Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Can a Computer Beat the Best Jeopardy! Players?

NEW YORK—The game show "Jeopardy!" will pit man versus machine this winter in a competition that will show how successful scientists are in creating a computer that can mimic human intelligence.

Two of the venerable game show's most successful champions—Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter—will play two games against "Watson," a computer program developed by IBM's artificial intelligence team. The matches will be spread over three days that will air Feb. 14-16, the game show said on Tuesday.

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_16852953

The Nova Program about the building of Watson:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/sm...-on-earth.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Exciting ..however I don't think the computer will win
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know. There have been many many trial runs over the last four years. I have my doubts too, but I also think it's possible.

No one ever thought a computer would be the world chess master either but Deep Blue is. And this is much closer to what I'd call "real" AI.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No one ever thought a computer would be the world chess master either but Deep Blue is. And this is much closer to what I'd call "real" AI.
There's no such thing as real AI, whatever they say. Deep Blue may be a chess master but that only shows that it is a powerful calculator.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
There's no such thing as real AI, whatever they say. Deep Blue may be a chess master but that only shows that it is a powerful calculator.
That just indicates that you do not understand what "real AI" is.

As I said Chess-Playing computers do not really fit the category, though once there were those that thought so.
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That just indicates that you do not understand what "real AI" is.

As I said Chess-Playing computers do not really fit the category, though once there were those that thought so.
So what is "real AI"?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
kennyc

The Turing test.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
The Turing test.
I was so startled by your answer that I looked up what this Jeopardy! thing is about (never heard of it). Now I see.... I don't think a machine can successfully play a game like this.

Last edited by Pablo; 02-11-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
NEW YORK—The game show "Jeopardy!" will pit man versus machine this winter in a competition that will show how successful scientists are in creating a computer that can mimic human intelligence.
Since when is being good at Jeopardy a measure of human intelligence?
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I was so startled by your answer that I looked up what this Jeopardy! thing is about (never heard of it). Now I see.... I don't think a machine can successfully play a game like this.
If you watch that Nova program that is in the link you might begin to think otherwise.

It will be interesting to see. The actual show airs next week.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Since when is being good at Jeopardy a measure of human intelligence?
To play the game requires many things we would consider intelligent behavior. In particular natural language understanding with significant nuances as jeopardy presents. The database search for possible answers is not such an intelligent thing but to determine what the best answer is following that search could be considered intelligent behavior to some extent.

Also the strategies applied in an attempt to win (i.e. beat the other players) the game.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #12
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I sincerely hope the computer will win! To read in the case of his defeat that Jeopardy is a more sophisticated game than chess would break my heart!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I sincerely hope the computer will win! To read in the case of his defeat that Jeopardy is a more sophisticated game than chess would break my heart!
Chess has very specific rules which computers are good at. Language is vastly different.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #14
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
No, that would be the wrong conclusion.

A four year old child cannot beat Kasparov at chess, but Deep Blue can.

You can read a Winnie the Pooh tale to a four year old child and after that he will be able to answer some simple questions about it. But if you give the tale to a computer as powerful as Deep Blue, it will not be able to answer the same questions.

So, is understanding a Winnie the Pooh tale harder than beating Kasparov at chess?

Answer:
No - for a human being
Yes - for a computer
Old 02-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

There was a segment on this on the NPR program Science Friday yesterday.

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundown...wn.php?prgId=5

You can also have a go at this. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ivia-game.html Unfortunately it is not the real Watson It's a less capable version). Also unlike real Jeopardy the computer will not attempt to answer until you either answer wrong or pass on the question. And it only lets you play once.