Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
how does amazon's free pre-order work?

i tried to pre-order an ebook that was up for free pre-order, but it asked for my credit card information. why is that?

would i get a chance to cancel if the book came out with a fee?

and what /is/ a free pre-order anyway?

thanks
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
About credit card information, I think Amazon ask always for it if you're buying a Kindle book, even if it's free. If it shows free when you pre-order, then Amazon doesn't charge you anything. And a free pre-order means that you will receive the book when it's published and Amazon will charge you nothing even if at that moment it has a bigger price.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Have you set up an account with Amazon? Do that and enable "one-click" and you are good to go. Free ebooks are available to anyone with an Amazon account.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@terisa: i see, thanks! well, they didn't ask for my credit card info when i bought free ebooks from them before. strange D:
Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Have you set up an account with Amazon? Do that and enable "one-click" and you are good to go. Free ebooks are available to anyone with an Amazon account.
yeah, i do. i'll try and set up one-click
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
I have to admit I'm a bit stumped as to what you're referring to when you say "free pre-order".
Do you mean a free book which you pre-ordered (in the sense it hasn't been published yet)?
Otherwise, anyone can pre-order a book, without an additional fee to the actual book price. Evidently before you pre-order or order you need to have set up an account with amazon where you do have to specify a credit card number that will help pay for the book.
And yep, you can cancel the pre-order by going to "Digital orders" on your account.

Hope this helps

EDIT: right, so I'm a slow typer
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
I have to admit I'm a bit stumped as to what you're referring to when you say "free pre-order".
Do you mean a free book which you pre-ordered (in the sense it hasn't been published yet)?
Otherwise, anyone can pre-order a book, without an additional fee to the actual book price. Evidently before you pre-order or order you need to have set up an account with amazon where you do have to specify a credit card number that will help pay for the book.
And yep, you can cancel the pre-order by going to "Digital orders" on your account.

Hope this helps

EDIT: right, so I'm a slow typer
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...19#post1411019

and when i go to the page to pre-order it, it says $0.00
Old 02-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Don0801
Don0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle 3 wi-fi
Now I understand why I was asked to fill out my credit card information when I *pre-ordered* a $0 e-book. I have an account, but I don't have one-click set up (and don't plan to). The funny thing is the order, and the delivery, goes right through when it's an available free e-book.

Yeah, I missed out some pre-order freebies ...
Don0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0801 View Post
Now I understand why I was asked to fill out my credit card information when I *pre-ordered* a $0 e-book. I have an account, but I don't have one-click set up (and don't plan to). The funny thing is the order, and the delivery, goes right through when it's an available free e-book.

Yeah, I missed out some pre-order freebies ...
do they ask you for credit card info when you download free ebooks that are already "published"?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
My experience is books that are free that are already released you don't need a CC on your account but you do with all pre-orders that are free. I have never been charged anything for a free pre-order. I always remove my CC from my account after I am done ordering due to auto buying by accident once when I meant to send myself a free sample.

So the only time I need to enter my Credit Card information is when I do a free-preorder or buy something from there. If the book is free and already published I just click buy now and it's ordered no CC info needed.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My experience is books that are free that are already released you don't need a CC on your account but you do with all pre-orders that are free. I have never been charged anything for a free pre-order. I always remove my CC from my account after I am done ordering due to auto buying by accident once when I meant to send myself a free sample.

So the only time I need to enter my Credit Card information is when I do a free-preorder or buy something from there. If the book is free and already published I just click buy now and it's ordered no CC info needed.
cool, thanks for clearing this up!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
wyndslash
Wizard

No, they don't ask me when I'm getting a free ebook that's already available.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
I'm glad someone has asked about free pre-orders as I have noticed a few lately as well. I like to download my books via my PC then transfer to my Kindle however this option isn't available with the pre-orders. I was contemplating just adding them to a wish-list then checking back at a later date however i'm not sure if they will still be free then so this plan may not work.

Is it common for free pre-orders to remain free once they are available or do they normally convert to having a fee associated with them?
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazir View Post
I'm glad someone has asked about free pre-orders as I have noticed a few lately as well. I like to download my books via my PC then transfer to my Kindle however this option isn't available with the pre-orders. I was contemplating just adding them to a wish-list then checking back at a later date however i'm not sure if they will still be free then so this plan may not work.

Is it common for free pre-orders to remain free once they are available or do they normally convert to having a fee associated with them?
i think someone else said that they are free once available to all who got the free pre-orders, if that makes any sense.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Whether a pre-order remains free depends on who's offering and why.

Pre-orders for "Free with Bonus Material" books which are early on in a series and being promoted to help spike interest in the latest that's being newly released tend to remain free for a short time before they disappear from the catalogue entirely.

Other free pre-orders may or may not stay free, depending on whether they're a time-limited promotion (sometimes, but not always), or just a publisher listing glitch.

Personally, I wouldn't bet on the wait-and-see method for any book that I actually wanted.

But if you pre-ordered it when it said $0.00 and the price goes up later, you still pay just the pre-order "price", aka $0.00.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote