began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3.0
Folks, that did it! I was running 0.7.44... Now to see if that fixes my other minor problem...
krikket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I have a large epub (1600 pages, but all text) that won't convert to mobi. Calibre just keeps on trying. I have left it for an hour, and it still says converting. At this point, I have to go into task manager to stop Calibre.

Any suggestions?
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I have a large epub (1600 pages, but all text) that won't convert to mobi. Calibre just keeps on trying. I have left it for an hour, and it still says converting. At this point, I have to go into task manager to stop Calibre.

Any suggestions?
Don't go killing Calibre. Just let it run. Some conversions, in particular those of large books, can take up to 24 hours (at least, that's what I personally have seen). As long as there is no error message, Calibre is still working.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@montalex
You did it half-right

You went to the Task-manager:
To see if it was still running and using cycles

I have not had a monster 24 hr run. A couple of high 6's. Yup! Since the TM said Calibre workers were still crunching away, I let it run.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Don't go killing Calibre. Just let it run. Some conversions, in particular those of large books, can take up to 24 hours (at least, that's what I personally have seen). As long as there is no error message, Calibre is still working.
Thanks for the reply. I solved my problem by changing the table of contents settings. I guess that poor Calibre was trying to detect chapters, etc., in a book with an very complex structure.

It took an hour, and gave excellents results!

I love Calibre!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

Well, whatever works. The advice is still valid, though- unless you get an error message, it's still working
Old 03-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Well, whatever works. The advice is still valid, though- unless you get an error message, it's still working
Yes, thanks for your help Manichean. I had thought that something was hung up, but I'll just let it go next time. Calibre conversion totally maxes the cpu on my old Pentium IV machine, so I guess that I'll have to leave it running when I go to bed if I have a big book to convert.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, thanks for your help Manichean. I had thought that something was hung up, but I'll just let it go next time. Calibre conversion totally maxes the cpu on my old Pentium IV machine, so I guess that I'll have to leave it running when I go to bed if I have a big book to convert.
That's what I do- I have a similar machine.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Calibre conversion totally maxes the cpu on my old Pentium IV machine, so I guess that I'll have to leave it running when I go to bed if I have a big book to convert.
If you are using Windows OS, go to Preferences - Behavior and change job priority from Normal to Low and your computer will remain responsive during conversions.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote