Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 06-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
MosFet
MosFet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader
Lightbulb Easy way To download E-Books from MobileRead

Hello,

suppose that someone would like to download all the available ebooks from the E-Books section... should he click on the attachment links from all the pages?

Is it posssible to have all the uploaded books subdivided in few bigger archive files? Or to have these in a ftp folder ?

MosFet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosFet View Post
Hello,

suppose that someone would like to download all the available ebooks from the E-Books section... should he click on the attachment links from all the pages?
Yes, that's right.

Quote:
Is it posssible to have all the uploaded books subdivided in few bigger archive files? Or to have these in a ftp folder ?
I think this is relatively unlikely to be offered. Few people would, I suspect, want to download everything!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I plan on downloading all the books. And then deciding which ones I want to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
MosFet
MosFet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I plan on downloading all the books. And then deciding which ones I want to read.
Yes, me too.

I think that the disk space required to download all is not so much...
so it will be more confortable to dowload everything ... and then decide what to read.
MosFet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The main purpose of bundling files for download is that they are compressed to save bandwidth. The Sony LRF files are already compressed and even Harry who provides his books zipped does it for system compatibility rather than size.

Given the great diversity of titles and subjects offered in download at MobileRead, any combination of titles might include a fews that some people would not want to download or read. For example I would most likely have passed on a package of 14 volumes for the Haggard Anthology but easily downloaded the 1st and read it. (I posted very little until I finished all 4 books in it.) Then I downloaded the remainder of the volumes.

With the sort features of the ebook list it is easy to find the rest of a series or other books by the same author. So you have your choice -- take them as they come or pick them up when you're ready to read them.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
that's the way i do it, grab 'em when you see 'em
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Aaah! Insatiable Collectomaniasis!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

I confess to a Squirrell mentality as well.. Downloading everything that look even slightly interesting. Will actually read....??? Who knows when...
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:04 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am very selective at what I download here. Chances that I read anything I download here are very slim. There are so many contemporary books to read before I go backwards and read old ones that...anyway, after using the Internet for 12 years I have learned to restrict myself and download only selected stuff. I hate downloading everything only because I can. Moreover, I am afraid that by the time I will get around to read old books, Sony reader and LRF format will be long forgotten and obsolete :behead:
That's why I download here only the best of the best of the best! (for me )

Last edited by astra; 06-19-2007 at 06:06 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm a convert to the selective approach. I started out by downloading everything (I'm sort of a hoarder by nature).

But then I realized that it was just obscuring the ones I really wanted to read most. I figure I can always come back and look for more, and what made the books most interesting to me was the book blurbs on the post, so I'd come back to the original post anyway.

If it was worth the effort, probably the smart thing to do would be to add metadata to the file for my rating of how much I want to read it, and a description of why it was interesting to me. But that's overkill, so I stick to just downloading the ones that I am tempted to read next. (Even so, that is a lot of books, of which only a few will become the "real" next books I read!)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #11
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
well, I don't know how did it, but someone posted a bunch (all) of the books into some newsgroup. I've downloaded them all (about 270MB) which got title slike sherlock holmes haggard, etc. (and I was only interested in sherlock holmes)

I don't know how the copyrights/distribution rights of these books are, but if they're free to host, I can host them somewhere.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks for the offer; but, many of us feel that they are hosted quite well here at MobileRead.

If the people who created the ebooks want to post them elsewhere, that is their decision. If the titles start showing up on a bunch of sites that might reduce the number of people visiting MobileRead or even joining the MobileRead community. Plus if people start to see ebooks that they have created all over the Internet it might decrease their desire to post new offering at MobileRead.

Some books posted here have copyright notices in them and those are highly restricted as to what can be done with them. They were posted here by the copyright owners themselves and MobileRead has no additional rights on these ebooks beyond offering them for download to members and visitors.

Some books are now bearing a Creative Commons notice as to what can be done with the ebook. The latest installment in the Harvard Classics series has a Creative Commons notice. While the text inside is public domain, the unique presentation is protected.

Many of the ebooks also bear the MobileRead logo. Some on the cover and some throughout the text.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:32 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
well, I don't know how did it, but someone posted a bunch (all) of the books into some newsgroup. I've downloaded them all (about 270MB) which got title slike sherlock holmes haggard, etc. (and I was only interested in sherlock holmes)

I don't know how the copyrights/distribution rights of these books are, but if they're free to host, I can host them somewhere.

Not all the books in LRF flood posted in the newsgroup were copyrights free
So be careful about what you are going to host.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:35 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post

This is not good to hear .

The fact that many of us have posted these books here to MR does not mean that they can be freely reposted elsewhere. Please respect the wishes of the uploaders when it comes to redistribution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is not good to hear .

The fact that many of us have posted these books here to MR does not mean that they can be freely reposted elsewhere. Please respect the wishes of the uploaders when it comes to redistribution.
Some of newgroup's visitors have pointed out to an uploader that if he posts anything from here he must make it known to people about the source of the books. So, we are trying to let other people know about our forum.