Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
kana
kana began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Help needed with odd setup.

Hi, I am setting up Calibre for my mother.
(who is the only person I know more disorganized than me!)

Unfortunately she has just "Spent Money" on Book Collector 7, so will not give this up, even though it cannot do what she needs in regards to her e-book collection.

The problem is that she really does need Calibre, as she has trouble sometimes getting her e-books onto her reader, and other issues that she has can make it difficult for her.
Book Collector does not have much in the way of e-book support yet, it can link to a file but only to open it on the computer, it cannot send the books to her reader, or any of the many other helpful things Calibre can do for her.

I have already gotten most of her collection listed in Book Collector and she is happy with it as a database of her books for the most part, but dealing with her e-books frustrates her to the point of giving them up altogether.

Book Collector 7 is installed on Win7 and Calibre is on Kubuntu, both on the same computer. (She is dual-booting)
So on the Windows OS she is using Book Collector and on Kubuntu she will be using Calibre.............................

Is there a way to keep a collection synched between Book Collector and Calibre???
Somehow I don't think this will be possible, or workable for her and was wondering if anyone had any advice for what I can do here.

kana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kana View Post
Hi, I am setting up Calibre for my mother.
(who is the only person I know more disorganized than me!)

Unfortunately she has just "Spent Money" on Book Collector 7, so will not give this up, even though it cannot do what she needs in regards to her e-book collection.

The problem is that she really does need Calibre, as she has trouble sometimes getting her e-books onto her reader, and other issues that she has can make it difficult for her.
Book Collector does not have much in the way of e-book support yet, it can link to a file but only to open it on the computer, it cannot send the books to her reader, or any of the many other helpful things Calibre can do for her.

I have already gotten most of her collection listed in Book Collector and she is happy with it as a database of her books for the most part, but dealing with her e-books frustrates her to the point of giving them up altogether.

Book Collector 7 is installed on Win7 and Calibre is on Kubuntu, both on the same computer. (She is dual-booting)
So on the Windows OS she is using Book Collector and on Kubuntu she will be using Calibre.............................

Is there a way to keep a collection synched between Book Collector and Calibre???
Somehow I don't think this will be possible, or workable for her and was wondering if anyone had any advice for what I can do here.

Synchronizing a DB is always an issue across programs (Just ask the Government )

I see 3 choices:
1) ask the program seller for 'support' exporting the DB, Then ditch the program and run Calibre on both boots.
2) Install Book-Collector under Wine on Kubuntu, using the same DB for both boots.
3)Just ditch Book-Collector. ((It's only a $30 program . Ditching a multi-hundred $ program, I could see some serious hesitation )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert