Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
silverdezz
silverdezz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Chapters option after convert pdf or lit into epub

Hi, I am a newbie when it comes to kobo. So far, i really like my kobo. It's nice and straightfoward (and so far with no problem...)

I wonder do anyone else have this problem when they try to read the books they converted from calibre. I converted books of pdf or lit to epub but can't seem to the "chapters" option when I read on kobo

What I mean by chapter option is that if I read epub version book (one that I didn't convert from lit/pdf), I am allowed to use the table of content on kobo and actually skip chapters. For example, if i want to start reading at chapter 7, I can click on chapter 7 on table of content instead of clicking pages after pages (from chapter 1) to reach chapter 7. This option is pretty handy when you want to start in the middle of the story.

Do you know how I can fix this problem?

thx for your help
silverdezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I had a TOC problem and fixed it in a kind of round-about way. I had converted a PDF to ePub using Calibre. This produced a nicely readable file, but the table of contents didn't work. I'm not sure if there was something in Calibre I could do.

But I happened to be reading a thread on this forum where someone said Mobipocket Creator got them a good TOC (different PDF but it was worth a shot). I already had Mobireader on my computer, so installed Mobipocket Creator (selecting "for publishers", or whatever the advanced version is).

I imported the PDF to Mobipocket Creator, looked at the html file with a text editor, saw that <h1> tag was the chapter heading tag, specified that, and published the .prc file. Then used Calibre to convert the .prc to ePub. This gave me a working Table of Contents.

I'm not saying it's the best way, or that it will work for any other PDF, but it worked for me for this file. I don't know if you need Mobireader first or not but I happened to have it. All these tools are free, so it only cost me time to try it out.

Last edited by dmacmart; 02-27-2011 at 05:19 AM. Reason: typo
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Irunsjh
Irunsjh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I use two different softwares to create the TOC for books that have been converted from lit or pdf. The first is Sigil. This application allows you to go into the meat of the newly created epub file and add the proper code to create chapter breaks. All you do is go to the line above the chapter heading and hit CRTL+RETURN. Next I use ePubFixer and open the newly edited epub file and select the create TOC option. From there I select the available chapter breaks created in Sigil. After that you have an epub file with good valid chapter breaks.
Irunsjh is offline   Reply With Quote