Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
USB wall outlet

In December of 2009 I ordered one of these: http://store.fastmac.com/product_inf...roducts_id=458

It's an outlet you can install in your house, that has USB power ports in addition to the usual AC power outlets we all know and love. I am hoping that this will allow me to charge my reader, my phone, my GPS, or whatever other gadgets I happen to have that charge via USB, by simply plugging the USB plug into the wall. And I won't ever need to plug in a wall wart again, at least at home. This should save a little electricity since those wall warts tend to eat power anytime they're plugged into the wall, even if the device isn't attached. You can tell because they're warm. This outlet is supposed to not have that kind of vampire draw.

Back in 2009 they said they would ship in early 2010, but they never have. Until yesterday, when they charged my credit card. And today I got a ship notification. Hopefully this means I'll be receiving it soon.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by elizilla; 02-09-2011 at 08:25 PM.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
Well, that device looks like it will actually use more electricity then a wall-wart. Since it has to have all the AC/DC voltage conversion circuitry integrated into the wall outlet it has the disadvantage of not being able to be unplugged.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's supposed to detect whether there's anything plugged in, and shut off when there's nothing there. But I'll have to come up with a way to test it. Assuming I really do get one.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
I'd be surprised if it doesn't suffer from the same basic issues that most wallwarts do. There's a cost at bringing down 120v AC to 5v DC, and that cost comes in as inefficient use of power, thus the heat. It might be able to save a little electricity, but I wouldn't expect to see any difference in your power bill. The amount of wattage that we're talking about isn't that significant (as noted above though, unplugging all your power supplies can make a bit of a dent in your bill)

That said, I think these are a great idea. USB is ubiquitous enough that virtually any modern mobile device will charge off of it. It looks like it'll even provide a little more juice than a spec USB port, so that could be useful (to people like me who want to use USB for nefarious purposes)
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
This thread gives me an idea; any entrepreneurs out there who would be willing to take this one on?

A power strip/surge suppressor (or UPS) that has a built in powered USB hub. Obviously the USB hub could be used as a charger/power supply only, or if plugged into a PC or other device with USB host capability, it could function as a hub.

I’d buy a couple of those!

Last edited by wodin; 02-10-2011 at 12:30 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
This thread gives me an idea; any entrepreneurs out there who would be willing to take this one on?

A power strip (or UPS) that has a built in powered USB hub. Obviously the USB hub could be used as a charger/power supply only, or if plugged into a PC or other device with USB host capability, it could function as a hub.

Google and ye shall find - Amazon.com has some .... made by Belkin
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:

A power strip/surge suppressor (or UPS) that has a built in powered USB hub. Obviously the USB hub could be used as a charger/power supply only, or if plugged into a PC or other device with USB host capability, it could function as a hub.

Monster makes em, too.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Thanks Geoff, karma to you.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
I love instructables.com for things like this.

This page shows how to make one yourself in roughly half an hour, for the low cost of roughly 10 bucks.

If I weren't in a rental unit, I'd do one of these in each room.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
elizilla
Addict

I think that every vehicle should have panel mount USB power outlets, so why not have some in my house as well?

I have been installing things like this on my motorcycles for years, so it seems like a very obvious thing to do. I love the elegance of hiding all that stuff behind the wall, or behind a body panel, where I'll never need to mess with it again.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
I saw several variations in the Brennenstuhl catalogue we got a while back. They also had one with 2 standard power outlets and a USB hub that could be connected to the computer. If I recall they have all/most of their products on their website.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Kindle power cord comes with a USB wall adapter - I've been using that to charge all my electronic devices.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
there are also various table lamps available that have a usb port or two in the base of the lamp. comes in very handy because the usb power port is just right there at table level. no bending down to the socket to plug in
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
dmspen
Enthusiast
dmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
My Panamax powerconditioner has a USB port on the front of the unit that works just fine. The unit is part of my home theater in the living room and is very convenient.
dmspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
there are also various table lamps available that have a usb port or two in the base of the lamp. comes in very handy because the usb power port is just right there at table level. no bending down to the socket to plug in
At my age, that becomes more and more important!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote