Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
How DRM becomes law - a look at the back room dealings

Information Week has published an article by Cory Doctorow called "A Behind-The-Scenes Look At How DRM Becomes Law".

"Otto von Bismarck quipped, 'Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made.' I've seen sausages made. I've seen laws made. Both processes are pleasant in comparison to the way anti-copying technology agreements are made."

It is hard to imagine anyone looking rationally at existing copyright and DRM laws, and coming away convinced that they are a complete, rational and effective solution for society. This article helps us understand why, and shows very clearly why there is such a gap between many of the practical, legal and moral/ethical considerations in the DRM debate.

Via DefectiveByDesign.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you put in DRM, then you'll get people cracking the DRM and it'll still get out there. And people who might have gotten their content legally will say "screw the DRM" and get it illegally. More so then if the DRM was not there in the first place.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you put in DRM, then you'll get people cracking the DRM and it'll still get out there. And people who might have gotten their content legally will say "screw the DRM" and get it illegally. More so then if the DRM was not there in the first place.
And here I thought that (If you put in DRM, then you'll get people cracking the DRM) was just a mechanism to help make American youths compete better in the sciences!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3

Gotta keep the little rascals out of trouble somehow.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Locks are meant to keep honest people out or have they forgotten?

They will loose hardware sales (readers that is) just because of that. No one wants to be captive of one device.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
Judems
Judems began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman/Palm z22
Scanner

I am interested in the Plustek Scanner that was written about sometime ago. I wanted to know if it was feasible to buy one of these and gradually put all of my paper books into an e-book format. I read Bob's first part but I haven't seen anything since, perhaps I missed it. Any info would be appreciated. JB
Judems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judems View Post
I am interested in the Plustek Scanner that was written about sometime ago. I wanted to know if it was feasible to buy one of these and gradually put all of my paper books into an e-book format. I read Bob's first part but I haven't seen anything since, perhaps I missed it. Any info would be appreciated. JB
The Plustek Scanner is great, but it's still a lot of work to scan a book. You probably wouldn't want to convert a library of books. If you only have a dozen and are willing to spend some time on them, that's certainly possible. If you were willing to destroy the book, you'll find that a two sided auto feed sheet scanner is probably faster. But it still takes some time to tear/cut apart the book. It might be a while before a simple and really fast book scanner is available at a price that makes it a good choice for converting a library of books without being a complete fanatic.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote